I have a lonely sober 19 YO child...no sober friends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a lonely sober 19 YO child... she is 14 months sober and 1 month out of rehab...until today she has been OK but she has no friends or family except me...we live in a new city far away from "home". She likes it here BUT, she has no friends...I don't know how to help her....she is in independent study to complete High School and her part-time job doesn't start for 2 weeks.

Until now we were OK...kept busy with "new city" stuff etc. but what do you say when your smart, healthy, strong, child say's, "I wish I had a friend"

Suggestions of a drive or walking the dogs are met with " I don't want to see everyone getting ready for a fun Sat. Night" We explored what a great Saturday night would be for her and she has no Idea, it used to be get very drunk...then it was life at the rehab for teens that she loved and prospered at and now she is gratefully sober in a new place and friendless...any thoughts or opinions are so welcomed...

Part of me thinks this just has to be borne and then around the corner something will happen to bring all sorts of people into her life. I guess I just needed to vent.... my heart is breaking for her...she has come so far and she needs peers

Hey Fresh Hope! You may want to try family members affected by drinking for more support. Hope this helps...
    :l
    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

How does she feel about attending AA or alateen? I, myself, have never had a desire to attend a meeting, but there are people I know who attend, and they always make new friends. One of the local AA chapters in my area has al/drug free outings, bbqs, beach trips, etc. (As I just typed those sentences, I thought maybe I should take my own advice. )

Your daughter is a VERY brave & smart girl for going through rehab. She is so lucky to have your support. She may need a little time to find her "way" in the new environment. It's difficult being 19 as it is, still trying to figure out the world. Does she like to read? maybe there's a local book club she might enjoy. If there are "coffee houses" nearby, maybe they offer different activities, such as live entertainment in an alcohol-free environment.

Sending hugs and well wishes! :l

Comment

fresh, my heart goes out to you and your daughter. are there any youth clubs, youth support clubs etc. in your area that she could join?
        life is simple its just not easy

Comment

She only has 2 weeks until she starts a new job....how about go to church, the movies, the park, the library, the mall. It takes time to meet new friends. Play online for two weeks. I pass a lot of time here...
          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Wow, Fresh Hope she has come so far for one so young- I wish I had got my life in gear when I was that age. I didn't even know I had a drink problem then....(although I did).

Are there any clubs she could join that don't involve drinking? It must be sooo hard at that age- most people are just starting out on their drinking 'careers'- she is trying to end hers.

Perhaps something where the participants are completely involved in health pursuits? A judo club, or a Yoga class where she will only meet health conscious people?

Maybe there is a local community center where you could fine out what is going on for young people in the area that is unlikely to involve drink or drugs?

I guess where I grew up there were probably lots of places to go that didn't involve drinking/drugging, I just never found them.

What about here coming on here and starting her own thread? it might keep the boredome at bay somewhat and there are probably lots of younger people who drop by but don't post because most of use could be their parents/grandparents :=O

Good to have you here by the way! :welcome:

Comment

I have just seen you have been here for a while- so no need for the welcome!

I just must have missed you.

Best of luck to you both- please keep us updated.

Comment

My neice went through rehab this year, and is still struggling to find her place. Her dad died a few months ago, and she had to make some big changes. She's older than you daughter, has a great job, had an apartment in Atlanta and a full social life. She's moved back with her mom now, to get things together. Changing their friends is SO hard for them. I wish you the best.
                sigpic
                Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

hope is a good name,for you, 1 month,and 14 months sober she knows wht she has to due,speciallyif she was in rehab,she knows the people around her dont feel the pain,she feels,it is a never ending story, it rips yur soul from you,nless your like us,you dont no,sad,but i will saay it,again,she knows the answer,dont hang your h ead in shame,hold it up,and you face society ,one day at a time,nothing more,nothing less,my dear i wish you well,gyco

Comment

All the suggestions are great....AA, NA, church, coffee houses. Getting out and meeting people is so hard. I cannot imagine getting sober at that age but wish I had. She is lucky to have a parent to just be there...the most important part of a relationship.
                    Redhibiscus

Comment

I knew I would get help here, I always have?.

Most family members are 1500km away and since they have a just pull up your boot straps and put down the drink attitude, kinda glad they are far away... I have another child 5 minutes away who remains very angry and resentful toward my daughter ?my older child needs help to learn how to accept and forgive the disease and behavior?. and then , hopefully understand that I feel blessed to have gotten to the point where I accept and forgive and not be angry toward me for my support and effort.

My daughter has gone to a few AA meetings, likes the people a lot and always comes home happy but she doesn't really connect or feel that she needs to be there. I am gently pushing the health club idea, we have toured one and she likes it, lots of exercise classes etc., I just have to get her to join, maybe today I will buy her a 1 month membership, less pressure that way.

I would like her to come here and post and read, but I am afraid she might resent me posting about her here.

Thanks for the support, it is one day at a time and mostly she feels grateful and hopeful?I know exercise will help. I am going to google alateen and see what they say about sober friends?.she really doesn?t believe there are any, or any that she would have things in common with.

Out to walk the pets and put my face in the sun :h
                      FH

Comment

Hi Fresh Hope,

I just wanted to add: if she likes going to AA, that's good enough! She doesn't have to analyse it too much... do I need to be here? Am I really an alcoholic? etc. She likes the people and enjoys it - sounds like an excellent way to spend time!

And about her coming here: you could either delete your posts about her or she could try a different recovery forum - there are lots out there - Smart Recovery and Sober Recovery spring to mind.
                        sigpic
                        AF since December 22nd 2008
                        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

HI Marshy, Thanks I will check out the other forums and maybe delete my posts here. She knows about this site and showed some interest. Love!!! the support here........ I feel so optimistic and hopeful :H thanks all
                          FH :h

Comment

I have had such a lift from all of you and nice PMs too!.
                            She has 2 jobs...just like that! and now no time to think about loneliness...It was suggested that she start her own social media site or group in our city for people like her....that idea received a lukewarm response, but I think it caught her interest....she does believe she isn't the only 19YO in her position ...we'll see.

FH

Comment

Working...
                            X