Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving thru May - week 3

Good morning Movers

Papmom - Im sending you my biggest HUG :l its so hard working on a tight budget and so frustrating when you are doing all you can to cut costs. from memory the camper was a great bargin, is it going to cost you money to store it if you have it? Is it in usable condition? If there was a way to work it I know its going to mean so much to you, especially traveling with the dogs and not having hotel bills. Keep your thoughts positive and dont forget to do your gratitude list every day, I know it wont make your troubles go away but it will make you feel better.

Lav - You are such a talented lady! I hope you really know that.

Cass - I hear you on the pessimisim and Im so glad you pointed that out. Im NOT going to bow down to it, I have the uniqueness of "me" to offer. I dont think the people here when talking about how bad things are could have a clue just how bad it was in Portugal, a country well and truly bankrupt. Im just delighted to see jobs on offer, something I never saw there. Has it really sunk in now Cass that you live in the USA!!!! As soon as I landed here I felt such relief that the actual task was over, hope you feel that too.

LBH - Its lovely to see you here, i hope you make it a regular visit, you have such an eloquent way with words.

Rustop - Im always struck by what a great Mum you are to your girls and how much you do for them. Now I hear you lost your Mum at 17, im so so sorry and its wonderful that you are such a loving Mum to the next generation.

Jolie - I hate to tell you but wallpaper it back in fashion :H I personally just love plain and simple fresh white walls. What have you got planned in its place?

Paguy - Its so great to see your fitness progress, can you believe how fit you have gotten. Im so grateful exercise has been a big part of my life. There is nothing that any drug could give me better than that high I get from it.

Rusty - I loved you idea about the yacht, there are a few crackers but I suspect the good looking guys would drive up with their wives

Star - where are you and how is the new job?

Im down to the last few hundred pounds of my savings, the move has been 10 times more expensive than I budgeted for but I thank God I had the money from selling my watch or none if it would have been possible. I feel incredibly confident its all going to work out just fine.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Moving thru May - week 3

Good morning everyone

Chill - Thanks for starting us off. It is great to see you so positive. With that sort of attitude you will go places. As you say once the actual move is over thats the worst part over. How is the internet dating going?

Cassia - You too are doing great. You are wise beyond your years. I wish I had given up Al 20 years ago!!

Lav - loved the quilt, you are a very talented lady.

Papmom - Hang in there. Remember Chill /Cassia/Star a few weeks ago. All worked out for them and it will for you too.

Rusty - Good to see you back in action after all the study.

LBH- Welcome back, I echo what Chill says about your eloquent way with words. I love reading what you have to say.

Just back from my walk. Very tired today as it was after 2 am when I got to bed. The graduation mass etc. was lovely. After the mass and presentation of certificates etc there is a reception at the school and after that the girls all go out with the teachers!! It did not end until 2.30 am although I picked her up after 1.30. She did go to school this morning but was probably one of the few!

Have a great day everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Good morning all!

Chill, thanks for starting us out on week three, May is moving along quickly. Your job search. It takes time to find a job. Do they have employment agencies over there? I know that employment agencies can be a good place to find temporary jobs that can possibly lead to something bigger and better. I'm glad Cassia mentioned the pessimistic attitude of many......it is like that here too. However, I know individuals who have found jobs pretty quickly. Maybe not exactly what they hoped, but jobs. It is just good to earn some money and get out of the house. So good that you are setting up a date and having a visitor. Your courage and positive attitude are a few of the many things I appreciate about you. Interesting, the comparison between the economies.

Cassia, LBH, and Rusty, I too have experienced loss and noticed that the drinking increased. I kept putting off my feelings, not facing them, and that is not the way to handle emotions. We have to get through them, we can't use alcohol to get out of feeling uncomfortable feelings. But it hurts. I still mourn my mother, it will never go away. Sometimes, it is just easier.

Cassia, I admire your just doing it, looking into your license requirements and working towards getting it done. I too have been focused on things like that and it is alot of work. I was peaceful once I completed all the paperwork, and there was alot of it. I too have been very aware of drinking as my dad is a recovering alcoholic, and his dad before him. It is just time to stop and focus on living, without alcohol.

PAguy, thinking about the person who made the rude and personal remarks......how inappropriate. So many people just don't drink, what is the big deal. Again, I think when it matters that much to someone else, they are avoiding their own issues. Really, who cares? Why is what you drink or eat anyone elses business but your own?

