Desiderata, An inspirational poem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there maybe in silence.

As far as possible,without surrender be on good terms with all persons.Speak your truth quietly and clearly:and listen to others,even the dull and ignorant:they to have there story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons:they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others,you may become vain or bitter,for always there will be greater & lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.Keep interested in your own career,however humble:it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time,

Exercise caution in your business affairs,for the world is full of trickery.But let this blind you to what virtue there is:many persons strive for high ideals,and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.Especially do not feign affection.Neither be cynical about love:for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.Take kindly to the counsel of the years,gracefully surrendering the thinks of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.Beyond a wholesome discipline,be gentle with yourself.You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars:you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
    Therefore,be at peace with God,whatever you conceive him to be.

And whatever your labours and aspirations,in the noisy,drudgery of life,keep peace in your soul.With all its sham,drudgery and broken dreams,it is still a wonderful world,

Be cheerful.strive to b happy.
    Last edited by mario; November 16, 2016, 03:38 AM.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

I have this framed in a room, Mario. It's a beauty!
    Best wishes...........

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Oh Oner's!...This is a classic. I might be wrong here, but i think 'Desiderata' was found somewhere, a while ago, and no-one knows the author? Perhaps someone can clarify............

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Mario,

I love Desiderata. It became very popular back in the 60s during a turbulent time in my country and I used to read it often as a teenager to help me relax and get a grip.

Thank you for bringing it back into my consciousness.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wonderful going to get this framed and on my wall..................
          They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. Andy warhole

last drink 3rd August 2009

Comment

Desiderata" (Latin for "desired things", plural of desideratum) is an inspirational prose poem about attaining happiness in life. It begins: Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.[1] Max Ehrmann first copyrighted it in 1927, but it was widely circulated in the 1960s without attribution to him. This copyright was renewed in 1954 by Bertha Ehrmann

Comment

Mario!

I used this poem in both of my baby girls' Naming Ceremonies..it is what I desire for them always! I read it out as my wish for them!
              It is a wonderful piece.
              Chicken

Comment

thnkx for sharing it mario
                :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Thank you mario, I haven't read this in a while!

Certainly is very grounding isn't it! Thanks again!
                  'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

Just reread this, nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X