Daily Joys Of Sobriety Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me that as we do the work of giving up alcohol, or changing it's role in our lives, it's easy to feel a sense of loss and deprivation. How will I relax? How will I have fun? How will I face social situations, or reward myself at the end of a long day?

Yet as I read through the posts at MWO, I see many, many moments of joy found in not drinking. A happily sober moment with a child; a work out that would not have happened with a hangover; a night up late reading, because the writer hadn't passed out early. Sober life is full of these little joys, and I want to start noticing them and sharing them. I hope you'll do the same.

Yesterday I:

Got the kids off to school in good cheer, because without drinking the night before I'd paired up their mittens, washed and put away their laundry, and slept soundly. It meant that we could start our day laughing and relaxed, instead of hurried and irritable.

Met friends for coffee and since I wasn't hung over, I could chat and relax and feel like myself. I didn't have to try to hide feelings of fatigue or anxiety that come with hangovers.

Took great joy in putting my six year old to bed. I held him in my arms as he fell asleep, and I knew I didn't smell like wine. I could really feel the joy of having him in my life and I thanked God for him.

Ate only nourishing foods, and in healthy amounts, because I didn't lose my inhibitions or good intentions and binge on empty carbs.

Today I:

Got to wake up and remember "I didn't drink last night"!

I'd love it if others would use this thread to take a moment to notice the sober joys of each day. It feels good!

Love to all,
    Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

What a lovely idea for a thread Sara.

Today I: had 8 hours sleep, not waking up at 3am and hardly able to go back to sleep as I had drank! I went and made my brunch without having to put make-up on first in case flatmates saw my ruined face - as I actually looked good and healthy when I woke up sober Little things, but good things
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Yes, Sara, it really IS the small blessings that suddenly make us realize we have made a difference in our lives. I'm able to get in the car and drive anytime, without worrying about if I've had AL, too much AL, will I get stopped (again! NIGHTMARE!!). Hubs says he can come home without worrying anymore what he will find, or worrying when he's away what I'll do. We were having horrible, screaming fights in that last year I drank, and tho we may still have disagreements, I can handle them calmly and resolve them quickly. So each day, I thank God for my blessings.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Yes Sara.....Being sober, now I can wake up in the morning and face all my daily problems head on ! ( wait ...........was'nt that why I started drinking in the first place !?! Ha! ) Don't take me seriously.........just playing around....It is great to see life through clear lens........IAD
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

I now have the ability to enjoy a lot of small things. It's like being awake after many years - I'd ceased to really notice little things, much less enjoy them.

I have lately really taken pleasure in a cup of hot tea or bowl of soup after being outside in the cold - last year that would have been AL to warm me up. I'm still a night person (all that AL never did make me sleep, I was just still awake and drunk), and still do all I did before and happily without AL, and don't have to worry about waking up my roommate crashing around in the dark, trying to hide the fact I'm drunk.

I no longer waste half a day hungover, and I'm a much nicer person. I can leave the house without makeup again. Some friends who haven't seen me in 30 years saw a recent picture of me and told me I hadn't aged and was still gorgeous (their words, but I'll take 'em!) - and I wasn't wearing any makeup there either.

I look in the mirror and see a healthy, happy person. I feel like a healthy, happy person.
          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Great Idea! Something that always held me back from quitting was not understanding how things could be better without al. Well, I still don't know for sure, but I'm learning something new everyday. Thanks for starting this!

I like the freedom of NOT having to plan my life around al in so many different, obnoxious ways.
            Nobody asked for this; we're just stuck cleaning up the mess. -

Comment

Sara, you sound great - I'm very happy for you

Today, I spent the afternoon walking through the Conservatory at Longwood Gardens, something I've done many times in my life. But today I had a spring in my step, wasn't tired or dragging myself through (waiting to get to the end)! I could smell & appreciate the blooming flowers & moist earth. I wasn't annoyed by someone blocking my view or getting in my way, I was patient

It just keeps getting better & better

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

For me, it is the simplicity of my life. Al creates a tumoltous world (okay, we create it, al is just the catalyst). Getting all of the things I had previuosly let go to hell in a hand basket, including myself, are very rewarding. Straightening out my finances, catching up on the house, organizing photos, shopping for new clothes, losing 15lbs, not looking like five miles of bad pavement so I get to enjoy more of my morning instead of searching for a better concealer. The joy of not wondering if I was going to drink and if I did, how was I going to manage to duck out of my social engagement so I could drink at home later. Going to the dentist for a checkup. Getting my teeth cleaned.

Mostly, for me, it is making my coffee machine ready for the next morning. Waking up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee and taking a quick glance in the mirror and not say "uugghh".

PS ...I went to the local sports bar tonight to watch the football game. Only had a salad and two club sodas and left at half time. My husband wanted to stay, but I made him bring me home. Not ONCE did I entertain the idea of having one. I have to much to lose tommorow.
                AF since 2/4/10
                Nicotine free since 3/31/10
                FINALLY FREE

Comment

For me, the hope that is inching its way back into my heart.

I appreciate this thread so much--thank you for starting it.
                  "Tell me, what do you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

Comment

Today I: Decided at the drop of a hat "lets take the baby to the pool".No need to count empty bottles before driving...Thanks MWO
                    AF since 10/26/2009

It will be five years sober 10/26/2014

Comment

I love being able to read at night and the next day remembering what I have read, sleeping like a baby and waking up HAPPY! Also, not watching the clock constantly waiting for 5 o clock......wine time. Loving that fact that my life/thoughts no longer revolve around alcohol. Grateful every day...

Dora

Comment

During the day I look forward to relaxing at night instead of dealing with the angst involved with drinking. I don't have to make decisions about what to drink, how much, how I really shouldn't be drinking, how I'll feel in the morning...it's just so much easier thinking 'no thanks' & getting on with life.

xo

Comment

Nice thread Sara and some great responses folks...

If I may quote Dancealot "It's like being awake after many years - I'd ceased to really notice little things, much less enjoy them. "

If I had a rand (or preferably a pound ) for every time I have heard from those nearest and dearest over the past 7 months "Wow, you are so much more relaxed" or "You are so happy and positive" etc etc....simply put, the fog has lifted...

I truly feel like I have been given a fresh start at things and I am facing each day with a clear vision and purpose.

Thank you to MWO and all on here, I am eternally grateful!
                          'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

Thanks for the thread and all the posts. I always pick up something valuable when I am here.

I now look forward to new friendships that don't have to stop at 5 p.m.. I now know that I have pushed friends and acquaintances away so as not to let them get too close. Heaven forbid, if I allow them to get close, they may want to associate with me after 5 in the afternoon. And this was my time for drinking. And I mean serious drinking. Downing beer as fast as I could so I would be buzzed sooner rather than later. The optimism about these friendships in whatever form they take is incredible.

com
                            Com1

Comment

Woke up this morning (sunday) to the joy of not having a hangover!
                              Was in the gym by 9am, a complete unheard of in my previous AL LIFE.
                              Came home, made a large cup of coffee and snuggled up on the sofa to talk online to "my new best friend" who i met here on MWO.....

Rain has stopped so now off out to walk the dog in the fresh air..... what a perfect peaceful sunday!
                              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                              AF - JAN 1st 2010
                              NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                              X