Rustop, I remember when my kids were graduating and taht time of life. I was also busy, busy, busy with all the parties, etc. It was fun. I have good memories of that time. Enjoy and take care of yourself. Being AF, you will be able to look back with clear memories.

Papmom, sounds like you are getting your money situation together. I too have had to look at memberships I don't use and vow to buy only what I really need, not what I want. It is hard, but worth it to have peace of mind. I have faith that you will make the right decision for you. If these two jobs don't pan out, you will find something that is a better fit. It may just take time.

I am still adjusting to a new schedule, new job, and pay on commission only. It is scary, but exciting at the same time. I am focusing on keeping calm, staying positive, and using this time to heal, rest, and get healthy. My goal is to exercise more days of the week, and on the nights I work late, to not have a full dinner. My dinner will be at lunch, before I leave for work. I really feel healthier when I eat less. I had lots of sugar over the weekend and myh digestive system was messed up, my mood was irritable and a little depressed. So, already, with one day of healthy eating under my belt I feel better. My goodness, I am a sensitive person. I do not understand how I functioned with regular drinking. Whew, AF for me.

To all, have a productive, healthy AF day.
      Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Rustop,

That sounds like wonderful evening - where in the world do the teachers/students go out until 2:30 in the morning? That would have been a killer for me - I'm up by 4:40 a.m. in the morning so I certainly would have been one grouchy mama the next morning! I'm happy for you that you were able to celebrate that event without AL. The actual graduations were AF for me but the parties were pretty much a blurr after about the first hour or so.

Chill - after hubby repairs the wall (got a little over-zelous when trying to remove the wallpaper - no frustrated is probably a better word!), it is going to be PAINTED! I actually looked for wallpaper before I started trying to strip the crap that's on there now but couldn't really decide on one so PAINT IT IS! Hope things pick up for you financially real soon - those little unexpected expenses always bite us and add up quickly when we don't realize it - but you had no choice so now's the easy part when you can just relax and settle in. Your positive attitude always lifts me up!

Another rainy work day here for me - yahoo

Make it a great AF day all!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Good morning May Movers,

Yep Jolie - it's dark & damp again - ho hum!
          We better have pretty nice gardens after this is all said & done

Chill, keep your positive attitude, I'm sure everything will work out just fine

Rustop, kids & teachers celebrating together? That's unheard of around here but sounds kind of nice!

Star, healthy eating makes a big difference for me as well. I do keep some dark chocolate M&Ms on hand but stay away from other junk.

Jolie, someday I'm going to have to bite the bullet & pay someone to paint my living room. The ceilings are way too high & there's 2 ceiling fans up there.......I can't do it. The rest of the place I could do myself if I pushed myself. Not Today though :H

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Tuesday!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Morning all! I am super excited and not just because I am going to get my iPad today! So, the embassy is two days away from processing my husband's application so hopefully He will get his number next weekend then schedule his medical, get his interview and get over here! Woohoo!

Xx
            'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Evening guys

Star - Your experience with food and self care mirrors mine exactly. The chronic fatigue I experience there for a couple of weeks ebbed away again as I began to eat better again and start back on my exercise routine. The difference is amazing! I too find excessive processed food leaves me feeling depressed. I was never aware of this when I was drinking and I suffered a lot of suicidal depression in the latter years but never thought to contribute it to my lifestyle. It is SO wonderful to realize we are in control of these issues more than we thought, the choice is ours.

Paguy - Star reminded me off that insensitive comments you received, when I read it I immediately thought "thats the voice of alcohol" im sure the person concerned would have been drinking. Another great example of the blunderous behaviour drinking can cause.

Cass - Fab news on hubby's application, I hope he joins you very soon. This is an adventure which will be wonderful to share.

