Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long for the brain to fully recover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear board,

I drank an average of 4 glasses of wine per day almost every day for the past 20 years with 6 or so binge days per month during which I would drink 7-8 drinks in one session. I quit 24 days ago after realizing how AL negatively impacted my life.

Is a year a reasonable expectation of time for my brain to function as if I would have never had a drop of AL, or am I looking at a longer time frame?

Please share your personal experience with me, thank you.

Patrick.

Patrick, do you mean your thought process/focus in general or by brain function do you mean no cravings, thoughts of drinking etc?

Comment

I am asking about the mind functionally, ie memory, ability to focus, thought process, speed of execution etc...

Comment

I think I heard a doctor once say it takes a good year to regain mental and emotional stability. But it would definately be worth looking into......

Comment

keyners;963130 wrote: I am asking about the mind functionally, ie memory, ability to focus, thought process, speed of execution etc...
          I can only speak from my own experience and I think this varies quite a bit between individuals. It was probably a couple of months before I felt the "fog" totally lift. And when I first got sober things would happen like I would mix up a couple words in a sentence - stuff like that. I was a daily drinker so my brain was definitely NOT used to functioning without a pretty steady stream of AL flowing through. It DID pass if that's what you are experiencing.

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I have to agree with Doggy, it is different for everyone. For me the majority of the "fog" seems to lift within 5-7 days but it takes me a good month before I am feeling "normal"....if that is possible!

Comment

Working...
            X