Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop this

How do I stop drinking?

Every morning, I swear I will never drink again and every evening I drink a bottle or two of wine. I am suffering from depression and my doctor thinks a good part of it is to with with my drinking.

I want to be sober and I want to be happy.

All I seem to do during the day is sleep and mope about the house. Looking around me now is such a mess, I just don't clear anything up any more.

I shout, scream and cry at my husband constantly.

I don't care that Christmas is coming up (a big drinking time), I just want to quit now.

How do I stop this

Alex - I really feel for you. I was in the same repetitive cycle when i finally quit. Started every day with self loathing and the conviction that "today" i wouldnt drink. By lunchtime id be reconsidering and planning the drinks for that evening. It grew to two bottles of wine a night and with it the depression grew until i was suicidal and suffering from anxiety attacks.

Start with baby steps, do it ODAT one day at a time, forever seems too huge. Identify your worst triggers and make a plan to change things. I found that my witching hours were around 6-7pm when id pour my 1st drink. Avoiding that one drink is all you need to do. Make sure you are busy with something else around your trigger times. Get out for a walk, talk to a friend, take an exercise class, do absolutely anything other than what you usually do. When you start to string days together you will feel better and come out of that darkness. It will also give you the strength to focus and make a plan.

Wishing you well and hope you find the wonderful support here that i did.
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Comment

How do I stop this

Hi Alex-

Most of us here have been in your situation, me included. It?s miserable. The good news is, it CAN get better. This place is chock full of people that have been through a living hell, and are now living a wonderful alcohol free life.

I used to drink at least 12 or more beers per night, and like you, every morning I swore I would never do it again. But of course I did, and that went on for years and years. My drinking behavior was completely insane. The drunken madness was consuming my life, whether it was happening at the moment, or I was dealing with the after effects of my outbursts. I too was diagnosed as being depressed, but since being alcohol free, I feel no depression or anxiety. You said you?ve spoken to your doctor about your drinking and depression, was he or she able to suggest any medication to help you? I found that finally being honest about my drinking habits enabled me to finally break free.

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome you and let you know you are NOT alone in this. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, we?ll support you along the way.

K9
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
      X