4 Stages of recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Stages of recovery

If you have decided that you need to get help for your drinking , you have already entered the first stage of recovery by admitting that you have a problem and seeking outside help.
    This process -- reaching out for help and seeking some kind treatment or rehabilitation -- is known as treatment initiation. It is the first of four stages of recovery

If you are like most people who seek help for substance abuse problems, in the very early stages you probably still harbor some feelings of ambivalence about giving up your drug of choice, and you may still be in denial about the full extent of your problem. This is common for people in the early days. Denial simply means refusing to believe the reality of your circumstances. Many people new to recovery usually have some level of denial about their addiction. Denial can take many forms, from thinking that you can still control your substance use to denying that you are really addicted.

It's likely that during your substance abusing days you associated your drinking with certain people, places and things. Perhaps you always stopped by the same bar or you only drank when around certain people. You may even have had a favorite glass you drank from . All of these can be triggers that can cause you to relapse.
    It is absolutely critical to your continued abstinence that you avoid the triggers and other high-risk situations. You need to helpyourself identify the people, places and things that you associate with your drinking and help you develop strategies for avoiding these triggers, Many alcoholics organize their entire daily routine around obtaining, drinking and recovering from the effects of their drink.
    Once you quit drinking, there will be a void in your daily scheduled and/or a sense of loss. You may be used to a daily schedule that is chaotic and disorganized,. You may find it difficult imagining what you will do now that you are no longer drinking.

Not everyone experiences cravings during early abstinence, but for those who do, it can become overwhelming. Craving is a strong urge to return to drinking . Craving can be both physical and psychological to the point that you can become obsessed with thinking about drinking again.
    you must recognize what craving feels like and learn that it is temporary and will pass. you must learn that you have choices; you can choose to "sit the craving out." You do not have to respond to the urge in a self-damaging way.
    The longer you remain abstinent, the fewer cravings you will have and the less intense they will become. But if you give in to the urge, they will remain strong.

If you have been clean and sober for 90 days, you now need to put the tools that you learned in early abstinence to work toward maintaining your sobriety and avoiding relapse. maintaining your recovery is basically up to you. In order to maintain abstinence, it is important that you:

Avoid environmental triggers.
    Recognize your own psychosocial and emotional triggers.
    Develop healthy behaviors to handle life's stresses.

People get in trouble when they let their guard down after their early-absitence success. It is important that you not take your sobriety for granted and that your recognize the power of your addiction. Maintaining a recovery-oriented attitude is critical.
    It is also important your participation in support groups and that you remain honest with yourself and others about your feelings and thoughts. Changes in attitudes, feelings and behaviors can quickly lead you to a relapse.
    A relapse does not begin when you pick up a drink . It's a gradual process marked by negative changes in your attitude, feelings and behaviors. If you find yourself in the downward relapse spiral, do something different! Go to more support group meetings, spend time with others who support your recovery, maintain a heatlhy structure in your life, make sure you are in a drink-free environment and avoid external triggers. Take positive action to resolve any relationship, personal or work-related problems that are causing you stress.

The fourth stage is reaching advanced recovery in which you have achieved long-lasting abstinence and have made a commitment to continue to lead a lifelong sober lifestyle. Advanced recovery, sometimes called stable recovery, usually begins after five years of sustained abstinence.
    Hopefully you have not only learned to maintain abstinence, you have also learned to make more healthy and productive choices in all areas of your life. Advanced recovery is living that healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life.
    As you have learned during your journey , recovery is much more than merely remaining abstinence. Of course, maintaining abstinence is a necessary part of recovery and the core of your recovery program. But if you do not make healthy choices in all areas of your life, you will find it difficult to lead a satisfying, fulfilling life.
    One group of recovery experts published a definition of recovery as "a voluntarily maintained lifestyle characterized by sobriety, personal health, and citizenship." Personal health involves not only to physical and mental health, but also social health -- participation in family and social roles. Citizenship refers to "giving back" to the community and society.
    Even if you have been clean and sober continually for more than five years, you are still one slip away from a relapse. In spite of your success, you can continue your participation in your mutual support groups.
    After five years of sobriety you are much less likely to have a relapse and you may not have to spend as much conscious effort to maintain your sober lifestyle, but your continued recovery can be a lifelong process. :goodjob:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

4 Stages of recovery

:thanks: Mario

Awesome food for thought here.

HG
    AF 01/30/10

Look Back & Thank God
    Look Forward & Trust God
    Look Around & Serve God
    Look Within & Find God

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Deadly post Mario as always..thank you xx
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

One of the things that came as a shock to me was that 3 months sober (as an example) is not really considered "long term" in recovery circles. :H FIVE YEARS??????? THAT SOUNDS LIKE FOREVER!!!!!!!!

With each sober day I gain new respect for those who have gone before us and have truly experienced long term sobriety. I am so grateful to know people who have stayed continuously sober for 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 40 years. We are just babies in sobriety here at My Way Out. I hope that we stick around and keep staying sober ODAT so that someday, we too will be wise in the ways of long term sobriety.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Thanks for posting this Mario.

Even though I am not at 5 years, I am deeply committed to "sobriety, personal health, and citizenship." It makes all the difference.

M3
          AF Since April 20, 2008
          4 Years!!!
          :lilheart:

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Hello there,

Thanks for the post, Mario. I agree that early sobriety is a very dangerous time (I would say I'm painfully aware, except I don't feel any actual pain).

I'm with DG on this one - 5 years sounds like FOREVER! Like sands in the hour glass...

M3 I sense your commitment - and hope to keep the same.

