Weekly AA Thread - Week of July 5 - July 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello fellow travelers! Mary, I am so excited to hear how well Patty is doing. She is strong and you are strong. Thank you for sharing with us as your example gives us all hope that we too can handle challenges and difficult times SOBER. And it will not only be OK, it will be way better than how things used to be when we were drinking our way through life.

So good to see Cherbear and WF and HG and Phil and Cindi and Dance and the whole gang here!

The convention was awesome and indeed a magical and spiritual experience for me. I can't even describe what the meeting was like on Friday night in the Alamodome. There were over 57,000 conference attendees the last I heard (the number may have gone higher) and I'm guessing most of them were in the dome Friday night. There were people from 90 countries represented. The meeting was simultaneously translated into 7 languages other than English. There were two men from Germany sitting to our left and two women from outside of the US (Eastern Europe somewhere I think) to our right.

The theme for this conference was "A Vision for You." They talked about Bill W and Dr. Bob's vision of being able to go "anywhere" and find an AA meeting and help for alcoholism - one alcoholic helping another. There were countries represented at this conference that I had never even heard of! I think the vision is coming to fruition.

The quiet time followed by the serenity prayer was amazing. The optional Lords Prayer was amazing. Gave me chills. More importantly, the message of hope in recovery was everywhere. The speakers in the meetings were just regular AA members like you and me, with the exception of topics where outside expertise was called for. (i.e. I went to one meeting on the subject of alcoholism treatment and the medical community so the speakers were doctors and social workers). Listening to all the different people - men and women from all places and walks of life - just solidified for me that my life without alcohol is full of promise, and that WITH alcohol, that promise can quickly go away.

One speaker who stood out was a man who started drinking as a teen like so many of us. He hit bottom in his twenties where he was "unemployed and unemployable." He wasn't exactly homeless but didn't exactly have a regular place to live either. In recovery, he ended up back in school and eventually became a lawyer. Today he is a judge. He continues to stay very involved in helping other alcoholics and up until he became a judge, did a lot of prison outreach.

There were so many similar stories. No matter where we are in life, there are lots of great possibilities unless we drink them away.

I enjoyed getting to know my local friend and traveling companion better. She has a strong message in her own personal recovery. It doesn't matter where we have been. As long as we don't drink, life can get better.

I'm looking forward to continuing my step work and continuing to seek opportunities to help others. Addiction to alcohol and drugs is just insidious - robbing us of everything while we're not looking. Cunning, baffling, powerful. I remain optimistic about some of the new things emerging in the medical community - Bac in particular and I appreciate following the journies here with that. Hopefully treatment options will continue to get better. I hope people will continue to see AA as a program that affords companionship and understanding from other alcoholics, and a way to learn to live sober (beyond the "stop drinking" part) that a drug can never provide. I thought it was interesting that the 30,000,000th Big Book was presented to a representative of the American Medical Association.

Meeting Phil and friend was a HIGHLIGHT of this trip!!!!!

Well, I'm off to a meeting! Thanks for listening. I'll keep comin' back.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

DG, thanks for a great report. Michael and I heard a similar story in one of the smaller (300 people) meetings from a guy that almost died, lived on the streets and now is a doctor and mayor of a city in California. His practice helps people with addictions too.

I had two simple objectives for San Antonio: a) say the Serenity prayer with 50,000 + people, b)meet DG from MYO.
    So it was a successful trip for me. The bonus was just hanging out on the River Walk, smoking cigars, listening to Jazz and seeing thousands of smiling faces of people wearing the green lanyard.

Oh, at my 630am meeting today there was a fellow from PA that was passing through after the San Antonio convention. How cool?!
    Love and Peace,
    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

What awesome posts from you guys! It was just exactly what I needed this morning. I'm anxious to hear from some of our locals about their experiences as well.

