Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - July 25 - July 31

Hi Everyone:

Yesterday was our annual picnic at the park. It ended w/a 2 speaker meeting. I remember my first one 2 years ago...gee, was I ever scared to go! I knew I needed to make connections, but I didn't want to go & socialize wo/alcohol...especially w/people I barely know. Now, sober socializing is what I do. I've come a long way, baby!

I'm going to keep this short. The readings in the Daily Meds are mostly about step 7. I'm getting ready to work on step 4.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Mary! Thanks for getting us going this week. Yes it is interesting to reflect back on how things seemed a couple years ago v. how they are now.

I will be interested to hear your approach to step 4 the second time around. Are you going to re-examine everything? Or only things you didn't examine last time? (new, or overlooked)

I am starting on a mission to find underlying fears in my current life. I dont' abuse AL any more (since I don't drink it) but have gotten into a rut with bad eating habits. I came across a program that is very structured in terms of self examination. The woman who designed it makes many references to AA/Alanon. I had an "aha" moment when she talked about underlying fears. I think I have some "low grade" issues going on right now that I am "stuffing" down with food rather than alcohol. Still not healthy! I will be using her tools along with the AA tools to work on this.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: My sponsor already said she doesn't want to go over old ground. I know I missed issues in the first round w/step 4, & of course, there are always new issues that have cropped up. Those will be the ones I'll look at.

I will be looking at my fears again. I don't think I can review them enough, as those are what drove my drinking.

I too have been using food as a way to numb out. A bag of chips really satisfies that urge as nothing healthy can (an apple for instance). It's amazing how we addictive types find anything to substitute for alcohol...gambling, sex, food, activity, etc.

Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi ALL,
        Hope all is well, just keep hearing bad news another friend that used to go to my first group meetings and then went on to AA meetings has pass away with this illness, was not that close to her like my other friend but cant believe it because the last time i saw her was over 2 months ago and she was doing really well and looking really well in her self.

You know i could open a DVD shop with all the dvds i have bought since i have stop drinking. i have started to cut down on my sugar, now !!! finding it really hard....

I once heard some1 say they do a step 4 every year !!!! but everyone is different, if it works, keep doing it.

catch22.x
        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Greetings,
          I suspect we will be "doing the steps" the rest of our lives. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
          I went to meeting at Millwood Hospital tonight. There were 15 "customers" and 4 AA'ers. Most of the folks were so young and into drugs. One young man used heroin. Wow, for an old beer drinker like me, that sounds like such scary stuff. I hope we shared a few words that will help someone.
          Love and Peace,
          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

soul sickness.....

You know Phil, even if i have to do those steps over and over again shall be it. If my sponsor say to me you might neeed to do the steps again i will.
            My soul is feeling a bit sick today!
            one of my friends is homeless the last 2days because other drug users kick him out of his own flat i was really hoping that the group, CHRISTIAN group i go to that one of them would take him in, because thats what they do you see, You see the church helps people with addicitions no one will take him in ! They have taken in other addicictions are they judying him the way he looks( Who am i to say) i feel really bad because i was the one that started taking him to this group hoping he will get help he need it, he ask for it, he accept it that he needs HELP ( big step that is !) but he gets turn away every where he goes, The Fu%king system is fu%ked up if you ask me. !
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hi guys. Catch, I can so relate to your frustration with the world around us and the homeless addicts who need more than our world seems sometimes willing to give. :l Know in your heart that you are doing all you can, and please keep generously doing it just like you have been. We can't change the "system" on the big level, but we can keep doing the next kind thing one person at a time.

Phil, I just had a meeting yesterday with the head of one of our local treatment centers. Might do my internship there. He was talking about the serious escalation in drug use - heroin in particular - in our community and especially among the young people. Deaths in our county due to heroin overdose have gone from an average of 5 or 6 per year to 26 last year, and a pace of 50+ for this year. Scares me too.

Off to chair a meeting but wanted to say a quick hello and just let you know these posts really resonated with me.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Just wanted to pop in & say hello. Yesterday was a beach day w/old friends. Great time!
                October 3, 2012

Comment

I just wanted to add that we'll be spending the weekend taking care of the g-sons, so if I don't check in it's because of that. M
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Good meeting last night on the 7th tradition. It continues to amaze me that a huge organization can run on people putting a dollar in the basket at meetings. Being financially independent means AA doesn't have to take a stand or endorse anything. All they are about is helping another alcoholic. Incredible.

M
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Yes Mary, that is amazing. One dollar at a time.

Some of the homeless guys were by the club where I go to meetings yesterday. It was nice to see them. One guy in particular is a very late stage active alcoholic, so it was good just to see him alive. It's been such a tough year weather wise for these guys with all the extremes we've had during the winter and the summer.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                      X