Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the first steps

Hi,

I am new to this and have never posted to a place like this. I realize that I must look for strength and support as I begin this journey.

I drink a bottle of wine every night. I got laid off 2 years ago and have started my own business the pressure, fear and such has taken a huge toll on me. So I self medicated now I am having to face the fact that I've become dependent on drinking. I love red wine and would like to be able to drink it on occassion but I must stop the every day drinking alone and to excess!

I live alone and the dark hours aren't the best for me, my solution wine and simply sleep and morning is around the corner. I miss my productive life that I had when I would go to evening yoga, walks or crafts and see my friends! My friends and family have noticed and expressed concern as well.

I'm committed to this my start date is 1.1.11. I need to locate a continous loop CD player does any one have a suggestion on who might carry them?

Here's to one step at a time!
    Issysgal:new:

Taking the first steps

Hi Issysgirl and welcome to MWO. You and I have 2 things in common, wine and starting our own business during this tough time. I can completely relate to the stress that comes from going it on your own. The past two years have been so challenging. However with great challenges come great rewards. This site is a a rich source of support, you will be so glad you found it. I don't have any suggestions on who might carry a continuous loop CD player, but keep posting and reading! Looking forward to getting to know you!
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Taking the first steps

:welcome: Issysgirl,

Just said hello to you on the other thread. Glad you've found us.

First stop have a look in the tool box link. Masses of help and advice in there.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Sorry can't help about the CD player. There's bound to be someone along in a minute who can help.

Look forward to getting to know you.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Taking the first steps

Welcome Issysgirl,

There is tons of support here at MWO. Be prepared, have a plan, make a list of the pros and cons. Envision the life that you would like and develop a plan to get there. Return to your Yoga, friends, walks and crafts. Come here and read and post often.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Taking the first steps

Thanks, I'll be reading and posting and I was just writing a plan !

Comment

Taking the first steps

Hiya Issygirl :welcome: to MWO ......... it's a great place to be, you now have a 24/7 support system, and we all know how you feel .............

Have you thought about putting what you want to play onto an Ipod??

BB xxx
            sigpicXXX

Comment

Taking the first steps

Hello Issy,

I just said hello on another post as well. I have been trying to be abstinent since Nov 27 of this year and have about 23 of those days AF. What I have to say is that during those AF days I have my productive life back. I feel happy, I have energy and I'm just interested in life again! It is very easy to get into the self medicated Alcohol trap. My goal is to try and achieve 6 months AF and then when my head is clear, see where I want to go from there.

Good luck, there is so much valuable advice on this site, I know we can do it!

Comment

Taking the first steps

Hi and a big welcome Issysgirl!!! This site is truly a blessing, filled with smarts, wisdom, experience, ideas, etc. I too have self-medicated in isolation, though divorce, subsequent unemployment, loss of my home, depression/anxiety -- some very serious, extremely difficult adversities that no one deserves. BUT, one day, I just gave up on the idea of drinking ... it ceased to work for me, and I knew it pushed me into deeper depression. Anyway, despite on-going challenges, I feel soooo much better sober. Good luck, j
                Cuckoo for Cocoa Puff!!!

Comment

Taking the first steps

:welcome: Issygirl! I am a fellow business owner. My husband and I have a computer support business and in addition, I am now a Mary Kay lady. Sober is the way to go for all that business ownership entails!

Have you read the book? That was my starting point to sobriety and I highly recommend it.

Strength and hope to you!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Taking the first steps

Hey Issysgirl,
                    Thought I would post here as well...

Firstly, congrats on starting a successful business in these hard times. Fortune favours the bold an I am sure you are proud of what you have achieved!

I was thinking tonight that my drinking is also self medicating and now I am worried about how I will get that calmness and relaxation. (I like a good worry!). I know with time I will find something that gives me the same feeling. I love exercise and now I can get back to proper training...I am so looking forward to loosing weight as I wont have anymore empty calories from drink.j

I too love my red wine and will really miss a glass with a nice steak or some good cheese. I had to get rid of all my good wine which was painful.

My counsellor told me today that right now I am telling myself I cant drink but in te not so distant future I wont want to drink. I look forward to that day as I am sure you do as well.

Sending all my positive energy to you.

L x
                    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Taking the first steps

Hi All,
                      Thank you for the supportive words and suggestions. I feel like I've found a good place

I'm returning positve energy to you all too!

Comment

Taking the first steps

Hi Issysgirl,

Welcome to MWO!
                        I am a small business owner myself, I understand the pressures. But, I find everything much easier to deal with these days with a clear head, you will too

A bottle of wine/day used to be my medication as well. Now when I want to relax I use one of my mediation CDs. Works wonders & no Hangovers!!!!!

You start date is perfect. Our good friend here Chillgirl had a start date of 1-1-10 & she is now approaching her 1 yr AF. You can do it too!

Best wishes,
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Taking the first steps

yes welcome issygirl, I am new (again) here as well. just learning. Oh, the 'I love red wine' line is mine as well...never touch any other stuff.

Cassia, next time you see that shrink will you ask 'when and why will I 'not want a drink'? I'm hoping she provides an answer I can add to my ongoing list...thanks!
                          From the Sanskrit prayer;

"....For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision,
                          But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a dream of hope."

:catroll:
                          determined to be AF

Comment

Taking the first steps

One more step in the right direction

First, thank you all who responded to my first post yesterday. I followed the suggestions,
                            I had been reading the book but today I got all of the things to be prepared. I'm set.

Tonight I'm going to discuss it with my boyfriend I know I can count on his support.

I'm going to make a pro's and con's list and a map of the life I want..I have one from before that I've kept for years. I refer to it about once a year and I'm on track except for the drinking, as many times as I reread it that just wasn't part of my plan. So...

Onward.. We had snow here today it was so pretty put's a smile on my face! Here's to your smiling faces too

D

Comment

Working...
                            X