Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your symptoms of withdrawal?

Hi All,

So, I have been drinking too heavily for about 2 years, I have tried to quit in the past but only managed a week. I decided enough was enough last week when I had drank 2 bottles of wine and couldn't get myself out of bed to go to work.

I attended the local drug and alcohol centre and that hit me like a ton of bricks, being asked questions about my drinking in a tiny, grubby little room that stank like a mouldy alcohol refinery was one of the lowest points for me.

Its been 8 days now and this time it feels different, I feel I am really going to beat it. What I want to know is am i experiencing withdrawal? or am i just a miserable sod?

My symptoms
    Insomnia
    Increased appetitie for sugar in the evenings - Chocolate bars, soda etc
    Lethargy and hangover feeling in the mornings
    Bad cold that wont shift
    Headaches
    Irritability
    feeling of the world on my shoulders
    Inability to focus for more than 5 minutes
    Lack of drive

I wonder if anyone can share their experiences of post drinking, and how long can I expect it to last for... if indeed these are withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks all... perhaps I am just a miserable sod though.

Nailz

Hi there Nailz.
    These 'symptoms' of withdrawal seem pretty much the norm for a long term drinker quitting. I think I have felt pretty much all of them in the last 2 weeks of sobriety after 2 months of near constant drinking. But there have been more positives than negatives as the second week has passed, and today at nearly 2 weeks I feel great, and ready to move on.
    So , no, its not 'grumpy sod' syndrome!
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Hi Nailz
      I too wondered about the withdrawal symptoms. I am AF on day 20 and feel so much better but indeed experienced and am still experiencing some of your symptoms too. Tiredness, headaches now and again, definitely the increased sugar craving in the evening but all in all I feel so much better than when I was drinkng. My original plan was to stay AF til about the end of May and then hopefully moderate. NOw that I am AL free and feeling so good/well and more relaxed and less anxious I find myself being scared of what might happen in the future if I do decide to take a drink in the summer. I dont want to ruin all the effort I have put in, I'm not sure I really even want an alcoholic drink but part of me knows if I have one, it will be back to the same old, same old, over indulging in the vino every night and feeling like crap the next day. So I suppose the old saying one day at a time really holds true for me and after a while, the days go by quicker. Best of luck in your journey.
      AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

After coming out of a bad binge, my heart feels like it is out of rhythm. No headache. And after hating myself the first day my mood is fine the next. I know I am lucky to have survived this far, which is why I finally quit. I used to go easily 2-3 weeks between 2 day binges. The urge is either with me, and seems overwhelming, or I am totally disinterested in alcohol and you couldn't force me to take a drink because I don't want it. This time I am going to protect myself during that dangerous 2-3 week period.
        I can't drink and pretend to be sane. I can't drink and pretend to be moral. I can't drink and continue to live.

Comment

I've just gone 4 days AF in a long time and day 3 was horrible cos I was shakey but inside not visisbly it was really weird. But yeah headaches still not sleeping properly I feel nervous almost all the time atm. I have to say tho being hungover is way worse and every day I'm getting stronger.
          Pyes

Comment

keep strong guys, I guess I am getting what i deserve for not keeping control, but I am absolutely resolute that I will not be drinking any time soon, regardless of the withdrawals

Cheers

Comment

SarahH;1080387 wrote: After coming out of a bad binge, my heart feels like it is out of rhythm. No headache. And after hating myself the first day my mood is fine the next. I know I am lucky to have survived this far, which is why I finally quit. I used to go easily 2-3 weeks between 2 day binges. The urge is either with me, and seems overwhelming, or I am totally disinterested in alcohol and you couldn't force me to take a drink because I don't want it. This time I am going to protect myself during that dangerous 2-3 week period.
              Totally identify with this Sarah, the 10-14 day period has always been my downfall since I started to take as many AF days as I can this year. I was doing great up until last Saturday, someone annoyed me and bang!!! Def an emotional drinker I think although for years up to attempting this journey seriously, I didnt really need the excuse and went for it anyway. I know when my trigger period is going to be and am going to surround myself with good people and good thoughts and the help here to get through :l

My withdrawall patterns go

Day 1, 2 - Shame

Day 3-7 - Feeling slightly tempted but wont. slight regret that I cant ever pick a drink up again - EVER - Paranoia that everyone I meet knows? Weird dreams, listlessness...

