Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to be AF when on the road?

Hi there all,

I have been trying kick the booze for a long time and I am getting desperate - hence back here. I normally do not have any drinks in the house, but.... at the moment, I am spending 3-4 days of my week travelling and staying in hotels with minibars and airport lounges. Any tricks and tips how to resist the airline club's bar?

Mizumum

Hi there Miz,

I don't know alot about being on the road as I am a stay at home Mum but I would imagine the temptation to be greater, nobody to be accoutable to, lonliness, the sheer availability of it.

REMEMBER

H.A.L.T.

Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired

This tried and true slogan helps us to stay in touch with our feelings and needs. Sometimes the onset of anxiety or a sudden drop in mood can be traced to our having forgotten to eat so our blood sugar levels are off kilter. Sometimes we may be carrying a resentment, or feeling lonely, or we are just too tired. Taking a little time out from our busy day to ask ourselves if we are feeling too H
    ungry, A
    ngry, L
    onely, or T
    ired, gets us in touch with our feelings. When we know what we are feeling we can make choices and take the appropriate action to get our needs for food, companionship, or rest, met.

Being too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired, are conditions that leave us more vulnerable to the temptations that lead us away from our program of dual recovery. Part of recovery is learning to pay attention to these inner signals and practice appropriate ways to meet our needs and resolve issues in a manner that will enhance our abstinence and serenity.

How to Keep Sober While Traveling

Hope this helps x
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Mizumum,
      I can only suggest in advance that maybe you could ask the hotel to not have any AL in your room? - i know this can be done.. and keep distracted from going down to the hotel bar.. not easy, I can imagine.. but do you like reading? maybe read some good books, call a friend, go for a walk in the fresh air (be safe though if walking at night), go on the internet (which most hotels have) - and check in here if possible! we are here for you,
      Katie xx
      "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Thanks one2 and Katie,

I'll request that AF room and as I have wireless internet everywhere I can always check-in here. I also close by to gyms, but I just feel too tired to go there. I think it is what I have done to myself with drink. I need to stay AF and rest and then I can get back to exercise one day - sooner, I hope.

And HALT, that is so important. I am workaholic, too, so I do not check how I am during the day. Should check-in here every now and then during the day.

It is 1st June tomorrow. I have had few drinks tonight so tomorrow, day 1. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,
        Mizumum

Comment

Make sure you do, there will always be someone here to chat to......Just making a plan can be half the battle Miz xxx

AF 10th May 2010
          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Thanks!!!

Just feel so weak and miserable today. For a long time my life has just been working and if not at work, drinking and putting on weight. No more. I cannot wait to get my supplements that I ordered yesterday.

:thanks:
            Mizumum

Comment

That is the attitude...tomorrow is a new day, a new month and the beginning of Miz's NEW life....we are behind you all the way..Ok?
              Please use us!

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Miz,
                You can do this.. you have to believe in yourself.. you are here which is a great step.. this place has helped me in so many positive ways! Wishing you the best, and it is great you have a plan underway.. you are looking ahead which is fantastic, preparation is the key!
                "It works if you work it, because you are worth it!!!"

:groupluv:

Comment

Thanks!

You are encouraging. It is good to be here as I am able to talk about my drinking anywhere else.

It's early nite and reading now for me as tomorrow morning I am off to Sydney for 5 days. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Mizumum:thanks:

Comment

some things that have worked for me:
                    sudoku
                    crossword puzzles
                    calling my friends or sisters,
                    journalling
                    I am a quilter so going to quilt stores or quild meetings. (any hobbies you could indulge in a strange town that don't involve booze?
                    Remember that you are making this choice for YOU. It may seem like a perfect boozing opportunity but YOU are the one suffering from the continued use of AL. Be proactive and don't get bored and don't get too down. Find a real fun "splurgy" type thing you can do at the hotel, like a massage or something and then do it.

Good luck and keep at it.

Comment

Hi Mizmum and welcome

I too like you work away from home although I do have an apartment not a hotel room. I know just how it feels to get in from work and not be able to switch off to be able to start relaxing and no concentration to follow a structered plan. (not sure if its the same with you)

I am learning to discipline myself albiet slowly. I read alot on this site, bought some music dvd's and got myself a heap load of books

I look forward to following your journey and maybe we can help each other :l
                      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Working...
                      X