Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fatty liver healthy again!

Hi Everyone!

Every time I try to post, I do not save properly, and my post goes away...but just in case this might encourage someone else, I am trying again. In October 2010 an abdominal CT scan for a different issue revealed that I had overall steatosis in my liver (no surprise, due to my fondness for WAY too many daily gin martinis...) and thanks to MWO and by dint of a lot of HARD "self-brain-washing," I was able to reduce my AL use enough so that an ultrasound at the same diagnostic lab on July 7, 2011 showed "Normal Liver Ultrasound."

Two physicians said, "No alcohol whatsoever," but one PA actually LOOKED at my liver stats and said I COULD continue to drink, as they were in the safe range, according to healthy guidelines, ONE drink per day. (Me drinking one drink per day was about as likely as me going to the moon...)

However, her recommendation helped me to adjust gradually to the necessity of changing my own identity as well as my actions. Little by little, using the MWO cds, reading MWO for at least an hour a day, using the MWO toolbox ideas, I was able to accomplish little goals such as an AF day here and there, then 4 or 5 in a row. One fine day I was brave enough to decide " NO AL use at home" (where I mostly drank my "cocktails," to "unwind") ...now we eat dinner at 5 pm instead! Until, one fine day I realized I am mostly Free At Last.

I cannot thank MWO and Roberta Jewell enough...the support, information and encouragement has been literally life-saving. I felt, (oddly), that I could not LIVE without my "daily double," and in addition to MWO and the hypnosis cds, the tools presented in The Work of Byron Katie helped immensely. In addition to Allen Carr's book, Jason Vale's, Carolyn Knapp's, and others, a book called "The Craving Brain" by, I believe, David Rudzin, was useful. I have also used ALL the supplements, at one time or another, which have helped, too.

An additional motivating factor has been the almost total disappearance of the "rosy glow" I have had for the last few years. I just figured my rosacea was simply worsening with age, but, SURPRISE! I was pushing it right along. In fact, vanity continues to be a big help in this struggle.

I am not totally free yet, as AL is still an "issue" for me, but my liver seems to be fine and I am able join my husband and others in "social" drinking. Although now that I know - and accept - the REAL truth about the health effects of AL on the human body, including mine, I am looking forward to eventually dropping it altogether, (lest it come around and bite me when I am not looking!)

It would take all day to list all the names of the generous people whose kindness has helped me in this struggle...so please, all of you, consider yourselves thanked!

Gratefully, F :thanks::new:
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

what a wonderful post !!!! Thank you for sharing
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Farfalla-- that is wonderful!! Would you mind sharing for us a few details of your story and journey such as for how long you had drank and how much you drank. I believe there are many people who like you would not think to get a test or scan done and yet an issue could exist since with liver issues there often are a lack of symptoms. I had a female friend whose gynecologist of all people noted during her yearly exam when they touch the abdomen that her liver felt enlarged. Sure enough-- it was-- she had no other signs of problems but had tests and had fatty liver-- she had been a daily wine drinker but highly functioning alcoholic and no one knew-- I surely did not. What plan on MWO did you use to cut down? I know when I used this site to quit-- it helped my rosacea a ton and vanity was a huge factor in my quitting. I thought my rosacea was hormonal but it was pretty much alcohol triggered.

I want you to know I appreciate your story and if you don't mind would be interested in hearing more if you are comfortable. Great job!

Comment

I see you did the CDs and read many books-- do you mind if I PM you-- you did put a lot of info in your post (I am not as dense as I must appear :-) )-- I have been sober since August but as we all know it is a journey and I feel I benefit from as many of these stories as I can digest!

Comment

Hi Farfalla!
          Thanks so much for sharing your story! Glad to hear you are successfully modding. That is wonderful news about your tests. I checked last week to see if you were still posting! I remain AF (since end of Feb 2012) and nicotine free for the last month  (The nicotine withdrawal really kicked my ass – I was damning the Marlboro Man straight to hell!!!! – remember that good-looking cowboy on the horse?)

