Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time visitor long time drinker

Hi everyone!
    I am trying to get out of the grip of drinking and i hope this will help. The thing is i am really good at it and it is the only time that i am at peace.In my case i normally do not drink during the week. I work-out very hard m-f and follow a strict diet but look out on the week-end. I drink so much and spend the entire week-end at the bar.For me there is no middle i know i wont be able to drink if i can quit i will have to leave it alone.I have been doing this for so long i dont even know how to meet or enteract with people outside of a bar.I am really ready for this to happen but i have been for a long time so i hope thia will help!

Hi Dawg.....great name...I imagine you to look a little like Davy Crockett!!!!
    Welcome to the site....let's not beat about the bush...this is the BEST place to be for advice, shoulders the size of Arnie Shwarz. to lean on and a great place to come and spend time instead of the bar.
    ...keep posting, and if you feel AF is the way to go for you, you'll find plenty of tips to get on track and stay there....Go through the help stuff, the books, meds and supps and cds, I know some get by without, but it's a really sound way to get your dawgy teeth into this....arm yourself well, and if you're a work out guy, maybe you can post some tips too in the fitness forum.
    Being ready is the first big step....here's where everyone helps you up the rest (a bit like a reverse slinky!!) .............speak to you soon The Melon

Comment

Welcome!

Welcome to the boards of support, advice, and much needed hugs! This is the place to come to gain the valuable insight and inspiration for getting sober! Welcome, welcome, welcome!:welcome:

Comment

Go big or stay home, ay? Its been my credo for too long, too. Work hard, strict diet . . . then all the energy you spent working hard and keeping your diet is channeled into drinking. Its a transference of sorts. Only, the fun kind, that takes little effort. I know. Oh, how I know. (But, the fun has its limits before it becomes some vicious animal that eats it's young. And, we are it's young.)
        This community is a great find because as your used to your bar-encounters, this is an anonymous way of entering into another sort of encounter. Another sort of transference. Only this one is helpful, and you'll remember your conversations.
        Welcome to the boards.
        Yah, I know Moderation; I pass it every day on my way to Excess.

Comment

Welcome Coondawg!

You have come to the right place for education, support, and encouragement!

~Laura
          ~Laura

Insanity
          : doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results................... Albert Einstein

Comment

I am new and really struggling with the drinking (EVERYDAY). the withdrawal symptoms are awful. any suggestion on how to make the withdrawal easier? Thanks so much
            :new:

Comment

Hi Dawg & blue (can I call you that) :welcome: to the site

This place is amazing, i'm sure that you will find any help and support that you need.

Blue, as for withdrawal, I found that reducing my alcohol intake helped, gradually had a couple less every day and drank slower.............

I've gone from 3 bottles of wine at least everyday to 1 bottle, and now I don't have the 1st drink till at least 7pm (still too much but i'm getting there) and i've even had a couple of AF (alcohol free) nights.

All the best both of you...

Love & hugs, Paula :h :l :h
              sigpicXXX

Comment

Hi Blue
                Are you taking any vitamins or supps? And also - are you trying to withdraw suddenly? How much did you drink before (withdrawing can be really dangerous ) - do you have medical supervision?
                Just concerned
                Jen
                Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

coodawg, you've got a ready-made solution for your weekend socializing: use that work out skill to go and be with healthy people on the weekends doing mountainbiking, hiking, or whatever is in your area....just a thought. I do much better with my drinking when I'm going to my martial arts classes regularly.

BlueBlue are you at a point that you've been to before where you think you can do it alone but just don't want to put up with the pain/nightmares of withdrawel? I'd still recommend a doctor visit to be safe (I just toughed it out even though I was scared) but this last time I took hi-potency magnesium, B vitamins, liver support suppliments, glutamine, and selienium (getting to be an expensive habbit) and to help sleep took valerian but it didn't help much. I found out later that no-flush niacin or powdered inositol works much better for me to sleep and stop twitching so much (with magnesium). no matter what the first 3 days hurt realllllly freeeking bad for me after a multiple day binge. Hang in there and keep in touch.
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                  X