Applied for another job today as a receptionist in a Mercedes Dealership, maybe i will get a company car :H

Lav - talking of Teacher/Pupils joining in fun together, this was a story last week in our local news......
              http://youtu.be/a8ipp39V3Lw[/video]]YouTube - The new Scotland Spirit in our schools - Bell Baxter High School, Cupar

I have my 1st date tomorrow evening to meet for a drink, he already knows Im a tee totaller so no pressure there.....
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

P.S. On the subject of eating, I heard a great one the other day and easy to remember.........
                all we have to do is cut out the CRAP!
                Caffine
                Refined sugar
                A
                lcohol
                P
                reservatives
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Well I?ve been gone just over a week and I?ve so much to catch up on this thread moves so fast, you guys don?t stand still! I had an amazing week at the retreat, we were fortunate with the weather and didn?t get too soaked on the hills, the food was delicious and the people were a brilliant group and lovely company. I really managed to move my meditation on and with the guidance and one to one sessions and I can feel a huge difference in the quality of my time sitting in meditation. I really appreciate the time I?ve had to reflect and sort out some things in my head; the last 9 months have been a huge journey and have resulted in a massive transformation in my life since I stopped drinking. The bottom line is that I am content and at peace with myself, and while life always throws curveballs I am in a good place to deal with them. I?m very grateful and so appreciate how fortunate I am.

I?m trying to get some work done in the garden this week but the forecast is for rain tomorrow, however I?ve a pile of books waiting to be read and an ironing lurking in the back of the closet so I?ll see what I wake up to. I took a friend to Prestwick Airport today and on the way back passed the sign for Troon only 3 miles away and thought of you Chill, if I?d thought of it earlier I could have PM?d you and maybe we could have met for a coffee or lunch? I?ll catch up with you all as soon as I can or over the weekend if I get distracted in the garden during the next few days, I?ve missed you all and all your news and i need to go back and reread the threads properly.

Dewdrop :h
                  Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Hi all,

Great to see so much positivity here! I think that is one thing that we are really good at - keeping each other going!

Rustop - wow sounds like your daughter had a very busy night. It must have been a very proud moment for you and your family yesterday. I hope you can get some of your sleep back.

Chill - it has sunk in actually and I am feeling brilliant. You are right! I am so pleased and relieved that the physical moving process is now over! Awesome!!! Let me how you get on with the jobs. How was your date.

Lav - I am pleased to report that the weather will get better towards the end of the week and it is going to be warmer next week. You better get a list of chores ready for YB!!!

Star - I am so pleased and impressed with how you have embraced your new role. It is so difficult to change jobs but i am delighted that you are out of that previously toxic environment. It's awesome...good for you!!! Also, love your plan about dinners. Defo the way to go!!!

Jolie - hey chick! Aren't you just so sick of the rain!!! It's so annoying. It was actually not too bad here today although I did get soaked on my way to the train. Lame!

dew - great to see you and I am glad you had such an awesome time at your retreat.

So got my iPad today!!! yay!!!! It's awesome and let's me keep in better contact with you good people. The iPhone is great for certain things but viewing and posting on mwo is not one of them! I really miss my dad. I have spoken to him every day but it's still weird. I worry about him a lot!

Speak to you gorgeous people later! X
                    'Breakfast, every hour, it could save the world.' Tori Amos

"Turn a stumbling block into a stepping stone."

AF since 23rd December 2010 - progession is paramount! :truce:

"don't be sad because it's over, smile because it happened!"

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Chill - that video was great! Maybe teachers are starting to loosen up a bit, finally. The principal at the high school where YB & I went was a ster, mean looking SOB. Our kids went to the same high school & their principal was (seriously) a big sloppy donut eating nerd. The kids called him 'Joe Bag of Donuts' because he carried a bag of Dunkin Donuts to work everyday :H
                      Good luck on that date girl & I do try to cut out the CRAP!

Dewdrop, your week must have been nearly perfect - you sound wonderful

Cassia, so nice to hear things are moving rigght along for you!
                      Sounds like your husband won't be too far behind!

The rain has been an off & on again thing today, same predicted for tomorrow. This is forcing me to stay in & do a few things around the house. The problem with that is I start seeing things that really need to be addressed (like painting, etc) & I don't want to tackle these projects without some assistance

Well, I hope everyone has a good night!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Good Morning Guys

Dewdrop - your retreat sounds wonderful, Im definitely going to check out the Buddhist retreat on Arran. Yes I am just 5 minutes from the airport! Would have loved to meet you for a coffee. Next time you are down this way let me know.

Cass - my iPad goes down as my most fav possession, it fits in my big handbags and I can use it for skype, I just adore it.

