Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy and Content Sober Living

Hi Abbers!

So much is written on these boards regarding the struggle and the pitfalls of alcohol.....and there is much to be written on this topic!

But, many of us have Found Our Way Out and are now living happily and content without alcohol in our lives. Yes, life still kicks our butt sometimes, we still have the normal ups and downs, but the difference now is that we deal with all of this with a clear head, without the complications that alcohol brings to our lives.

So, with that being said, I would love for other abbers to add all of the tricks to living alcohol free and all the positives that Sober Living brings! Don't be afraid to post if your thoughts have been posted before....just chime in!

My first thought is about changing the way that I think......I am now grateful for sober living, I do not dwell on thinking that I am somehow "deprived" by not drinking. I no longer "wish" that I could drink...or have "just one"....honestly....how many people are truly satisfied after just one!
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Great idea Kate!
    I like to think about all the things I am capable of doing now I am sober. Yes I still struggle with issues but who doesnt. Now I am able to begin to solve them.
    I am looking at a new career right now, exploring myself and my emotions and trying to figure out what works for me to make my life the best it can be.
    If I was drinking this just simply wouldnt happen
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I find that I have a joyousness about me that I was missing. I am in touch with my "inner voice" that guides me that I was unable to hear with an alcohol brain. I can start and finish projects. My temper is tamed. That's all for now. I need to find a microwave.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gone through many changes in the last 11 months all for the good,
        I understand myself more than i ever did before,I have learned what was the matter with me and i no know what makes me tick, I will never be alone again,I am just one of many who have the illness of alcoholism and one of many who have learned what to do about it, I am not an odd fish or a square peg in a round hole, I seem to slowly been finding my right place in the world, I am content to face the rest of my life without alcohol, I have made the great decision once & for all, I have surrendered as gracefully as possible to the inevitable,I hope i have no more reservations,I hope that nothing can happen to me now that would justify my taking a drink,No death of a dear one,No great calmity in any area of my life should justify me in drinking, even if i were on a desert isle far away from all you here should i ever feel the right to drink, For me alcohol is out-- period, I will be always safe unless i take that first drink.
        I also have learned to be honest,what a relief,no more ducking and dodging,no more tall tails,no more pretending to be what i am not, My cards are on the table for all the world to see,I am what i am, as popeye used to say in his comics, I have had an unsavory past. I am sorry, yet, it cannot be changed now, All that is yesterday and is done, But now my life is an open book, Come and look at it, if you want to, I am trying to do the best i can, I will fail often, but i wont make excuses, I will face things as they are and will not run away,as i have said i am one among many and i do not have to depend entirely on myself anylonger.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I am now truly grateful for good health, which was something I took for granted before. AL was really the only reason I was getting to the point of no longer having it. I now feel better physically, my blood pressure is where it was in my 20s, annoying skin problems I had are gone, and my skin looks alive now.

I am grateful for sobriety, and give thanks every day. While life is not perfect, I feel so much more confident in dealing with it. By overcoming AL dependence, other issues look so much less intimidating. I feel like even if I became homeless tomorrow, I'd be a sober homeless person, and no one could take away my sobriety but me. No one can knock me down but me.

I take responsibility for my sobriety and the continuation of it. It is ALWAYS my choice whether I pick up a drink. There is NEVER an exception to this rule. Good intentions are only as valuable as the follow through - THEY DON'T COUNT IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH. EVER. I learned this the hard way, I deluded myself for years. I also never count an AF day until it's over. Many a morning I said' "no more", only to conveniently forget about it by afternoon, or put it off one more day. That's delusional, and when it doesn't work over and over.... It's easier to see in hindsight of course, but something I must never forget.

Changing my thinking patterns, always seeing the glass as half full, rather than half empty. I am not deprived by not having one or two drinks (like that ever happened!). Leaving behind deprivation thinking was big. That is the demon talking. AL is NOT necessary for life. It caused way more destruction in mine, left me as an immature 18 year old in many ways. Now I'm learning at age 54 how to interact with people sober, realizing shyness can be overcome without AL, that I am still fun, that I am a nice person (that was the chronic hangover, not some character fault). I now look forward to a healthy and hopefully long life. I actually used to hope I didn't live into old age. Now I see hope, and no longer fear the reality of aging. It's going to happen to us all, and we have some choices as to how it plays out - how we choose to think, and how we choose to care for ourselves. I hope I can always keep that positive thought pattern, no matter what. That is so much easier when sober.
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

This is an awesome topic Kate. My life is so different in so very many ways. People who never really knew me might think not much has changed. I live in the same house. Mr. Doggy and I still have the same business. We still promote our business the same old ways. We have the same neighbors and we still put our pants on one leg at a time.

