running instead of drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi everyone,i have always been a bit of a runner(when not drinking)so when i decided to quit drinking 2 mths ago i began to train for a half marathon,gradually i began to increase my mileage and the weight began to start coming off,everything was going great i was doing 8 klms before work every second day then 12 klms on weekends feeling great.i was totally focused on the upcoming event on the goldcoast then 3 weeks before the event i pulled a muscle in my thigh,told by doc not to run for a month,it has devestated me,but not enough to start drinking again as i know that when my thigh heals up i shall slowly get back to where i left off,hopefully it wont flair up again.are there any runners out there who have experienced bursitis of the thigh?if you have could u please tell me more about it.thankyou.stay focused people!!!!!

nomore,

Wow, good on you for taking up the running!! Exercise is key to helping stay sober. Endorphins and all that.

Bummer on the bursitis. I have never had it so I can't be much help there.

But, as a long long ago runner, I can tell you that not picking up that first drink and then the subsequent many that will follow ensures you can get back in shape quickly.

If you drink, kiss that good-bye!!

There will be more marathons and you will want your chance to run those.

Hope you heal quickly!!

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I just Googled it and was wondering if your doctor prescribed any physio and anti-inflammatories?

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

impatient to run

hi cinders thankyou for your reply and encouragement,iam on anti inflammatries but he didnt say about physio i shall enquire into it.yes there will be other events and i will get over this little hurdle.staying sober keeps me focused on my goal.:thanks:

Comment

Hi no more and Cinders
          I recently decided to take up running and it's great.
          I'm lucky enough not to have weight issues but I'm keen to see what my limits are and get as fit as I can in the process.
          I'm 48 and is reasonable shape and I've just started running and I can run 5k without stopping (just). There are plenty of websites out there that help a lot with targets and future aims (something that I have found since quitting the booze is that there is indeed a future worth living for) I'm finding the feeling of being out of breath again and the endorphine rush quite exhilarating after such a long time depending on my work to stay fit. I thought that I might get bored running on my own but I think I prefer it. I can't join any club due to my shifts at work so that's out but I will keep this up and I'll be out rain or shine 3/4 times a week just now and would be interested to hear from any other runners with something to share.
          Thanks for reading

Comment

Hi nomore, cinders, and popeye:

I took up running about 2 years ago (when I was 54) as part of a 'let's get in shape' program. I was never athletic but always very trim until I reached my 40's and then I managed to put on the extra pounds until I was 35 pounds overweight!

So, I worked with a personal trainer and really focused on better nutrition and exercise and took off the weight which I have been able to maintain. As a result, running has become one of my passions and I use it to stay in shape and maintain a positive healthy attitude.

I do most of my running at the gym on a treadmill except for the races that I run. Over the last 2 years, I've completed 2 half-marathons, 2 10-mile races, 1 10-K race and 8 5-K races. My goal is to run a full marathon within the next year.

When I am training, I generally run between 35 - 40 miles a week.

Unfortunately, right now I am sidelined as a result of a non-running injury to my foot which required surgery but I hope to start running (gradually) again within the next 2 weeks.

Here is a website that you can use to create and account and log your running journals. I find that it is a helpful tool and helps keeps me motivated:

RunningAHEAD - The FREE online running log for all your training data

Happy trails, guys!
            John
            AF since 7/13/2010

Comment

Thanks for the link, PA! Glad your foot's mending. Keep a grip on those knives!

Nomore, after surviving a spring triathlon in July, I signed up for 5Ks to keep me motivated. I've lost 14 lbs since April (okay, not having the minimum of 4 drinks per night to the maximum of 12--or thereabouts--probably had someting to do with this ). Right after I started running in March, I came down with a pinched nerve root that caused numbness and pain in my left arm. I was sent to physical therapy and couldn't do any high-impact exercise for 6 weeks. Very frustrating, but it passed, and so will your thigh injury! Don't do what I did and try and run through it though, I ended up making it worse.

Running for me is a kind of Forrest Gump thing--it helps me work through pain, in a good way. And there's something meditative about it, once your breathing hits a rhythm and you're in a groove. Love that, and the company of other runners here.

Pride
              AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
              "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

A newsbrief in my work inbox this a.m. about exercise reducing relapse:

Aerobic Exercise Attenuates Reinstatement of Cocaine-Seeking Behavior and Associated Neuroadaptations in the Prefrontal Cortex

Biological Psychiatry, 08/13/2010 Lynch WJ et al. ? Aerobic exercise may reduce relapse vulnerability by preventing the increase in cocaine?seeking and associated neuroadaptations in the prefrontal cortex that develop over an abstinence period.
                AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Thanks John, and Pride...Love your signature. Made me laugh.

Comment

Hi Everyone!

In the past few years or so, I can honestly say I have grown to love my running time. Although I am no pro or anything, and have to powerwalk then run at times.

I used to hate running with a passion, ICK!! But its amazing how your mind can change about things, I have grown to LOVE it! I look forward to it now.

One thing I have learned to do, is just simply DO IT. I do not even think about it anymore, I throw myself outside with my doggie and my Ipod and GO GO GO.

Happy running everyone!
                    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

Hi Everyone!!

Each time I quit smoking I trained for a marathon---I did 3. Now I am nicotine free and can't even imagen smoking again. Now that I am wine-free I am training without a headache or hang-over. ...and looking forward to a time when I can't imagen drinking any more!!

Because of injuries, I took the summer off of my triatholon training--and am slowly bringing up my running milage. But what I am really looking forward to is swimming again. That doesn't start until Oct.

I suggest to all who have running injuries to first of all---stretch before and after running....don't underestimate its importance. Plus, if you run outdoors, it is a good idea not to run on pavement...bad for your joints. It is much better to run on a path or dirt road (if you are lucky enough to live near one) Also, for those of you who have to take time off your running feet...try swimming!! It really is a great workout, and there is no impact and very little injury associated.

As I feel like a drink, I put on my shoes and run....both get better with practice!!...and I am going for a run now!!

Wonka

Comment

Better runner for being AF?

:new:Hello fellow runners. . Only on Day 2 and just about to head off in my stinky trainers to get me through particularly bad time of day for cravings. Signed up to run half marathon soon. Hoping being AF will help me do better than last years hungover effort. Sadly my poor ipod is half working. Maybe I should treat myself to new one with money saved. Anyone feel like a better runner for being AF?

Comment

Hi, all,

For me, running is a lifesaver. Somehow it lifts my mood and makes me feel more integrated, which is hard to explain. As I get older (53), it's getting harder and harder, but I'm still slogging along at about 3.5 miles nearly every day. Everything hurts, but it's worth it!

CFW

Comment

I have been running for about 12 years now and the last 8 very consistantly. I have completed many Half Marathons and 10 km races. Running pulled me out of depression and keeps me sane. I hate it when a hangover interferes with my runs.
                            Lately I have started snowshoeing. It is great excercise and lots of fun too.
                            Don't worry, be happy!

Comment

Happy to hear of other runners. I have just taken it up again (after about 10 years 'off'!). One of my goals for this year is to run a half marathon for the first time. I am aiming for one in late May. I started the year highly motivated and then got clobbered by a really horrible cold a couple of weeks ago. I am just getting back into training this week.
                              Would love to have/give support and encouragement to others on here with a fitness goal.

Keep going everyone!!
                              Bean

Comment

Working...
                              X