Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under control for a while? Let me ask you this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have been A/F for a period of time that, in your mind, is enough time to feel satisfied that you've got the drinking under control then please make a comment as to what was the number one thing, event, experience, medicine, module or whatever that made the biggest positive difference in helping you achieve sobriety? Please comment on what your poison of choice was and how much of it you drank.

Thanks
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Hi Tipplerette,

You have to want it enough, and that means the entire 100% of your mind, body and spirit must truly want to stop drinking. 99% of yourself wanting it isn`t enough.......it really is all or nothing. I do not mean to sound at all flippant, but that is the key to success. So very many people are at the 99% stage........it`s the final 1% that seems so impossible, only........you all have that crucial 1% within you and you must keep the faith that you will one day tap into it.

Am 3 yrs and 3 mnths sober.........drank like a fish........minimum 2 btls/wine each and every night. I lived to drink back then. I thank God I no longer drink or am in the least tempted to do so. And trust me.........I loved my wine. I am nothing special.......if I can quit.......anyone can. Never lose faith in yourself.

Star x
    Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Hi tipplerette

In the last year of my drinking mine was pints of guinness with vodka, 8/9 pints maybe half bottle of vodka,sometimes less,To be honest I dont really remember what quantity I was drinking as my main concern was to just get the alcohol into me so I could feel ok which by this time in my drinking life was just chasing my tail,
      The number one thing that hit me was I woke up in my sister?s house one morning massively hungover as usual, something clicked in my head. It was, I can?t do this to myself anymore. I knew I had to try and save myself. and so far I have.

(My story is wrote in This is my life in the tell us your story forum, explains it all in more detail)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thanks, StarlightImpressForever and Mario. I think I really understand the tiny last 1% that is needed to be with the A/F program. Being so close but yet so far has been an ongoing problem for me. I am getting very close and am actually doing very well right now... fingers crossed.

Mario I was so pleased to read your story a month or so ago and with so many people on this forum you will be pleased to know that your story is one I could actually refer to as it touched me deeply. I had gotten to "know" you on here from a distance as a successful abstainer and when you finally published your story I was very interested in reading it. Something just clicked, eh.

You people who have been successful for a year or two and still come on to encourage others are invaluable to us Newbies and Attempters.

Thanks for sharing.

Tips
        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

For me Tipplerette, was my state of mind in the end that stop me, wanting to end it all. My drink was wine, cider and skol super and sometimes spirits, bandy or anything. I was a everyday drinker and My quantity every night was different. I would first drink my wine ( maybe 2bottles then my cider and go on to the skol super if it was 1 bottle of wine then it would be more cider or more skol super). My signature down the bottom, that whats keep me sober, just a reminder for me, dont want to hit bottom again. Am 15months AF

ps i do try and keep it in the moment, or one day at a time....

Take care and keep safe.x
          Formerly known as Teardrop:l
          sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
          my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hi Tipplerette. My experience is a lot like what all the others have already said. I was a daily drinker. Wine and vodka (not usually in the same glass at the same time :H) were my favorite poisons. I can especially relate to what Starlight said about 100% committment v. 99%. I had a very hard relapse after 60 days AF. I believe it was "99% committment to AF, plus a very strong 1% desire to drink moderately" that gave me so much difficulty.

My life is so much easier since I am no longer fighting with myself over the truth of whether I can safely drink or not. I know I can't safely drink, but I no longer wish I could. That is huge.

All the best to you on your journey. If I can get it sorted, and the others on this thread can get it sorted, then I know you can too.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Good question!
              For me, I think he difference between drinking and sobriety is actually 2 major decisions.

#1 Was, 100% Acceptance that I cannot drink, ever! Unless, I am willing to accept ALL of the Consequences of my drinking.

#2 Is exactly what Star said.....100% Commitment and a No Excuses Mantra!

There is simply no such thing as "Almost Sober" or "Mostly Sober". You are either drinking or, you are living sober. One drink changes brain chemistry!

Best Wishes to you Tipperlerette!
              Kate
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hmmmm very interesting. Some definite similarities.. it's all about commitment and not accepting anything else. I am very glad I started this as it's been extremely helpful.

Love your quote Catch 22 and yours too Doggie Girl.
                Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi. I almost never post but read daily. I am now over 1 year sober, and this thread I feel I have to add to.

I truly, madly, deeply wanted to stop.

I read Allen carrs book and it worked for me, used him also for stopping smoking.

For me, I was wide open and ready to receive help. Much like AA I guess, I admitted that I was powerless. If you think about it really, we are all so brainwashed into thinking we can't have a good time without alcohol. Only the other day I walked past an advert 'enjoy summer with smirnoff' it is implying that we can't possibly have a good time without it. What a load of tosh lol.

I feel like the wool has gone from my eyes.

I AM FREE

I used to drink about 3/4 bottle of vodka a day, starting at 8.30 am after kids had gone to school. Fall asleep, pick kids up and start again.

Comment

Hi Summer,

I just wanted to say a hugh mega well done for a whole year AF.

It is to people like you that I look for inspiration on this difficult to task of giving up AL, you sound in a good place so keep up all the good work won`t you.

Take care

Flossie x
                    Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

Starlight Impress Forever;1105827 wrote: Hi Tipplerette,

You have to want it enough, and that means the entire 100% of your mind, body and spirit must truly want to stop drinking. 99% of yourself wanting it isn`t enough.......it really is all or nothing. I do not mean to sound at all flippant, but that is the key to success. So very many people are at the 99% stage........it`s the final 1% that seems so impossible, only........you all have that crucial 1% within you and you must keep the faith that you will one day tap into it.

Am 3 yrs and 3 mnths sober.........drank like a fish........minimum 2 btls/wine each and every night. I lived to drink back then. I thank God I no longer drink or am in the least tempted to do so. And trust me.........I loved my wine. I am nothing special.......if I can quit.......anyone can. Never lose faith in yourself.

Star x
                      I know this is an older thread, but I think there is some really great information in it. I really liked this post, and it really comes down to that last subconscious 1%, then making a decsion and taking daily action.

Comment

Re: Under control for a while? Let me ask you this?

Bump.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                        X