Alcoholic, alcohlism, Alcohol dependancy, Alcohol Habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the differences between these, and how would you categorise yourself?

I felt I had an alcohol habit, now I cant seem to stop drinking, so that would suggest an alcohol dependancy. But that is awfully close to being classed as an alcoholic

Whats your views?

To me, if you cannot stop drinking, if you think you have a problem and cannot stop and find are dependent on alcohol, you are an alcoholic. I just know that I can never ever drink again. Although the term makes me wince, I know I am an alcoholic because alcohol makes me someone who I do not wish to be. It doesn't really matter how you classify yourself or someone else since AL effects everyone differently. I'm sure there are millions of different opinions on this.
    February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Thats why I thought I would ask, I wince when I think of the term alcoholic, but I think I am edging towards believing I might be...

I dont hate what I become when I am drunk, I am a very placid drunk, I just hate waking up the next day hung over and irritable.

Comment

I don't get mean or anything either when I used to get buzzed, but I mostly hated the person I was the next day - all because of boozing it up the night before. So awesome to be done with that. Phew.
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

I thought I was a GREAT drunk - just everyone else seemed to have a problem
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi Nailz, you raise a good question. I don't think I am the most qualified person to answer all your questions, but I have some thoughts on the issue.

I don't think there is any doubt that the term "alcoholic" carries with it a lot of baggage, psychological, sociological and so on. There is much debate about this, and some feel it harmful and some helpful it seems. I avoid the word myself, perhaps it's cowardly of me.

One thing I talk about is if we still have "power" over alcohol. What is that relationship like? It seems that it is very hard for the individual to sometimes give a true or objective opinion about this. When do we lose majority in this power struggle? At that point, what is the label, or what should we call this behaviour?

The term "functional" is often used. A lot of us function at work, at home etc, but drink a great deal. Over time we know it is killing us, and decreasing our ability to function at those things. In addition our decision making is often horrible; often landing us in rock bottom over time (like me).

I also used to say "I abuse" alcohol, but I am not addicted. I don't think I was being honest with myself.
            I don't think I was right.

Well, not sure I helped at all, but some food for thought. Perhaps someone else has some thoughts on my points too.

Hill
            Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

I think terminology can put people off seeking help, e.g. it's easier to admit to a drinking problem than to the label of alcoholic. On the other hand, if you have a "little problem with drink" it may be easier to slip back than if you admit you are a full blown alcoholic from the outset. For some people the AA habit of daily admitting you are an alcoholic seems a negative reinforcement, and for others it's an important check.

I'm not sure how to differentiate, or if there is any difference. I know that when I was drinking every day I was not in control, alcohol was. Now I feel I have reversed that, but I remain vulnerable to the possibility of giving up control again.

Comment

"The term "functional" is often used. A lot of us function at work, at home etc, but drink a great deal. Over time we know it is killing us, and decreasing our ability to function at those things"

I just copied and pasted that part of Hillside's post as this is something that has been on my mind since I stopped drinking on 27th Feb. This description certainly fits my pattern. As time went on, my "functioning" became "existing", now instead of "functioning" I am "living" - don't know if this makes sense to anyone, I'm still trying to think it out.
                AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

What is an alcoholic? According to whom? AA states that if your life has become unmanageable you are an alcoholic. That is pretty broad. The DSM 4 has certain criteria to diagnose people with alcohol issues, but it will change in a few years. To me, I hate the label, but I know to some it is important. People with alcohol problems don't have an off switch, they have an allergy, one drink leads to too many. So, what to do about it? AA, quit on your own, MWO, SMART, Women for sobriety, Sinclair, Lenair, Moderation management, all these things have worked for people, and all these methods have not worked for people. We all have to find our own way, and if we don't we can die or end up in jail. That is the unpleasant truth, but there it is. The pleasant truth is that if we manage to find our way out, we have a much better life.