Lav - you sound like you have a lot to maintain there yourself, do you ever think of downsizing? Or maybe finding a good handyman would be an idea instead of being at the mercy of YB all the time.

I have to say the last couple of days I have felt much more settled and at peace. I was driving along the other day and it suddenly hit me, "you're here! You did it!". Its been the hardest thing I have ever done, especially doing it alone. It was heartbreaking to leave the home I had renovated and completely rebuilt to my personal design but at the end of the day it's just a pile of bricks. I always knew I would have to go down to get back up and I'm sure one day in the future I will have my own home again. The weather here is dismal and it has rained now for two weeks. Living on the coast it is also cold and windy, I can't imagine coping with winter but of course I will.
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Hi everyone

Welcome back Dewdrop. Your retreat sounds amazing, cant wait for my teens to fly the nest and I can do all sorts of things like that.

Its not raining here but compared to a few weeks ago it is back to winter. Sorry about the rain Chill but as you say you will get used to it.

Cassia - glad all is going so well for you and that your hubby will soon be there. My older daughter got her US citizenship last summer. Must do the younger one's this year.

I cannot believe my baby is 17 at the week-end!!! Cant remember if I posted that she had a party at home last week-end, I dont get near the computer too much at week-ends. It was on from 8 - 12.30 and thankfully went ok. Some were over 18 so there was alcohol but no problems. Bit nerve wrecking, we only let them have part of the house and the patio but they were a nice bunch of kids. That's it though, if she wants an 18th it will be in a hotel!

Happy hump day to everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Good morning May Movers,

Another ho-hum morning here, still dark, still damp, ugh.

Chill, I will not entertain any real thoughts of moving right now. The real estate market sucks, we would lose money selling this house right now. I won't move myself away from my kids & grandchildren. Most of all I won't do anything to indulge YB's craziness. I'm just going to have to learn to stop complaining I suppose

Rustop, I always thought it would be fabulous when the kids flew the nest but honestly, I really missed them! Turned out they were better company to me than my spouse ever was.

Think I'll run out to the supermarket between rain storms
                            Wishing everyone a great AF Hump Day!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Moving thru May - week 3

Happy Humpday Friends!

It's my last day in Alabama and I leave for home this afternoon!:yay: Then, I don't have to work until next Tuesday. YIPPEE!!! Finally, I will rest and pamper myself. I have earned it.

Chill-you sound marvelous....so glad that move is behind you now and you can focus on more enjoyable things....like dating. Please let me know how the date goes so I can put in article in the MWO Daily Mail. Your fans miss you.

Rustop-I smiled when I read about your daughter's party last weekend. Fun being the mother of a teenager, huh? What will you and your husband do with yourselves once you have an empty nest?

Lav-Now that I'm through wringing my hands over my job, my exam, etc., I can focus on lovely embroidered items from my favorite embroiderer in cow country. Will PM you shortly with some ideas I have for friends and clients. So glad you have this talent.

Dewdrop-your retreat sounds heavenly....you sound very well-rested and at peace.

Cassia-you mentioned your Ipad and I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I'm sooooo sick of hauling my laptop everywhere....an Ipad would be so much easier. Great news on the progress with getting your husband over to the States.

Jolie-can't wait to hear how your walls turn out. I have some OLD OLD OLD wallpaper in my bathroom and I think I will stick with paint the next time around.

Did I ever tell you guys about the last visit I had with my doctor? I can't remember....anyway, all my results were very good...BP, cholestrol, Liver Panel, etc., as opposed to when I was drinking heavily. Of course, she was happy, and I was happy, with the new and improved Rusty, and she asked me how I managed to address my AL issue without going to AA or rehab (her suggestions), and I told her about MWO. She immediately found our website while I was in her office, and said she would tell some of her patients about it. I told her I was disappointed that she had never heard of ANY of the meds...Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen. She thanked me for educating her. I told her MWO saved my life and I've made new friends, too.:h

Papmom-how are you feeling? Check in, please and let us know how you're doing.

A shout out to Paguy, Star, Sooty, Cyn, LBH Mr. G (I haven't heard an answer from you yet regarding my marriage proposal, so I assume you're still thinking about it?:H), and anyone I may have missed!

The sun is out, we're having sushi for lunch and I get to leave at 1:00! But, I'll be back.

Have a happy humpday....I love you guys.:h

Comment

Working...
                              X