Catholic Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catholic Corner

I see that New Creation asked a while ago if there were any Catholics here who would like to join together and share stories, and support.

I would like to start this thread specifically for practicing Catholics - of course all are welcome - however, I would not want this to degenerate into discussions about other faiths, and argue with people who don't believe in what the Catholic Church teaches - that would be a waste of time, and would get us off the track.

What I would like to do is share my journey, using the Mass, the Sacraments, and the Rosary to help me in my quest for sobriety - through the grace of God.

So I'll post here once in a while to see if there is any interest. My sig is: Commit Thy way to the Lord, and trust in Him, and He will do it. And for me, that's the only way!!
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Goal: Survival

Catholic Corner

Hello to any other Catholics out there who would like to be sober and grateful.

An interesting group of Catholics for sobriety is called Calix (I think that means Chalice in Latin). They follow the 12 step method but they do it as Catholics - frequent Mass, Confession, spiritual guidance from your parish priest, meetings for conferences and talks and support etc. This might be worth checking out.
    Ask yourselves, would you rather be a non drinker with an occasional desire to drink or a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it?
    (quote from Bean )

Comment

Catholic Corner

Hi MWOLady......I'm Catholic.....church every Sunday.....What do you think about the new additions in our responses during mass ? Tony
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Catholic Corner

Hi Tony. Actually we attend the Latin Mass celebrated by the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (NOT the Pius X people) so the changes don't effect us at all.

I did attend the new Mass one day last month when I was not feeling well in the morning and missed our Mass and I was amazed at the big fuss over such small changes! What do you think of them? Was there resistance in your parish?

Just to be clear so you don't think I'm a nut case - our priests are members of a priestly association directly under the Holy Father - and their apostolate is to offer the Holy Mass and all the Sacraments using the missal in place prior to 1962. So we just act as if VII did not happen as far as our missals and sacraments. And we are perfectly loyal to the Holy Father and to the Magisterium of the Church. And of course our local Bishop.

When Bishop Lefebre started up the Pius X apostolate all was well until he consecrated new Bishops without the Holy Father's permission. At that time about a dozen of his priests asked the Pope to form them into an association of priests "of St. Peter" that is under the Vicar of Christ. And we've been doing our thing ever since.

On another note, I hope to keep this thread going and please join me if you want to. I think we will gather more folks as time goes by.
        (quote from Bean )

Comment

Catholic Corner

Humm.....My oldest son belongs to ST. Hilary.....Latin Mass.....old 1st. Vatican style. It's a small gathering....priest come in from various states. ( He probably belongs to your congregation ! Ha! ) He won't go to my church. Changes are ok.....just takes time to get comfortable with them.
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Catholic Corner

Say, Tony, do you think there are other Catholics out there on this forum that will join in? I just feel there is a difference in the way we Catholics look at things. For example, I have prayed many times that Our Lord would take this addiction away from me. The answer is obviously NO!!! He wants me to suffer this trial. I think that's an attitude that non-Catholics would not understand - that suffering can be turned into good. I always say I'm working off my Purgatory!!!!

Anyway yesterday was my first AF day in a long time and I feel a new sense of hope. Good time of year I guess to make a new start.

Happy New Year to you and your family. With a grown son you must be older like me. I'm 66 now - husband is 69 both retired and loving that!! I would sure like to end my days completely free of alcohol. It has caused such unhappiness to me and my children for so many years.
            (quote from Bean )

Comment

Catholic Corner

It's hard to say what other Catholics will do....many of them are down and out when they come here. It's a shame.......We all have our cross to bare, I do be leave that prayer helps a lot. but support and speaking to people in our own condition is very important. Check out some of our Forums....a good one is " The Journey begins here Get your A_ _ in gear" Dec. Sounds a little naughty but it's not really. Good people that care are their......including myself ! Ha! God Bless.....(Yes I'm retired...Ha!)
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Catholic Corner

Yeah, I'll check out that thread. There are so many that if I follow more than a few I forget where I am!

You are right about many Catholics that come here are down and out. I've been there, done that. I was away from my Faith for 30 years and had many drunken years in there too. Our Dear Lord in His mercy gave me that kick in the pants that I needed and I came back to our beautiful Church. I've been sober on and off since then and struggle a lot. But now I seem to have a new incentive - God is so good!

I was thinking today about all the wonderful things I DO have - I just can't have alcohol. Sort of like Adam and Eve in the Garden. They had EVERYTHING - except the fruit of that ONE tree. So what did they want? The fruit off that three. Just like me. I can have any kind of food and drink I want (and can afford!) but just not that one thing: alcohol. But that's what I WANT!!!! So I guess that's where gratitude comes in eh? I have to be grateful for all I do have and just forget the one thing I can't.

Have a great day.
                (quote from Bean )

Comment

Catholic Corner

I was introduced to Taize music in a Franciscan Catholic Church. LOVE it and listen to this type of music all the time. Other denominations also have Taize but I always think of it as Catholic. It was developed by monks in France and has a lot of very simple chant. Are either of you familiar with it? It gives me a lot of comfort.

Comment

Catholic Corner

Yes, I know a little about Taize. It was not Catholic monks who began this movement but protestant monks in France. As we attend a very traditional parish we would not participate in it - however, whatever brings us closer to Our Lord is a wonderful thing!!!

I love Gregorian Chant - also very soothing and brings us to a deeper place where the world just seems to go away - sometimes especially when we are worried about drinking, not drinking, or whatever is on our minds a little chant is just wonderful.
                    (quote from Bean )

Comment

Catholic Corner

Anyone familiar with "The Matt Talbot Way" , to slake a thirst, method of fighting booze and addictions?

Comment

Catholic Corner

Hi,

I am Catholic! I feel that the new responses were an unnecessary change Tony, they caught my family by surprise as we do not go to church ever Sunday. Would be interested in learning more about the topics mentioned :hGina

Comment

Catholic Corner

Georgie.......Yep I keep screwing up every Sunday. I refuse to pick up that extra sheet of paper with the them new verses. Ha! My son laughs at me when I keep saying the same old verses........Oh-Bla-Dee, Oh -Bla-Da.......Ha! I don't think God really cares about the new verses.....Tony
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Catholic Corner

I am so happy to have some Catholic friends on MWO and I was really afraid of changing the responsed in the Mass too, but for some reason, I really like the changes. I still mess up a lot, but I think the changes are good, for some reason. Thanks for posting here. Not many of us do that!
                            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Catholic Corner

Starfish.......glad to hear from you. I understand why they made the changes.....but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks ! Ha! Here's a new one.....one of our parishioners, is kind goofy ( in a good way) decided to give me a fist bump (fist tap) for our sing of peace. Ha! What a crazy world. We still have fun in church...Ha! Tony
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X