How do you handle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle this?

Well I am finally back on the boards!!I need a little advise-I am going on a trip for four days and I will be around a lot of people who drink. I am now alcohol free for 2 weeks. I am watching my weight so that is helping me alot through this time. I am really dreading falling off the wagon. My husband is supporting me and not drinking as well. How do I get my mind off of thinking of slipping? I am already thinking I am going to fail. I want out of this mind game. I have prayed and asked for help and even joined a church that both me and my husband can attend together for spiritualality. (spelling????) anyway, any suggestions to my vacation to be alcohol free and temptation free??

Shitzulover.......

How do you handle this?

Don't 'expect' to fail! Set up a plan, write it down, for every possible scenario. If you feel tempted, walk away, QUICKLY! But the expectation of failure is a set up to drink. Change your mindset NOW, before your in the situation.
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

How do you handle this?

Try to minimize it as much as you can. If alot of people are sitting around drinking, get busy and do something else...do something in the kitchen, play with the kids, take a walk, etc.

Have a glass of seltzer water or something else in your hand so people won't offer you something to drink.

Have an exit plan and let your husband know what it is. Then, if you really start to feel uncomfortable, you can give your husband a signal and get out of dodge.

Get your mind out of deprivation mode (i.e., I am deprived because I can't drink). Think of the gift you are giving to yourself and your husband for not drinking.

Think about how you would feel about yourself the next day if you did drink (like shit right?). Now, think about how you will feel about yourself when you get through this vacation without drinking. One victory at a time!!

Good for you for thinking ahead and anticipating when things might get difficult. It's so important.

PS. I have a Shih Tzu too.
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

How do you handle this?

Hi shitzulover,
        first of all i like to say well done on two weeks being sober, I got to say my husband has help me a lot by not drinking at home, but he does not have the problem, it me. Having your husband there beside you, and not drinking as well, will be a great help. when i went out a few weeks ago my first time out since xmas i was really nervous, i had to check that the people that bought the rounds in, had to make sure there was no AL in my coke. It funny i notice i even gulp my sofe drinks down really fast. One thing is to make sure you eat before you meet up with friends who are drinnking around you never go out on a empty stomach. Your already Thinking a head your not going to fail.
        Wishing you All the best and keep in the safe zone and your be ok. x
        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

How do you handle this?

all of the above and just rememeber you want to remember this time of how much fun you had ..not a bad hangover feeling..
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

How do you handle this?

Hi again,
            come of the p.c and i was thinking that i had a thread called Thinking ahead b4 the beast i will bump it up for you, to read it may help you out...there also good advise on there as well as on here. Hope it help out.
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

How do you handle this?

try these threads as well

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...lan-41280.html
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

How do you handle this?

Having your husband's support by not drinking around you is wonderful!

Don't plan on slipping. Everyone has made such great comments.

Have a great vacation! Make happy memories and come home feeling proud you did it!
                Whether you think you can....... or think you can't......you are making the choice.

Comment

How do you handle this?

The others have said just about all.
                  If offered a drink, just say something like.....I don't drink, I want to be fully alert for the meeting, No thanks, I'm losing weight, I'll have an orange juice etc. It really is that easy. It is a mind game. Tell yourself it is not a big deal. Tell yourself drinking is not important, then let it go, and try not to keep thinking about it. We don't think all day long aboit butter like RJ says in her book!!

Good luck.

Comment

How do you handle this?

i find when i watch others drinking, most of them dont drink like i do. they SIP and enjoy the moment. i would GULP and look for my next drink and get drunk. this makes me sure that i cant have just one drink as it will become a battle and a bottle and more.
                    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

How do you handle this?

Congrats on your 2 weeks!....in the beginning, I lived "just for the now"......don't allow the stinking thinking and don't expect to fail...expect to win!! Having your husbands support is fantastic...you are not on your own.

Fiona
                      :groupluv:

Enjoying sobriety since 27th May 2008

Comment

How do you handle this?

dont worry

hi new to this sight hope im doing this right please forgive me for eny mistakes ill get the hang of it all you need to do if you feel uneasy in a situation were booze is concerned is move out of the situation in the early days when i was trying to come off i just avoided all situations where i felt uneasy as time goes by you wont even think about booze you will be fine just keep a positive attitude it will get better good luck my last drink was 15 yrs ago
                        just keep telling yourself you dont drink now :new::goodjob::new:

Comment

How do you handle this?

FionaS;836174 wrote: Congrats on your 2 weeks!....in the beginning, I lived "just for the now"......don't allow the stinking thinking and don't expect to fail...expect to win!! Having your husbands support is fantastic...you are not on your own.

Fiona
                          Very wise advice, in my opinion (notice Fiona also has almost 2 years AF).
                          ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

How do you handle this?

Thanks Dancelot,

This had been a really hard 2 years...getting divorced....my whole life changed, drastically, I know I only got through it and will continue to handle all the little or huge curve balls that life throws at me.....AF. Finding me, has been the most incredible journey and I am so looking forward to finding the rest of me!

I go to meetings, I have metaphysical healing done....a whole new life.....
                            :groupluv:

Enjoying sobriety since 27th May 2008

Comment

Working...
                            X