My experience with exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this would be a good place to post from my rant in holistic healing,

Yes I'd say too excise has been a huge factor. The time it kills, the feeling from the endorphins, and the results you see are my favourite! I found in the beginning, being bored...sitting around the house was a disaster waiting to happen! Beer? Why not..
    By getting out, my mind stays off the impulse and temptation to get drunk, and when I get home I feel so good the last thing on my mind is a beer.

My sleeping pattern was shattered from years of AL abuse...Getting drunk til 3 am, getting up for work at 7am.... Ughhhh... the memories...the hangovers were obscene! By starting a daily exercise routine, I found after my initial 4-5 day withdrawal night sweats, my sleeping became more normal. Bedtime became 10. I sleep great and wake up refreshed!

The benefits of exercise are the tools you need to help in the battle with AL. You have to stick with it, get into a routine. It doesn't feel good the first week! You will be sore and tired, but stick with it and remember the time you spend exercising is time you're not drinking. There will be 100 other things you will want to do, but you have to keep exercising. You will start to feel better and soon. I promise...

Nobody said quitting AL was easy... Quitting AL is the hardest thing I have ever tried!

Instead of concentrating on quitting drinking, I concentrate on exercising and taking my supplements, living AF is the result.

Boh
    http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Hi Boh
    Great encouraging words to get me inspired. I have always being one for exercise though it's in fits n' starts . 10 days AF and eating such an incredible amount of food. I keep coming back to this area cause I want to get motivated, just feel dealing with a lot of stuff already and want to be ok with me. Yeah me too the first 4 nights real bad night sweats but now sleeping like a baby. Can't believe how good I feel in the morning and no guilty feelings. Not so afraid to look in the mirror. Gosh I can't believe how much time I have wasted on drinking. When I was running I always rewarded myself with a few drinks, wake up feeling crap, run around the block, everyone thought I was wonderfully healthy & fit, sometimes even drank before I went out swimming in the sea, can you believe that. Swam out deep too. Stupid so stupid. Actually drank for any reason, before :new:a meeting drank after the meeting to wind down and had such a hard day. Now I notice I get heaps more done in my day and not so anxious or stressed somehow my days flow more smoothly. Now just need to adjust my schedule and get some any exercise in. Mine you I am in full operations cleaning like a mad woman. Gosh I can't believe I had let everything go so far and I thought it was all ok.:new:

Comment

Hi Aoife, i really find exercise helps - even 30 mins will break you out of the bad thought patterns. I am slowing getting to the stage that I am able to run quite a bit and don't want a hangover to interrupt my next days run. I'm not always successful but am getting there. Went for a run yesterday evening because I was feeling a bit restless, and that always ends up in the same place. Felt amazing afterwards but didn't reward myself with a drink or chocolate but with loads of praise. We are so hard on ourselves sometimes but we need to give ourselves a clap on the back for just getting out there and trying to make the changes, bit by bit. It may take time but if you give yourself credit for the small steps, you will feel stronger to make the bigger ones. Forget the past, its over. We have all been stupid. Its what comes that counts, nothing else. From now on things will be different - just believe it!

Comment

Thanks Meadow guess what I did this morning jumped on my bike to the supermarket. Went the long way round and had a heavy pack of groceries on my back. So thanks for the inspiration. Will keep popping back on this forum. Enjoy all the positive stuff. Find it hard to read some stories so sad, it took a long time for me to reach out now that I have this wonderful support I am grabbing it with all my heart and all my soul. I thank God every day for bringing me here.. I cried for years for him to help me, but he knew a few years ago I was not ready! I feel so happy and aspiring to absolutely freedom.:thanks:

Comment

With all of my past attempts to not drink, for me I think exercise is key. I love the way I feel after exercising. Still struggling with I choose AL over it some, many, times.

Comment

It

Comment

Hi, It is good thing that you improve your habits and start exercise. Continue it....:goodjob:

Comment

So here I surface again. No exercise and putting on weight that never thought possible in areas as was always fit young and could get away with it. Not so these days. Today did a round of weight training only 1/2 hour gosh I hope I can do this. Yes had a few wines but ok. but its not ok cause most people would not think of drinking so early in the week.

