Natural Supplements for Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some natural supplements that can be used for anxiety...actually I'm not sure that what I experience is "anxiety" per se. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for supplements that have a calming effect?
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

GABA, Kava, valerian, tryptophan or 5HTP (I use tryptophan). Depends on the anxiety issue. Have you searched the holistic section, I'd be surprised if there isn't something there on it. You can google any of these or buy Julia Ross' book The Mood Cure and she'll diagnose you right up.
    Good luck K9~

Comment

If baclofen didn't work so well for anxiety I'd check out Blue Skullcap.
      Scutellaria lateriflora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
      George Santayana

Comment

K9 - there is another one that Lavande talks about. I can't remember the name but you can track her down in the newbies nest or monthly abs and just ask her about it. (wish I could remember the name!! one of these days..

Good luck - lots of great ideas of stuff to try here. For myself, GABA and L-Tryptophan seemed to make a great different in my mood. GABA in particular in early sobriety. L-Tryp is a mainstay to this day.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

K-9,

Really, Baclofen for anxiety is the best thing that ever happend for me. I have fought it for years. After only 20mg. on the first day, the anxiety subsided. I still take it for the anxiety aspect. Nothing has ever compared.
          Hope you are well, you're signature line has always been in my heart. I think about it often.
          I too, love my daughter more than alcohol. Thanks for that.

LL:l
          The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Zen meditation is aimed at calming anxiety. I just read a book on it which was very systematic. Zen calms the amygdala which is the anxiety centre of the brain.

Gaba is recommended by Joan Larson in Seven Weeks to Sobriety along with a host of other natural supplements but Baclofen is the one chemical which actually does substitute for the substance missing from your brain which calms anxiety.

I am, of course, a complete neophyte when it comes to Zen and not that good at it. The book I have suggests that when you find your thought becoming "anxious" that you say to yourself "thinking". It does not matter how long you have been "thinking" but make a note of how long it was you were "thinking". Then pay attention to your breathing unitl your mid calms and the thoughts go away. If the thoughts are stronger then concentrate on a pressure point such as your lips touching each other or pressing your thumb to your finger. Then think about your breathing. Also, each week take one of the five precepts, not harming, not taking, truthful speaking, etc. and concentrate of putting that principle into effect by thinking about what you are saying and doing.

That is about as far as I got with it so sorry if I am not mindful yet. Perhaps it is too soon.
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

I used to use Kava Kava for anxiety, but chose to go back on meds. I think kava is great, and I really don't think it harms the liver at all.

Comment

Rhodiola is something Sunshinedaisies uses, I think for anxiety/depression. You might look it up, I'm thinking about ordering it.

Comment

k9 lover, are you on baclofen?

I can relate to anxiety issues as they largely control my life. I have been on a lot of meds and supplements for this, and so far baclofen has worked better than anything else, on day #18 right now! If you are interested in supplements to help, you have to be weary of them just as you would be with some meds.

I have read some replies of suggestions above, and all of the things listed here will not cross what is called the blood brain barrier, thus making them fairly useless for anxiety.

some supplements that will cross the blood brain barrier and can be very effective for anxiety are:
                  -picamilon
                  -phenibut
                  -pharma gaba (not to be confused with regular gaba, as they are very different)

The thing you MUST be careful with these is they can have just as bad of tolerance and addiction issues as prescription meds, but you can get them as supplements. Don't take them every day, just ocasionally as needed.

You wont be able to pick any of these up at the local drug store, you will have to order them online, but they are completely legal.

Just be careful with them, especially phenibut, it works great but can really bite you in the ass if you abuse it.

Comment

boosted_b16;1201884 wrote:

I have read some replies of suggestions above, and all of the things listed here will not cross what is called the blood brain barrier, thus making them fairly useless for anxiety.
                    Not true. L-Tryp does cross the blood-brain barrier but only in small amounts. To increase the amount, you need to take it with some OJ. The insulin kick helps ease its way through. Also, for L-tryp to convert into serotonin you must be sure you have a surplus of vits C and B6. Plus L-Tryp will try to convert into Niacin, so if you are Niacin deficient L-Tryp won't do diddly-squat for you.

So, if you're taking L-Tryp, you're wasting your time if you don't swallow it with OJ and take masses of Vits C, B6 and Niacin.

If you're taking 5-HTP instead of L-Tryp, you must NOT take B6 supplements, that's v v dangerous. I just thought I'd better point that out because lots of people seem to consider them the same thing. They ain't.
                    "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

Hi K9

Bach flower rescue remedy is useful for anxiety that comes on quickly

Take Care
                      Patrice

Comment

ifulovelife2;1201927 wrote: Not true. L-Tryp does cross the blood-brain barrier but only in small amounts. To increase the amount, you need to take it with some OJ. The insulin kick helps ease its way through. Also, for L-tryp to convert into serotonin you must be sure you have a surplus of vits C and B6. Plus L-Tryp will try to convert into Niacin, so if you are Niacin deficient L-Tryp won't do diddly-squat for you.

So, if you're taking L-Tryp, you're wasting your time if you don't swallow it with OJ and take masses of Vits C, B6 and Niacin.

If you're taking 5-HTP instead of L-Tryp, you must NOT take B6 supplements, that's v v dangerous. I just thought I'd better point that out because lots of people seem to consider them the same thing. They ain't.
                        This is all very interesting. Have you looked at the All-One forumula recommended here at MWO? Do you think it contains enough C & Bs to allow addition L-Tryp to be effective? (it has some L-tryp already in it I think)

Link to label of Original formula, which is the one recommended here at MWO:
                        ALL ONE Original Formula-10 Day Supply - Products

Link to Active Senior formula, the one I have been taking for some reason, even though I am only 29:
                        1 Active Seniors

Any comments you have would be welcome!

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi DG

They really do try to cover all the bases with All-One don't they? Loads of good stuff, but the amounts of some of them are pretty low. Do you just take the recommended dose of 1 tablespoon? If so that only gives you 100mg of niacin and 25mg of B6. According to Seven weeks to sobriety, for L-Tryp to be fully effective, you should be taking 500mg of Niacin and 150mg of B6.

Also, the amount of L-Tryp in the All-One is negligible really, just 75mg. Really, I think you need to take 1 to 4 grams per day.

Please everybody bear in mind I am not a medical professional and no one should ever base any actions or decisions on anything I ever say ... 'cos I'm a bit of a dick.
                          "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

All,

I have started taking Gaba - Gamma Amniobutyric Acid, which I hope will help with the insomnia. It also benefits stress and anxiety.
                            I have been reading about Serotonin Syndrome.
                            It seems like maybe Gaba and Bac should not be taken together?
                            Otter and Brenda please chime in.

Thanks

LL
                            The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

You have to be extremely careful with taking L-Tryp and other serotonin increasers not to use them if you're already taking an SSRI anti-depressant, 'cos Serotonin Syndrome is heap bad doodoo.

LL, I'm not aware of baclofen increasing serotonin though, so not sure what the concern is there.

Comment

Working...
                              X