Words of Wisdom from Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking and reading tonight in my sobriety. I owe my over five years of sobriety to so many people here. I have been on this site a long time also and made many friends who helped me over the years. Of course for many of us, nobody was more important than Bear. I think of him so often. He was so important to me. I looked up his last thread on MWO before he died. Here it is. Comment if you wish to.

It hurts my heart to see what power alcohol has in our lives. Lots of times the question comes up as to at what point is an alcoholic really ready to do whatever it takes to get and stay sober. I know people who have quit because it was taking away from their personal time and it was annoying their family. Then I know other people who have to take the long road of multiple DWI?s (one as many as 27), losing their family, self-respect, job, house, car, vision, limbs, and intelligence. Some never are able to quit, and either die in the despair of bad health from alcohol, or take their own life from the feeling of helplessness. Alcoholic Drinking to its final conclusion never has a good outcome. Never.

When is the right time to stop drinking? I think it is a reasonable question. We are all different, and we all have a breaking point. Some of us reach it earlier, some reach it later, and some of us may never reach it at all. It is like we are all on an elevator, which is traveling down the elevator shaft faster and faster as it nears the bottom. It would be wonderful if we could all get off the elevator while it was still at the top, as some people do. Getting off is harder as the elevator spirals downward. It doesn?t really matter where we get off the elevator, as long as we get off before it crashes at the bottom.

My bottom and your bottom may be miles apart, but each exhibits the same effect on the person who steps off the elevator. We receive a new life. I had forgotten what living was until I found myself actually off of the elevator. I had taken short pauses on many floors over the years, but when I think about finally standing here watching the elevator leave without me I still get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

I finally have my life back. I can be happy again. I am a person of worth, and God has seen fit to give me another chance. I am so thankful for this site, RJ, and all of you. If it weren?t for these things I might still be on that elevator with the same old plan of jumping, just on impact. It worked in the cartoons, but in real life, it is certain death. Please don?t let alcohol push your buttons. Pick the floor you want to get off on, and continue to pick the next floor until you can get off and watch the elevator leave without you. It can and will happen if you never give up.

I love you guys,
    :huggy

God Bless
    bear
    Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Thanks Mags,

Now I realize why Bear was such an influence over many.

I'm going to print his off so I can read it again and again.

People like him and you have given me a special gift. My life.

Thank you all.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nice one Mag's.

Thank's Bear.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Wish I had known him....but his words and presence are still very much at MWO.

Thanks for posting Mags.
        "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

RIP, Bear. What an inspiration. I'm sure He is looking down on us and wishing us well.

Comment

wow, is this a powerful metaphor, and beautifully written. An elevator that's going down, down, down to end-stage. ... and his plan to jump off "just before impact". How many times have we all thought that? (just one more day, I can still handle it, my liver is still sort of functioning. God, I want off.

Thank you Mags, and thank you Bear for your wisdom and encouragement.
            Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Yep, for a big, burly biker, he sure had (has) a wise soul! :h
              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, Mags. :h
                ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

what an inspiration you and bear are to me...thank you mags.

Comment

Wow, powerful post. Thanks for sharing Mags.
                    Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                    If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                    November 2, 2012

Comment

:h Very, very nice! when and how did Bear pass away?

Lynn

Comment

It seems like it was about 2 yrs ago when he died. He was hit by a drunk driver as he was leaving an AA mtg on his motorcycle. Very sad but I am so glad he overcame his alcohol abuse.

Comment

Cinders posted this a few months back re: Bear:
                          We had a member here called Bear. It took him many, many tries to get sober but finally with the help of MWO and AA, he did.

He was the kindest, gentlest soul.

One night, on his motorcycle coming home from an AA meeting, a young mother with children in the car, driving drunk hit Bear. He was killed instantly. She went on down the road and ended up hitting someone else and finally was stopped.

Bear's family sometimes drops in to check on us and let us know how they are doing.

We miss our Bear.

The amazing thing is, his family kept reminding us that for the Grace of God, Bear could have done the same thing in his drunken days and not to hate this woman but have pity.

She took from this planet a truly beautiful soul. I cannot imagine the horror and guilt she lives with day to day in prison now.

Cindi
                          it's on this thread:
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...t-2-34493.html
                          Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Good stuff, Mags...

Comment

Thanx for digging this up, Mags. A very wise man was Bear and much beloved.

Comment

Working...
                              X