I'm doing quite well. Many thanks for your encouraging words. Yes, we went through something difficult...& in fact are still journeying through this. But, sober is so much better. I haven't had a moment when I wanted a drink...even Sunday when I hit a bit of a low. I just prayed, went to a meeting yesterday, & it passed. 2 years ago I DEFINITELY would have had a drink. No question! Today, not so. Today, I can get through anything w/the tools of the program & of course, the fellowship. We're waiting on the pathology report which should be in at the end of the week. We're prepared for anything but (of course) hoping none of the cancer spread.

Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Phil, that is an awesome report of the PA man "passing through" your home group meeting. When they asked for announcements in my HG meeting today, I mentioned that the 2015 International will be in Atlanta and I hope lots of us go. Heck, if we all put a dollar in the jar every day for it, we could not only go but stay someplace really really nice!!!!!

Mary, you have really learned how to use the tools of the program to keep yourself on track. That is such a good example for all of us to see. My room mate on the trip had an experience during the convention where she wanted to drink and felt alone. Right there in the middle of over 50,000 fellow AAers. She chaired the meeting this morning and it's an "open topic" meeting, and this was the topic. What I took away from her sharing about this at the convention, and our discussion about it this morning is:

* I must never take sobriety for granted.
        * I must always be willing to ask for help, in any situation.
        * I must keep my program strong and my tools nearby at all times.

The Big Book says that I will get a daily reprieve from the compulsion to drink based on a fit spiritual condition. NOT a "religious" condition but a spiritual one. To me, this speaks to my need to be humble and grateful and willing to help others rather than selfish and pride/ego driven and operating based on fears. I have not had the compulsion to drink in a long time for which I am very grateful. But that can change quickly. I need to be living the values taught in this fellowship each day, one day at a time.

Asking for help is especially hard for me some times. That's fear and pride and ego at work. LOL - we had a chance to practice asking for help when the battery kept dying in the rental car. One thing we both learned from THAT experience was that many AAers will absolutely go out of their way to help, and do it with a great attitude.

I am very proud and grateful to be a member of the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DG, Mary , Phil!and others

This is a great thread to look forward too.
          I'm so new to AA and when DG said it was hard to ask for help , Thats me!! I've been to several meetings and when they asked for a raise of hands that would be willing sponsors. no one raised them. I am wondering if I should go to some different meetings. I know every meeting has a different feel. I don't have a sponsor yet.... and thats ok I guess, but that is probably because I don't lke to ask for help either?? control...ego uh oh that could get me in trouble.
          I am staying positive though and just not drink and go to meetings and It will work out.
          You guys are a big help too!!
          have a great day everyong.

Cher
          May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Cher: If someone shares, has some sober time behind her, & she resonates w/you, there would be nothing wrong w/asking her for her phone #. You'll start to get to know the people w/good program. I was told to "hang out w/the winners." In the meantime, keep going to meetings.

DG: Your post reminds me never to take my sobriety for granted. My sponsor has said that your sobriety is very precious & should be protected. I know that I could become vulnerable to a drink at any time.

Regarding asking for help: This crisis w/Patty has taught me that people WANT to help. I dropped the kids off at camp this AM, & one of the moms said: "Please let me help...it would make me feel good." I think I'll take her up on the play-date she offered...a break even for a few hours would be very welcome.

Gotta go!

Love, Mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Cherbear, I don't think you will ever go wrong getting out there and checking out a lot of different meetings. And as Mary suggested, ask for women's phone numbers, and CALL THEM! Helping others is a cornerstone of this program. We are taught that helping others helps keep us sober, and that nothing is more important than helping a newcomer.

Does this mean that everyone is perfect? No. So if you ever don't get a response you want, then just keep asking others.

Sponsorship is a pretty big committment. And a lot of times people are hesitant to agree to sponsoring someone until they get to know them a bit. And believe me, it's good for YOU to get to know people better as well. So you can find someone who truly has want you want, and then learn how they got there. Mean time, make LOTS of friends and contacts. This will be your army should you ever get in trouble with urges and need someone to talk you off the cliff.

