Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else have sleep issues?

Hi all,
    I'm only on Day 3 but one of the reasons I want to stop drinking is in hopes that I may be able to sleep better. I always blamed my poor sleep patterns on all the wine I had before I went to sleep but now they are exactly the same without a drop. I usually drop off to sleep right away, wake up about 4 hours later and stay awake for several hours before dropping into a sound sleep in the early morning hours. Then I can't wake up when the alarm goes off and am exhausted all day. Now I'm wondering if maybe the problem isn't related to alcohol. I know this may not seem like a very big problem but it really impacts my life and I don't have the energy to get much done at all. Any insight would be appeciated.
    bd

Golfdiva,
    You are going to love the sleep you get while not drinking! By day 9 you will probably have tons of Energy & be sleeping like a Baby.... I sure did. Keep up the good work....... Ps- Remember to take Bcomplex & vit C, it really helps!

Comment

Hi Golfdiva,

Insomnia is one of the symptoms of withdrawal from alcohol. Drove me nuts! I used melatonin to help regulate my sleep until my natural patterns sorted themselves out without the booze. There are various herbal sleep remedies you could try.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I had horrific sleep issues before I stopped drinking. I was stunned. Even 1-2 glasses of wine or beers messed my sleep up. Research it and you'll be shocked. I was! You won't believe the quality of your sleep if you stop drinking!

Comment

Hi

Sleep disorders are common in withdrawal. the only difference between while you are drinking you technically wake up "hungover" withdrawal in the middel of the night from a disturbed and artificial sleep which keeps you awake while in case of withdrawal it is primarily because of REM.
          During my withdrawal camomile tea was a real helpful (used to have 3-4 cups spread over 2 hrs before hitting the sack). Another important factor is keeping your serotonin high. many things help here especially good nutrition (and lots of lean meat). Sunflower seeds are real helpful too. This is not unsolicited advertising but you may want to read my article on this.
          Sunflower Seeds- A Natural Source to Fight Depression and Stress | Suite101.com

Hope this helps and all the very best

Vijay

Comment

Well I knew alcohol interrupts sleep patterns but I had no idea disruption also occurs during withdrawal. I guess I naively expected to sleep soundly through the night from day 1. I will head out in the morning to purchase melatonin and sunflower seeds. I will try the camomile this evening. Vynan, what a great article. Sounds as if I better begin munching lots of the sunflower seeds. To get a good night's sleep is alone worth the withdrawal for me. I'm so tired of being tired!

Comment

Golfdiva, being exhausted the next day was my single biggest motivator!

Comment

Sleep is hard to come by. Napping helps.

Comment

I ordered some curtains that "black out" sunlight. That might be one thing to help? I put them up and we'll see. Where I am it gets light far before when I'd like to rise, so maybe -- or whenever you are up it could also be helpful for naps or early bedtime.

Comment

Ive had insomnia as far back as I can remember. When I stopped drinking, for a while my sleep improved greatly.

Here for the last few weeks, Im waking up at 2 or 3 am, and not being able to get back, and it SUCKS

Wish I could do an Ambien drip all night..............LOL
                    Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I found initially after giving up my sleep improved loads.
                      After 3-4 months AF it started to deteriorate again
                      Now I have good nights and bad ones. Also I dream more now (not nice dreams) but maybe its just that I remember them more?
                      I am trying herbal sleeping tablets to see if it helps, as I used the non herbal ones before with a cocktail of wine and vodka every night and I woke up feeling like shit every morning, and still didn't sleep well!!!
                      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

pingu1997;1183931 wrote: I found initially after giving up my sleep improved loads.
                        After 3-4 months AF it started to deteriorate again
                        Now I have good nights and bad ones. Also I dream more now (not nice dreams) but maybe its just that I remember them more?
                        I am trying herbal sleeping tablets to see if it helps, as I used the non herbal ones before with a cocktail of wine and vodka every night and I woke up feeling like shit every morning, and still didn't sleep well!!!

WOW me too, only my poison of choice was sleep pills, jack daniels, and beer until my eyes shut
                        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

I am getting around 4 hours a night. I am completely conked out for the 4 hours. Sunday and Monday I did not drink at all. Yesterday I did drink but not near as much as I used to. It was the same sleep last night. But I am not even sure of the 4 hours. I was awake, I think, between 2 - 6 this morning. But I had little flashes of dreams during that. Not good dreams either. But I have not waken up hungover for a few weeks. That is an improvement.

Comment

SPAM
                            It could be worse, I could be filing.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

steveburms;1184577 wrote: yeah its been killing me can't sleep at all please someone give me some advice I really need it
                              Guess I'll take the day shift Tawny. BOOM BOOM POW! REPORTED
                              Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Working...
                              X