I think, as an early bird, that there is something also about what you see for yourself and your future. Visualizing myself as a happy non-drinker is important to me. A few weeks ago I was eating out with family and Mr. T. was enjoying huge glasses of wine. I felt a little bit angry and on the point of tears. I looked around me. I saw another group where a pinched nervous middle aged woman was the only one at the table without a wine glass. My first thought was that she was an alcoholic. Maybe she was having vodka tonic, or maybe she was sick for all I know. But what I realized was that I didn't want to be at a table without AL and be unhappy, making everyone else at the table uncomfortable. It was good motivation for me to change my attitude.

I've also observed a very dear friend who happens to be Muslim when she is around AL. It's nothing to her! Her husband drinks moderately, and she is the center of attention, the life of the ball, the most lively and interesting one in every group. Although she is not a beauty, she believes herself to be lovely, and she is! I really admire her for many reasons. I view this as a model - I too want to be the happy lively one who could care less about having AL.

Goals for the future. Love to all,
            T.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Forget the past, plan for tomorrow, and live for today.

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Thanks for this post Mario. I am past the 90 day mark, and what I am finding important to my sobriety is continual improvement in others areas of my life: professional, health, family relationships. I feel that if I don't keep working to improve various areas in my life then old behaviours will creep back in.

Getting sober is a process.
              While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Just returned from my first sober holiday. Your post was a lovely welcome! Thank you mario for your words of wisdom. I love my newfound sobriety and I intend to protect for as long as I can. A five year plan sounds excellent to me!
                Be strong-
                We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

5 years wow sounds forever but then i have been drinking forever, some day i will get there. i hope .

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Picking myself up and dusting myself off, knowing that it is possible and I will be AF once again.

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

i have a friend (truly, it IS a friend) who was af for over 15 years. she thought that she could moderate but couldn't. she's now drinking daily--whatever she can get.

i don't think that there will ever be a time when i can drink and not get drunk. it's a scary, scary thing.

good luck to you on this journey unlike any other journey.

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

rie;949123 wrote: i have a friend (truly, it IS a friend) who was af for over 15 years. she thought that she could moderate but couldn't. she's now drinking daily--whatever she can get.

i don't think that there will ever be a time when i can drink and not get drunk. it's a scary, scary thing.

good luck to you on this journey unlike any other journey.

For me i would like to think that drinking any alcohol or any amount of alcohol will never happen,i am finished with that poison,i dont miss it in any shape or glass and i am quite looking forward to living the rest of my years alcohol free, pity it didnt happen sooner for me.

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

5 years to achieve "stable sobriety"? I toally believe that!

It's totally believable, but not scary, that it could take 5 years to become stable in sobriety!

Now that I'm almost 3 & 1/2 years without a drink, I feel like I'm just now really getting what sober living is. It's so much more than just not drinking, although that's really hard at first. It's about getting healthy physically, mentally, spiritually and socially, then living healthy too. And that takes time. It's about dealing with the past, facing my demons & becoming content with a past I regret (to quote a county song). I don't live in my past, but I don't deny it either. It's mine. I own it. I look at it as life lessons that I never want to repeat. That means I have to change. I need to practice living differently than how I used to. What's that saying? To do the same thing over and over but expect different results is insanity. So I've been trying to do things differently than I used to. Sometimes the results are great. Sometimes not so great. But at least there's a change, right? I mean, for every time we fail at something, we're that much closer to getting it right the next time we try.

There was a significant change in me recently. I realized that I can't always change things in my life that stress me out and challenge my mental & emotional sobriety. But sometimes I can... If I'm brave enough. I actually walked away from & basically severed ties with a family member (my mother) because the relationship was absolutely toxic to me. It was severely dysfunctional and codependent. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done without a drink. I mean really. Who disowns their mom? But once it was done, I can't even begin to describe the liberation! And it's so weird to say but since ending that insanity, it's like a switch turned on in my brain. I think with more clarity. My attitude is brighter. I'm finding motivation in so many areas of my life again. It was a necessary and, in my particular case, healthy move! No regrets.

Bottom line and back on topic... 5 years to find STABLE sobriety? Yup. I believe it and am looking forward to it!

Thanx for posting this topic. It's a wheel turner for me.

PeaceSeeking? Hang in there. We've all been where you are right now... several times. You're very brave to post but even more courageous to make this change. Remember, different behavior = different results. I'm excited for you

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Hi cheyenne welcome to mwo.
                            3 & half years is brilliant, i hope you keep posting and helping & showing us more ways to beat this monster.

Comment

4 Stages of recovery

Awww, thanx Mario! I've actually been on and off again on this forum for several years. Sometimes sober. Sometimes not so sober. Problem is that I never kept record of my log in info so when I come back from time to time, I forget my user name. Wince. But I wrote it in a notebook this time! :H

This forum has been such a valuable tool for an alkie like me... along with Roberta's MWO program. I did the program a long time ago and although I think it's probably the most comprehensive way to stop drinking that I've ever tried, it just wasn't my time for long term sobriety... yet.

I can't even begin to guess how many HUNDREDS of times I "quit drinking" before it stuck. Ultimately everyone quits when they're good & ready. For me it was a timing thing. I had 2 or 3 shaky hands days without a drink under my belt when someone approached me with one of those work from home "opportunities". I got all revved up about it and dove in head first. It was delightfully distracting and gave me something fun to focus all my non-drinking time on. Naturally I spent more money on my new home biz than I made. But hey... It was cheaper than rehab! And it was an easy addiction substitution because I enjoyed it.

Speaking of addiction substitution/transference, after shutting down my home biz I picked up an online gaming addiction. Did anyone else here substitute addictions? My doc seems to think it's better than drinking, but lately I've been feeling a need to taper it off some. Sigh... Once an addict always an addict? Or can we really ever be addiction free?

Comment

Working...
                              X