So, to being AF today and everyday.
                  Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

I thought the broken off switch the " panic at the end of the bottle" was the point where real alcoholism kicked in.( That and blackouts. ) Whereas if you drank too much but could stop before you passed out then you had a drinking problem but were not a real alcoholic???? Thats what has been in my head all these years anyway.

I heard as well that alcoholism was not about how much you drink or how often you drink but instead its about what happens when you drink ie once you start you will not be able to stop. One drink will trigger huge cravings for more and more until you literally pass out. Interesting post.
                    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

There are several possible causes of alcoholism and risk factors for the disease. The individual is the determining factor when assessing risk of contracting the disease. One or more of these causes/risk factors can indicate the presence of alcohol abuse or addiction.

Genetic: If your parents or grandparents were addicted to alcohol, the chances are strong that you will be vulnerable to the disease. Healthcare professionals will take a family history to look for risk factors for many diseases. Alcoholism is no different. Children of alcoholics will not necessarily become alcoholics themselves, but the medical history indicates a possibility.

Emotional Makeup: People may use alcohol to block the pain in the life. Alcohol is used as a coping device and there are certain stress hormones that may contribute to the progression of the disease.

Psychological: People suffering from depression or low self esteem may be more likely to develop a drinking problem. They are more likely to try to “fit in” with their friends, who “enable” the problem to continue.

Social: Alcohol is legal, readily available and drinking is socially acceptable. Alcohol is promoted heavily in the media, and having a few beers before, during and after a sporting event is part of western culture. There is a peer pressure to drink, to be a part of the crowd.

Frequency: Drinking alcohol regularly can cause alcoholism. People who drink regularly over time may be at risk of developing a physical dependence on alcohol. If studies show that one/two drinks per day for the average person (15 per week for men, 12 per week for women) is within safe limits, then it follows that going beyond that limit can produce problems.

Age: Young people are at greater risk of developing alcoholism, especially if they start drinking by age 16 or sooner.

Gender: Men are more likely to develop the disease than women.

If a person has risk factors at play, that does not mean they are automatically going to develop the disease; it is not necessarily a causes of alcoholism. It is possible, likewise, for a person with no risk factors at all, no family history, to develop the disease. It is important for people to know the risk factors and the causes of the disease to avoid getting into trouble with alcohol.

It can’t happen to me!

Another common mistake people make is assuming “it won’t happen to me.” In a society that glorifies alcohol consumption, from beers at sporting events, to fine wines at upscale establishments, the risk factors are obvious.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

I use to drink uncontrollably in the past ( for 15 year) and went to AA for help. I was classified as a functioning alcoholic and was told that abstinence was the only solution. But in my case it was readdressing my bad habits and I have been able to moderate my drinking very successfully. So i dont know what that makes me..
                        Be strong-
                        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
                        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

Problem with Labels. The label "Alcoholic" is ill-defined and has become much too negative in its use. I don't recognize it.

Comment

thanks for your thoughts guys, its kind of helped me categorize my drinking, whilst maybe not important to some, it was certainly important to me. I attended my local alcohol help centre last week and havent drank since. I think I am doing well, but now I have some questions about side affects!

Comment

I class myself as an alcoholic because I suffer from panic and withdrawals when I don't have a drink, and I don't behave as well or function properly when I drank to excess (which I more often than not over the last 3 years).

However, when other people want to label me as an 'alcoholic' or the media talk of 'alcoholics' I feel it is often done so as an insult, not a definition of my disease. e.g. They would possibly talk of someone who had gone out and got drunk excessively as an alkie, when that behaviour may have been a one off and/or nothing to do with the AL consumed.

I find it easier all round to talk about my 'alcohol abuse', because I 'abused' the substance and that is as simple and yet as defined as it needs to be for me right now to realise I can no longer abuse it. Which means I can no longer touch it!
                              If you can't have one drink, don't have any - My Nan

Comment

Working...
                              X