Ive only ever got to 14 days but Day 7-14 are usually good times for me

Comment

Nailz, first of all, great work on the 8 days. It does sound like you are going through the withdrawal that I went through. Unfortunately it does take time. It took me about three weeks to get rid of the headaches. I never expected how mentally draining the first few months of sobriety was. I expected the physical aspects (not the sugar cravings though, that hit me out of the blue). It is hard work.

The great news is that you feel it is different this time. Go for it, hang in there, fight the battle. You can do it. Surf the urges, because they will come. Expect them, and let them pass.
                All the best,

Hill
                Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi hunni, every single thing you listed is what I suffered from. It lasted a good 3/4 weeks but as I got stronger I managed to start moving on from the big gaping whole al left and found new activities to do which helped me slowly overcome my symptoms. After those, I found I cried a lot, when I was happy, excited, low ect ect as I was learning how to deal with my emotions again. I found that I had numbed them for sooo long I had to learn them again from scratch. I was just as bad as my little 3 year old *lol* that has also passed now and I'm starting to settle into al life. It takes a while to regain everything!

Comment

Hi Nailz,
                    Great work on your 8 days! I think the symptoms you're describing sound very common to most of us at that stage, but would like to suggest some medical intervention rather than battling along on your own. For the first few months of my sobriety, I took anti craving medication and it really took the sting out it. I still had to do the hard yards but they certainly saw me through the worst of it. Med's aren't for everyone but they can often give you the opportunity to manage your craving's independently if that's what you prefer.
                    All the best
                    Don't tell me it can't be done until I'm finished doing it.

Comment

If i remember correctly i suffered with these withdrawals
                      The shakes,
                      A splitting headache,
                      Pains in my arms & legs,
                      Bleary eyes,
                      Fluttering stomach,
                      Droopy shoulders,
                      Weak knees,
                      A 3 day beard,
                      Facing others at breakfast,
                      Also trying to shave,
                      And searching my wallet & pockets and finding them empty.

Am i glad I dont go through that crap anymore. Keep fighting the fight it can & will be done.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thans for your input guys.

Day 13 today, but each day seems to be getting harder, last night I wanted to drink so bad, I have been horrible to my partner and have no time for my son at the moment and my insomnia is pretty bad too.

I hope these feelings pass soon, I have a life to get on with now!

Comment

a journey

Nailz;1080258 wrote: Hi All,

So, I have been drinking too heavily for about 2 years, I have tried to quit in the past but only managed a week. I decided enough was enough last week when I had drank 2 bottles of wine and couldn't get myself out of bed to go to work.

I attended the local drug and alcohol centre and that hit me like a ton of bricks, being asked questions about my drinking in a tiny, grubby little room that stank like a mouldy alcohol refinery was one of the lowest points for me.

Its been 8 days now and this time it feels different, I feel I am really going to beat it. What I want to know is am i experiencing withdrawal? or am i just a miserable sod?

My symptoms

Insomnia
                          Increased appetitie for sugar in the evenings - Chocolate bars, soda etc
                          Lethargy and hangover feeling in the mornings
                          Bad cold that wont shift
                          Headaches
                          Irritability
                          feeling of the world on my shoulders
                          Inability to focus for more than 5 minutes
                          Lack of drive

I wonder if anyone can share their experiences of post drinking, and how long can I expect it to last for... if indeed these are withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks all... perhaps I am just a miserable sod though.

Nailz
                          hi nailz,:goodjobn your 8 days,i shutter to read your symptoms,it gets worse as you age,
                          it seems like majority agrees with you,and all have gone through similar,its odd that we don t get it,we don t drink,we abuse ourselves,were like the cutters of this century,or the people that over eat or under eat,were like the people that pierce and tattoo there bodies,self infiliction,then what happens to us when we have all theese symtoms,we wonder why,to much of anything is not good,over the last few years,ive lerned over years of abusing me,the mind or brain will rebel along with other organs in our human bodies,welcome to the club,change can be made,its a long journey,ive been doing this for many years,for me,i beieve it never ends :upset:? iwish you well,gyco :thanks:

Comment

Naliz,

My WDs are:

Shakes
                            Hallucinations, audio and visual
                            Inability to keep any food down

These last 4-5 days.

You don't to get to that point!! Trust me.

Cindi
                            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

shanny, i went to the local alcohol centre, I have been prescribed a counsellor to help me with the withdrawal and to identify why I drink

I think its all going to be OK... day 15 AF!

Comment

Working...
                              X