But so much for me has changed on the inside. Mario, your whole post resonated with me today and especially this line:
            I also have learned to be honest,what a relief,no more ducking and dodging,no more tall tails,no more pretending to be what i am not,

I never thought of myself as a liar, and yet I have figured out that inside, my life was basically one big fat lie. Dying inside, and trying to put a different face on the outside of it. I'm learning to understand the depth of my past BS. And through that, I'm living to learn in the sunlight of truth - first and foremost being honest with myself. These are things that I didn't have a clue about until long after the booze was out of my picture. It's very freeing.

I have enjoyed reading the posts so far, and look forward to the ones yet to come!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

People inspire me daily here. Its something I never would have known drunk. who is to say friendship is so fickle as needing to know names or meet. Time and time peoples stories make me cry healing tears. I Take my blessings where I find them and thank you.
              I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

Lots of positives, but the first thing that popped into my head was: freedom. I didn't realise when I was drinking how much alcohol affected my decisions. I was always planning ahead to my next drink and everything else had to fit around that. And then the hangovers would also leave me unable to do things I might have wanted to.

I love being able to take the day as it comes. Of course, like everyone, I still have responsibilities and things I have to do but I can be so much more flexible now I'm not thinking about how soon I can start drinking today. And I can plan for tomorrow knowing that I won't have a hangover to contend with.

Alcohol is no longer in control of me. I'm in control of me now - and I love that.
                sigpic
                AF since December 22nd 2008
                Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Kate,
                  Thanks for starting this thread it will prove very inspirational to all us Newbies. I can vouch that at the beginning the thought of never drinking again or not being able to enjoy life AF is a serious issue. Threads like this are very helpful.:goodjob:

Comment

Davie Souter;771590 wrote: . I can vouch that at the beginning the thought of never drinking again or not being able to enjoy life AF is a serious issue.
                    Hi Davie,

I simply couldn't imagine life without alcohol when I was first trying to stop. But I kept plodding on, putting one foot in front of the other (some might even say ODAT!)... and here I am. You can do that too!
                    sigpic
                    AF since December 22nd 2008
                    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Kate,
                      Great thread. I enjoy the words that I read here from others on the path. Some ahead, some to follow, but all on the same path of a life well lived. Simply put and honest.

Thanks Kate for starting this,

Jult

Comment

July...Yes, I understand....longevity in sobriety is great....but, it is not all about accumulating time...it is about, how we live each day. There are many ahead of us and many just starting out. The important thing is that we live a sober life....a life that is content, a Life Well Lived! For that is Truly, The Prize!

XO
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hi All
                          Until you step away from al you don't realize how it takes over your total being.
                          If I went to a baseball game where is the beer man.
                          If I went out to dinner why is the waiters taking so long to take my drink order.
                          Do we have enough beers for the boat trip are the beers cold for after the softball game.
                          Everything I was involved in was secondary.
                          Now everything I enjoy as a Hobie is my focal point.My physical fitness level is important so I can perform at my best in tennis tournaments.I used to play thinking about the cooler of beer waiting for me. I was never enjoying fully what used to be a passion.
                          Looking back on my life I was passionate about drinking.How sad!
                          I now go out to eat and look forward to the taste of the food. I compete putting my all into my effort on the court no hangover excuses. I am enjoying life and feel I am stopping and living in the moment.
                          When I first stopped drinking I could never imagine I would rather be at home with a good book then out with the gang drinking.I now prefer it and enjoy the control and calm I have in my life.Yes the control over not drinking which I never had before because I thought I would miss the lifestyle that went along with it.
                          It was the wrong choice for a lifestyle and it had taken over control of every aspect of my life.
                          I have the control back . Not the control over al but the control over the decision not to drink.
                          No thanks I don't drink do you have a soda. Nobody I know can imagine how good it feels to me inside to say that.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                          AF 5-16-08
                          AF 5-16-08

Comment

all so true Casea. But try sitting alone in an empty room with just a drink and no entertainment,(on second thoughts please don't) it ain't much fun!
                            I am blessed with love joy and sobriety.

Comment

Hi All
                              I thought the tread was about the positives in a sober lifestyle? No I no longer want to sit by myself drinking.Would not enter my mind to do.
                              AF 5-16-08

Comment

Working...
                              X