Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Life Brings Hardship...

(Got this in my emal today...)

When you face a trial, what is your first response? You probably would like to run away as quickly as possible to escape it. Though this is a normal feeling, God has a different way.

It is not the trials in your life that develop or destroy you, but rather your response to those hardships. How, then, should we react when difficulties feel overwhelming?

First, trust God. Believe His Word and reflect on ways He has been faithful in the past. He assures us that He limits our trials and enables us to endure.

Second, persevere. Even when we don't understand and the pain seems too great to bear, we should never quit. Continue seeking the Lord through His Word and prayer. Cling to hope in Christ, and praise Him in the midst of the pain.

Third, remember that our sovereign God is in control. He's allowing this adversity for a reason and will demonstrate His sustaining power through it. Even though the pain might feel intolerable, the Lord will prosper us. Scripture compares our growth to gold, which is refined through fire (1 Peter 1:7). Often, I hear believers reflect on a difficult time and admit that despite the intense hurt, they wouldn't change the situation. They see the beauty God created through the struggle and realize its value.

We will encounter difficulties—sometimes intense and painful trials that seem too much for us. Yet we can rely on our heavenly Father to deliver and grow us in ways we could never imagine. He doesn't demand that we endure on our own, but He does allow us to respond and trust Him.
    Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Thanks for this post. I was doing ok moderating but the last few days I've been drinking too much. I feel overwhelmed and want to numb out. But I need to trust God instead. This morning when I was feeling remorseful again I prayed, "Please fix me..." and felt a funny feeling in my head. Interesting. I feel more determined now. Just to have one drink very occasionally. Moderation can be slippery, but I feel overwhelmed by the thought of abstinence.

Comment

aga - I STILL can't bring myself to say: I'll NEVER drink again!!

But, through trial & error, I'm finding it's easier to not drink vs. drinking "some" on occasion... While I'm able to have 1-2 drinks when out (mainly because I'm Very paranoid about drinking & driving), I've seen where just those couple can lead to drinking heavily within the next few days. It's like it Awakens the need...

I'm a week AF right now. I had rather strong urge earlier, but luckily, I have to go to Christmas party tonight, so I just Couldn't drink! (God works in mysterious ways...)

A lot of people on the site say, go 1 month AF, then think about moderation... I have gone a month, but it's been at least 3 months ago. Think I need to do it again.

After even this short time AF, though, I'm really seeing how much better I feel. I actually feel like my depression has mostly lifted!!
      Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

I know how you feel!! just that thought of never drinking makes me shudder! ( did I spell that right)
        BUT, the energy in my head battling trying to moderate is exhausting. I read in the bible we are a SLAVE to our sins and freedom is what we seek, I know that the drinking is making me feel like a trapped animal, constantly looking for ways to get out. I am finally realizing after millions of attempts to moderate that if I want the freedom I seek that I have to get off the ride completely. Some might beable to but I know I've tried WAY too many times and I just creep back into my ugly habits.
        May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Working...
        X