I'm glad I've started branching out and getting to some different meetings, even though I really like my home groups!

Mary, you have a really good program going. That is clear from the strength you have found to handle your daughter's diagnosis and surgery and care. I look up to you. If you can do it, maybe I can too when/if that time comes for me.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi doggygirl. I would love to join this thread. I have been attending AA for nearly 18 months and the meetings have been a great help in getting me sober. I found this site initially overwhelming at first but I am getting more of an understanding as to where I would like to post.

Definitely this AA thread so hello everyone. Just introducing myself quickly as its midnight in the UK so I am off to sleep. x
                Be strong-
                We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Thanks DG and Mary for the advise!! I met a great gal today that didn't really say she would be a sponsor but I could tell she was sincere about me calling her.
                  Working through the urges is my number 1 priority and I know the only way I can be permanently successful at this is with me reaching out!
                  Welcome rebirth! I'm new to AA as you can tell but I'm sold!

I think my husband is a bit curious about all my meetings but is trying to be supportive. I told him he should come to a meeting sometime!

AA birthday 6/19/2010
                  May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but many of these stories are always about people who "bottomed out" early . . . .I never did that - I maintained high functioning levels with highly paid jobs while I was a toal addict & drug user who got into legal trouble at various times . . . .I guess my problem is I was never "glad to be alive" - I was always hoping to be dead. I apparently have a physical constitution that can endure almost anything & be healthy, so threat of death or losing it all was never my thing. Sobriety becomes extremely boring & I don't know how to combat that since I'm not "threatened by death" - any words of wisdom. I've played this out for 30 years or more . . . .I am sure I have stories that would embarass & ashame to prove it . . .thoughts???? god & meetings don't get it . . . .

Comment

Rebirth: Please share & ask questions. I'm no AA expert, & I just try to share a little about my meetings & some of my conclusions. This is a changing, shifting thread as new people join it.

Funny Girl: I was a very high-functioning alcholic. I was never arrested & have a long-standing marriage. However, I was sick to death of:
                      -all the energy involved in drinking, hiding it, & recovering from it.
                      -feeling ashamed & hating myself.

I really don't find sobriety boring at all. Yes, there are times when I'm in the company of people who are drinking socially, but I know I cannot drink like that. I don't associate w/people who get drunk. I'm experiencing life clearly for the first time in a long time. That's a good thing.

Good luck, Mary
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

retteacher. I am also a functioning alcoholic with a fabulous job, lovely home etc. I was also sick to death of my obsession with AL and how it governed my life. It came before anything else. I hated running around after it, recovering from it and looking at myself in the mirror. Those wasted thoughts about my health, paranoia obout what people were thinking about me has disappeared since getting rid of that poison.

I went to a barbeque last weekend hosted by my best friend. She is my long standing drink buddy. The last time we drank together we got thrown out of a club because we were too drunk ( shameful..cringe..). Anyway I drank diet coke all night while she was downing the gin. Within one hour she stopped playing host and sat herself in a corner next to someone else who was drinking as heavily as her. She did not move all night and just got louder and more aggressive.

I on the other hand was socially and getting to know people, laughing and joking till the wee hours of the morning. "God you have become boring!!" she slurs at me.

erm. Well I think she was the boring one???!! I have decided I will no longer hang out with her if she gets drunk. It;s harsh because she is my friend. But I have to protect my sobriety right? I cant force her not to drink in my company either..
                        Be strong-
                        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Retteacher & Rebirth - I too was a functioning alcoholic and of course the initial adjustment is challenging, your whole social life gets turned on its head. I thought I would be bored with all the free time I used to spend drinking....! Not a chance, I fill it with far more worthwhile activities. Nothing is better to me than remembering going to bed and waking up each day feeling fantastic! Rebirth, yea you have become so boring! :H Drunks on the other hand are so interesting!!!