It is quite amazing what these chemicals/poisons do to our bodies. I am now off the blood pressure medication & cholesterol dropped to 148 so am scaling back to go off the statin drug next check-up….who would have known???!!!

Big thanks to you too for conversing with me in my early days of giving up the AL. I can’t tell you how much that meant to me.
          "Leap and the net will appear." - John Burroughs

Comment

Thank you for your kind words, Shue Addict (I, too, LOVE shoes, keep buying more, cannot bear to throw them out), ATLThrash - of course, PM me if you'd like! - and, I tend to speak too much rather than too little, so of course, will be happy to elaborate more on my sad little tale - and Westies, thanks, too, for your kind words! My blood pressure has gone DOWN, but my cholesterol has gone UP. I figure maybe it was because I "treated" myself with Nutter Butters and Reese's Peanut Butter cups in lieu of gin and wine. Your words make me happy that I persevered enough to post. Thanks.
            . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Hi ATL, I received a PM from you, sent you a LONG answer...and it won't go through to you, says you are not receiving pms! But, maybe it's my incompetence, writing such LONG messages...anyway, I have saved the text, and sometime tomorrow will try to figure out how to post it here, or email it to you, if you'd like that. Thank you for your interest...it makes me happy that maybe my learning experiences may be of use to others!

Comment

Farfalla-- I am sorry-- that was very inconsiderate of me and not like me at all and I apologize thank you for taking all the time to write that message and I am interested-- but I disabled my PMs and in my haste to do so forgot about my having asked you a question and I pretty much am limiting my participation on the site due to an unfortunate incident on a thread in general discussion and a series of unsolicited nasty PMs I was sent by another member. If you do not mind sharing your details in public I would be interested but I do not feel safe participating very much more. I hope you understand. And again-- thanks for the time.

Comment

Hi again, everyone - just wanted to add that yesterday I went for a follow-up abdominal ultrasound, and this morning the doctor's office nurse called to tell me that everything is perfectly normal...thank goodness! So, my moderation efforts continue to pay off. And, it DOES continue to be a struggle, as I have not TOTALLY conquered my mistaken ideas yet...but I am hopeful that eventually I can leave it all behind. Thanks again to the "angels" at MWO for the constant help & encouragement. F

Comment

HUH? Whose body still "needs" AL??? That is franky ridiculous!
                    "One day at a time."

Comment

Reported that last one as Spam.
                      "One day at a time."

Comment

FarfallaP,
                        Im not one to offer advice, but here goes anyway. Re-read Jason Vales book, and RUN as fast as you can from Alcohol. I realize that a very small handful pride themselves into believing they can now be a "normal" drinker. But now that you got your liver back, you may not get a 2nd chance. Its your life, and I apologize if my comments seem too opinionated. Its just that the stories that this forum alone have been heartfelt poured out by those caught up in the deception of alcohol, is just too overwhelming to ignore.
                        I do not know how old you are, but hopefully if young and still healthy, use this opportunity to escape for good.
                        I agree with threedognight.

Love and peace to you, Bikesurfer

Comment

Hi Bikesurfer,

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and good advice. I like Jason Vale's book, and I also like Alan Carr's book, too.

I feel extremely fortunate that my liver recovered so quickly, and that the ultrasound in May of this year also showed everything to be completely normal. I am also glad that this is something my doctors will monitor with these ultrasounds on a regular basis, as it gives me sort of a "report card" to be aiming for.

Last but not least, I am extremely grateful for all of the great ideas, information and support that MWO members so generously post on this website. It has been, and continues to be, a source of great inspiration.

Peace to you, too! FF

Comment

Hi again Bikesurfer,

Thanks to your suggestions, I just re-read a bit of the info on page 2 of the Tool Box, especially the bits about "Deserving a drink" posted by WorkInProgress, and it was a great bit of encouragement...just the little "golden nugget" to add to my gratitude list tonight.

Thanks. FF

Comment

Great story FF, thanks for sharing!!!
                              Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                              A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Working...
                              X