Comment

Hi Ofie,

There I was, top of my world.... A king, AF for 9 months, lifting weights, getting in shape, top of my game at 30 yrs old.

Then my Best friend in the whole world died. He was an alcoholic like me. He was young and healthy but just never quit drinking.

I've been drinking ever since with a short stop from October til January.

I don't know what to do.

I read what you said in your first post and I had chills. I done the exact same! I've been a drunk since the age of 15. I've drank before everything... Golf, movies, plays, carnivals, church...haha jj I don't attend church.

Right now I'm lost.

I hope you come back. I know I need to. !!

Third times a charm!

Comment

Dear Boh and Aoife,
                    I just posted that I need to get more exercise in my life, and came to this thread hoping it would help motivate me. Read your posts and am writing to encourage you to get back into MWO posting. There's a group on the Just Starting Out thread who are working toward an AF June. Why don't you join us there?

I started trying to live an AF life in late Feb. Had some good successes, and some times when I chose to drink. I know that regular exercise helped me enormously get past intense cravings.

Do hope you'll join us in the AF June thread. We could use some more exercise enthusiasts.
                    Free at Last
                    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Hi!

Thanks for the invite. I'm not sure why I checked in today... I'm a drunk, I can't stand myself. Maybe an AF July would be more appropriate for me. I'm sorry. I am very lost at the present moment. I should not come here when I have nothing positive going.

Wow, the highs and lows... Documented as above.

This is my low.

I wish I could quit AL for good. Stupid obstacles in life, friends, and death...

Sorry just venting, not much of a health post.

I've fallen

Third times a charm!

Comment

Boh,

I wish I could quit AL for good. Stupid obstacles in life, friends, and death...
                        We have all learned to "deal" with those obstacles by avoiding them with alcohol.

My last sober, a simple 90 days ago, nowhere near where you have achieved, started with me telling myself that no matter what, no matter how bad, no matter how anxious, no matter how mad, no matter what, I would do it sober.

God has a sense of humor. Two days after I sobered up, hubby ended up in hospital with a serious illness. Mom ended up in hospital with who knows what. But, because I told myself "no matter what," and, in my case, taking Antabuse so that I KNEW it would be no matter what, I faced it all sober.

In AA we always start with The Serenity Prayer.

Everyone knows the part we say: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

However, the prayer goes on and I wish we would say the next stanza:

Living one day at a time;
                        Enjoying one moment at a time;
                        Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world
                        as it is, not as I would have it;
                        Trusting that He will make all things right
                        if I surrender to His Will;
                        That I may be reasonably happy in this life
                        and supremely happy with Him
                        Forever in the next.
                        Amen.

I am not throwing religion at you at all. I am suggesting, however, that in AA they have chosen this prayer because we have a problem that tries to avoid living life on life's terms.

Whether you believe in God or not, it might help you to realize that life is going to throw obstacles at you whether you are sober or not.

It is better take them on sober.

I hope you can pull yourself up out of the abyss and start on the path to sobriety again.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Boh;1522183 wrote:

Sorry just venting, not much of a health post.

I've fallen
                          Hi, Boh.

You can do it for good - the tools you need are here, including a large group of people eager to help you (and help themselves in the process).

You could help us, too, if you're willing to share your experiences.

You could start NOW and get a running start on the monthly thread that Free invited you to join.

We'd also love to see you over in the Newbies Nest!

Comment

Hi Boh,
                            Hoping you will check out some of the threads in the Starting Out section and join us on this AF journey. Some are farther along, but we all know what a struggle it is and are there to support one another.

Sometimes I think of this process as a long run. If I stumble, I can stay where I am, waiting for it to get colder, darker, lonelier. Or, I can get up, and start putting one foot forward, again and again.
                            Free at Last
                            "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                            http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

My experience with exercise.........is that it makes you hot & sweaty, gives you shortness of breath, and makes you sore for the next week ! What's good about that ! Ha! ( only kidding...ha!)
                              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X