I wanted to post a Q here for DG or someone else with a lot of AA experience. When I quit in Jan I went to AA every week, sometimes twice for the 1st two months then dropped back to every couple of weeks and now I only go when I have had a particularly stressful experience as I find it grounds me. I check in here every day several times and find the support fantastic, I have also taken many other support aids from an alsortment of books I've read.

I feel Im in a really great place, I love my AF live and am very happy particularly as the depression and anxiety I suffered has gone with the AL. I now go out a bit more and feel comfortable around others drinking. The lady who introduced my to the AA group I go to is amazing and has become a good friend. She now thinks I need a sponsor and to go through the step. Im in two minds about this as I feel Im doing just great the way I handle it, but then I think, what harm can it do to do this as well? Or if alls well why rock the boat. Can someone tell me more about what doing the steps actually involves?
                          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

***MAJOR SANDWICH WARNING. MAKE YOURSELF 2****

rebirth;904719 wrote: Hi doggygirl. I would love to join this thread. I have been attending AA for nearly 18 months and the meetings have been a great help in getting me sober. I found this site initially overwhelming at first but I am getting more of an understanding as to where I would like to post.

Definitely this AA thread so hello everyone. Just introducing myself quickly as its midnight in the UK so I am off to sleep. x
                            Welcome rebirth! I'm looking forward to *hearing* what you have to say! I know it takes awhile to find ones way around this forum. So glad you found this thread!

Cherbear;904784 wrote: Thanks DG and Mary for the advise!! I met a great gal today that didn't really say she would be a sponsor but I could tell she was sincere about me calling her.
                            Working through the urges is my number 1 priority and I know the only way I can be permanently successful at this is with me reaching out!
                            Welcome rebirth! I'm new to AA as you can tell but I'm sold!

I think my husband is a bit curious about all my meetings but is trying to be supportive. I told him he should come to a meeting sometime!

AA birthday 6/19/2010

Cherbear, your anni is my wedding anniversary date! Just noticed that. My husband is not one to go to open meetings with me very often, but he deeply appreciates what AA has done, and continues to do for me so he is very supportive of my AA activities. I don't pressure him to go, and he doesn't pressure me not to. It works well for us. Hope you and your hubby get that worked out too! I think the biggest thing is for Mr. Doggy to understand that my sobriety HAS to be my #1 priority. That way, I have a lot to offer him and all the other people in my life.

Funny Girl;904793 wrote:
                            Not to be a killjoy or anything, but many of these stories are always about people who "bottomed out" early . . . .I never did that - I maintained high functioning levels with highly paid jobs while I was a toal addict & drug user who got into legal trouble at various times . . . .I guess my problem is I was never "glad to be alive" - I was always hoping to be dead.
                            I apparently have a physical constitution that can endure almost anything & be healthy, so threat of death or losing it all was never my thing. Sobriety becomes extremely boring & I don't know how to combat that since I'm not "threatened by death" - any words of wisdom. I've played this out for 30 years or more . . . .I am sure I have stories that would embarass & ashame to prove it . . .thoughts???? god & meetings don't get it . . . .
                            I too was "high functioning" for many years. I never got a DUI or lost my home / family. But I DID want to kill myself. And for the last few years, I just wanted to stay home and be left alone with my bottle. I have come to believe that alcohol will lead us all to the same place (the grave) if we just keep drinking long enough. So I guess that's what you might have to look forward to if you decide to go back to drinking.

If you are finding the sober life boring, my suggestion is to get out there and find some new stuff to do. The only times I really feel bored in my life these days is when I'm in a drinking environment not drinking. I find drunks (like I used to be!) incredibly boring. I'm still amazed that I used to think THAT was interesting, and that *I* was interesting when drunk. Not.

BTW you are not a killjoy! This thread is for sharing honestly and you are doing that.

retteacher;904985 wrote:
                            This is a changing, shifting thread as new people join it.

