devil s on my back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

devil s on my back

want shake this devil .......why is it that when I try to not drink its on my mind constantly that i want 1 & always:confused when I really dont want to make a fool of myself it seems like Im on a rollcoaster to disaster.any advice :upset: really got to stop !!!

devil s on my back

It can be done tara1...have a look at some of the posts here. It isn't the same path for everyone but the starting point is. For me (now 40 days and nights AF) I thought about it for a while and then I did it.
    Stopped drinking. Unbelieveable for me, a boozer of extremely long standing.
    The logic of quitting is unescapable and there are really only two questions. ' Do I stop today, or tomorrow?' If you need more evidence before you commit or have other questions, just ask, and we'll tell you.
    Travel hopefully.

Comment

devil s on my back

Tara, the devil tells you to drink, because you are addicted. Just like the rest of us. (or those that finally admit it). I was the same way for a long time, kept trying not to drink but couldn't. It becomes a rat race and at some point it is time to quit the race before we end up dying.
      Keep on trying, you can gain control back and STOP the devil from talking.

Winefree

Comment

devil s on my back

Hi Tara1 - good for you for wanting to stop drinking - is it possible to get all the alcohol out of your house? It's too tempting when it's at arms reach.

Decide you want to stop for real and do it - when you get urges, and of course you will, do something else, get on here and chat to people, have a nice treat at the ready to eat instead. Urges pass as the habit dies away, they truly don't last that long and you will feel wonderful when they have gone and you haven't given in to them.

Change your routine during your witching hours to preoccupy your mind and hands.
        Don't let yourself be in any situation where you will be tempted in the early stages of your AF time.

Good for you for wanting to give it a go
        You can do it!!!!
        It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

devil s on my back

Tara,

You probably don't see this just yet but you are on the right road already. Being concious of the fact that something is wrong takes great awareness. The real you is stirring and has lead you here. This is a great place to be my friend, it has been a constant source of companionship and sharing over the last month for me.

I think that one of the reasons that drinking is on 'OUR' minds a lot is that it is a safe place to hide from the often arduous journey that we each want to undertake. It is a difficult road at first but it levels out in time and then desperation turns into acceptance, emptiness turns into hope and fear turns into courage. None of us can do this alone, that is why we are all hear.

Nice to meet you and well done.
          "The greatest hazard of all, losing one?s self, can occur very quietly in the world, as if it were nothing at all. No other loss can occur so quietly; any other loss - an arm, a leg, five dollars, a wife, etc. - is sure to be noticed." Soren Kierkegaard.

AF since 13 June 2010.

Comment

devil s on my back

Hi Tara

It is long journey we are on possibly never ending as we all know one little drink can take us back to the beginning again. You CAN do this. If you have not already try reading the book I found I could relate to so many scenarios that are written on the pages. I just do not want to be that person anymore. Keep coming here reading and posting, you will soon see you are not alone.

Good luck

QQ
            Success is knowing when to sit back and enjoy the moment

Comment

devil s on my back

Hi Tara,

Along with the other great advice, I will share what is working for me. I put off taking my Antabuse for a very long time, and then two weeks ago, I just said "F it" and took a pill. Im two weeks sober and would not even think of taking a drink on Antabuse. Am I glad I took it? Yes! Just something to consider, I hope you find what will work for you!
              I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

devil s on my back

thanks to all,feelin pretty good made it to day 2 its after 7pm here I feel good had a couple of urges but got busy doin housework......cant get rid of the AL in the house as hubby enjoys a pint but I will keep coming here for your advice .. thx again

Comment

devil s on my back

Welcome Tara. Great getting to day 2. Please continue to post and share. I wish you success and happiness!
                  “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Working...
                  X