Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread April 2 - April 8

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would start this thread..........Went to a meeting Saturday, got a sponsor, and will meet with her this Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hope everyone is doing well.

UN

Good morning, UW!
    Thanks for getting us started. Glad you have found a sponsor. I have had a sponsor for a couple of months now, I guess. She is very good and gentle, but helps me a lot.
    I went to a dinner/meeting a week ago Saturday, helped set up and cook, etc. it was a nice experience for me. Also went to a regional conference on Saturday with my sponsor and two other women from our women's group, and that was a good experience, too. You can always take away something form every meeting.
    I am cutting back on my noon home group meetings. I've been going five days a week most weeks for three and a half months, and it is just time to take a break. Still have my women's group and plan two noon meetings. I get the Grapevine on line and have lots of reading to catch up with!
    Hope everyone is having a good sober week!
    TDN
    "One day at a time."

Comment

Hi all! UW - thanks for getting us started. Congrats on finding a sponsor! I hope it works out well for you. Even if it doesn't, there will be a really great opportunity to learn more aobut yourself and relationships, etc. At least that is what I found. It's all good no matter which way things roll.

TDN - glad your sponsor is helping you! Sounds like you are changing things up in a good way with your meetings and schedule, etc.

I still need to find a new sponsor as mine is "retiring." Once school is out, that is a high priority. I need to get out to some new meetings, and also some that I like, but haven't been able to get to in awhile. I havent' been able to to to "tough chix" in a long time but I'm hoping this summer to work that one back into my Friday routine. That is one amazing group of women. Young heroin addicts to retired teachers (I always think of YOU Mary!). All getting along and sharing the road to recovery. I've always thought there is a future sponsor in that group for me LOL!

I'm the volunteer coordinator for a big community awareness / memorial / rally event coming up a week from Friday. LOTS of AA volunteers are signing up. The value of service work extends beyond the doors of the rooms.

Have a good day all!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I have enjoyed the fellowship element of AA most of all and I feel that has brought to my struggles with AL a sense of support I didn't get in therapy or at home when I tried to fight this on my own.

I really struggled with the black and white definitions of the steps as they are written in the books, but I am coming to realize that although these doctrines are all about man's struggle with alcohol addictions....in the end this is "MY" struggle and that if I am to succeed I need to mold these precepts to my own battle at hand.

Being a control freak powerless is not in my vocabulary. Especially when I think of the enormous effort(s) I have to expend fighting the urge to bop into the liquor store for just a small pint of vodka. I have been sober 36 days I deserve that drink right?? Wrong! I *AM* powerless over alcohol especially after that first sip. This has become more than clear. Drinking is not fun anymore and hasn't been for a long long time.

So I have accepted the 12 steps of AA for what they are and simply will live each day sober while allowing the words and advice of AA to work as a guide to helping me learn to live my life sober. SO far so good.

I had a good laugh to other day at a meeting and this older lady with firey red hair and in the thickest of thick Irish accents said how she came to AA to learn how to drink without blacking out and picking fights with every Chicago Cop she ran into. Made me laugh and also humbled me in how deep down I had once wished I could learn to drink alcohol socially with control.....sigh.
        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
        Watch this and find out....
        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

4TB, you sound like you are on a great path. After a couple of years in AA I have learned " everyone works their own program" . It is a lot less black and white than I thought in the beginning. I too hated the "powerless" word. But I am powerless over that second beer. If I am going to drink one, I better have a dozen in the cooler. I have never drank just one.
          I'm on the road in Minneapolis, hope to catch a meeting here.
          Love and Peace,
          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Just checking in. I've been continuing to go to meetings (they're helping!) and I plan to attend another today. I'll be meeting my sponsor and having lunch afterwards.

I'm so glad I started AA.........I really think it's going to make the difference in my being able to stay sober. I was really touched yesterday when an older man talked about his anxiety - I love it that people can be so open and honest.... very moving!

Hope you're all doing well.

xx,
            UN

Comment

Have a safe and sober holiday weekend everyone!
              Is Addiction Really a Disease?
              Watch this and find out....
              http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

Hi all! Phil, travel safely. Let us know how your road meetings go!

4tbz - wishing you and everyone here a happy holiday weekend too!

UW - I love the open & honest sharing at meetings too. I come from a family where talking and caring about FEELINGS just wasn't done. That is probably why sometimes, the honesty and feelings are so raw, and I can't help but overflow with tears just hearing someone else sharing their stuff. I know I am learning and growing from this experience.

On April fools day one of my sponsees was 2 years clean from drugs (crack/heroin). We are celebrating tomorrow where she will get her coin. I am hoping to find my 2 year coin to give her. She is a "writer" and so I also got her the Woman's Way Through the 12 Steps book and workbook. I am looking forward to celebrating with her in the morning!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X