Indeed! That's the beauty of it!

rebirth;905032 wrote: I went to a barbeque last weekend hosted by my best friend. She is my long standing drink buddy. The last time we drank together we got thrown out of a club because we were too drunk ( shameful..cringe..). Anyway I drank diet coke all night while she was downing the gin. Within one hour she stopped playing host and sat herself in a corner next to someone else who was drinking as heavily as her. She did not move all night and just got louder and more aggressive.

I on the other hand was socially and getting to know people, laughing and joking till the wee hours of the morning. "God you have become boring!!" she slurs at me.

erm. Well I think she was the boring one???!! I have decided I will no longer hang out with her if she gets drunk. It;s harsh because she is my friend. But I have to protect my sobriety right? I cant force her not to drink in my company either..
                            Bingo. I have had to change some things too with old drinking friends. Some "friends" weren't really friends - only interesting in drinking buddy activities. Those have faded away. Other friendships have stayed but we just don't do drinking things together. I've forged many new friendships in AA which has been wonderful. How to handle changing relationships with friends is an important issue, I think, when we get sober. WE are changing and it just stands to reason that our friendships cannot stand still. They will change too in some way or other.

Chillgirl;905040 wrote:
                            Can someone tell me more about what doing the steps actually involves?
                            What have you got to lose? For me, the steps have helped me see inside myself more clearly. They have helped me see areas where I really do want to grow and change for the better. They have also given me more tools for daily living. I am (I believe) a better person today with the help of the steps. As always, that is just my experience.

On AA attendance, there was a time when I thought in terms of "what can AA do for me." When I started feeling contentment in my sobriety, I didn't want to go as much. I have come to realize that for me, giving back is just as important and taking. When I feel that I NEED AA, I am counting on seeing people who are feeling strong in their sobriety at meetings to share some of that with me. So for me, I've come to realize that I WANT to be at meetings when I am feeling good in my sobriety so I can try to pass some of that strength to others when they need it. And you just never know who is going to walk through the doors that might be able to relate to you.

I should have put a sandwich warning at the top of this one! (not too late to edit I guess!)

I like this reading today:

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

A.A. Thought For The Day

We had become hopelessly sick people; spiritually, emotionally,
                            and physically. The power that controlled us was greater than
                            ourselves--it was John Barleycorn. Many drinkers have said: "I
                            hadn't gone that far; I hadn't lost my job on account of drink; I
                            still had my family; I managed to keep out of jail. True, I took too
                            much sometimes and I guess I managed to make quite an a$$ of
                            myself when I did, but I still thought I could control my drinking. I
                            didn't really believe that I was an alcoholic." If I was one of these,
                            have I fully changed my mind?

Meditation For The Day

Painful as the present time may be; you will one day see the reason
                            for it. You will see that it was not only testing, but also a
                            preparation for the life-work which you are to do. Have faith that
                            your prayers and aspirations will someday be answered.
                            Answered in a way that perhaps seems painful to you but is the only
                            right way. Selfishness and pride often make us want things that
                            are not good for us. They need to be burned out of our natures.
                            We must be rid of the blocks which are holding us back, before we
                            can expect our prayers to be answered.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may be willing to go through a time of testing. I pray that
                            I may trust God for the outcome.

I was definitely spiritually, emotionall and physically sick from AL. And AL was definitely my "higher power" in the end. I was just a slave to AL morning noon and night. I am SO grateful not to be living that way any more - with my life and even my thoughts of death (by suicide) being driving by AL 24X7.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

ChillGirl: I went through the 12 steps w/a sponsor & learned a lot about myself, including my shortcomings & character defects. I now have a definite plan for life to work on...improving myself through clearing up those defects. I know I'll become a happier person as a result. Also, I was able to make amends for some of the wreckage my drinking caused...particularly in my marriage. Talking to my husband was the single most important step forward I've ever taken.

I too look forward to my meetings. It's truly a fellowship of friends to me. I'm not sure how sturdy my sobriety would be if I didn't go to meetings often.

Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X