Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Pap..no joke, I wish it were

Hi all:

Had a physical in early January....blood work, cholesterol etc..great. However, my white cell count was mildly elevated. I guess I should mention that my Doc sent me to an ENT because I was convinced I was choking. the ENT viewed my nose and throat with a camera (not a pretty picture I am sure), and kept asking me if I had heartburn. I told him no several times, and guess what? I have acid reflux....tongue was swollen. He put me on Prilosec OTC, and I felt normal after a day.

My blood work came back with a slightly elevated white cell count that I attributed it to my swollen mouth parts.

Had my pap a week later. The Doctor's office called this past week and told me it was not good, that they detected an elevated white cell count, and that I have tested positive for HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) the thing that causes cervical cancer.

I have had two previous bad paps. One was treated with cryotherapy (the freeze the cells), the other with the LEEP procedure (they cut out some of the cervix with a hot wire)...nice, huh?

My question??? Have any of you had any of this stuff? I am trying not to go into a Dark Place. I have kept current with my well woman checks. I go in for a colposcopy (biopsy/pathology) in early March. I know I should not be jumping to conclusions. And, no I have not had multipal sex parters, and yes I have questioned my hubby. He has never given me a reason to question him, but I had to...several times. Poor Guy, he's probably as emotionaly spent as I.

Anyway, if anyone has been through this...I could use some moral support right now.

Love,
    Kim

Kizzie,
    I am sure it is fine. You don't have cancer you have HPV. I had HPV and they did a procedure on me where they actually removed a little bit of my cervix. That was in 1994. All my paps have been normal since then. They will probably do the same with you or may get more drastic and remove your cervix. Who knows but as long as it precancer (which is HPV) and not actual cancer I am SURE you will be fine. I am glad you have been staying on top of it so it didn't progress to the bad thing. If you want to PM me please do I am here for you. Camper :h
    Sunny days, sweeping the, clouds away. On my way, to where the air is sweeeet!!! Can you tell me how to get, how to get to......LOL

Comment

Kizzie, you wouldn't believe how many commercials there are on TV now raising awareness for HPV. It is a totally treatable virus. The commercials tell ALL women to get checked for it. I don't think it is only sexually transmitted. You could probably find out more about it if you Google it. Don't worry. Your doctor will take very good care of you. Apparently it is pretty common and a lot of women have it or have had it.

Comment

Hey Kiz, I too had/have HPV and had the cryotherapy. It went away and has never come back. I asked to get tested every year. Just be up front up with your doctor and ask a lot of questions. I know your concern as I have been there, but from my experience, and from what the other have said here I am sure you will be fine. Let us know, okay?

And if you have been having regular check-ups then you have even less to worry about. It is the people who avoid their yearly tests that get in trouble.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Well, I seem to miss out on everything, including thankfully,HPV. Sorry I can't help you, but as Accountable says, your doctor will take care of you.

It will be a worrying time for you for a while, but pussycats are renowned for overcoming their problems, specially black and white ones.
          Rags

Comment

I know exactly what your going through, I have had this whole thing off and on for about 2 years now and am sick of it, every three months having a pap et. In looking back I see where I would drink when stressed out about it, Your fine you just have to keep up with everything the Dr. says so it doesn't lead to cancer. From what I gather it is the people that do not go and have check ups that left untreated it can lead to cancer.

I am here for you.Sammys

Comment

I have had the bad pap stuff too. Had the cryo and it hasnt come back. Keep your chin up.
              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Kiz, I have HPV virus also, I had the cryo surgery in '92 and regular paps after that until 2002 then those pesky cells came back around I had a procedure called a cervical connization. I was put under and they burned out the cells. (I felt like a frozen dinner) Since then all is well. Maybe the reason your white cell count is up is because of a cold or someother infection. Listen to your doctor if you don't like what you hear, see another one & another. Until you are comfortable with and totally understand what you hear. Doctors are not totally withcoming, you do have to ask a lot of questions. All the best. Remember laughter is the best medicine

Comment

Dear KizzieCat,
                  I'm still a bit new here but please let me offer this...
                  All have given good advice. It's natural to get nervous when a test comes back positive, especially after you've been through other scares. But you might want to realize that theres been a lot of press about HPV here lately and it may be having its effect without you being aware. At this point, having a virus is exactly that.There are folks who have HIV for years and don't have AIDS. I have known more than one woman who had cervical cancer, had her cervix removed in the 70s, and no more problems....I would avoid all simple sugars, eat lots of cruciferous vegies, visualize my white cells gobbling up any foreign cells and watch a lot of comedies... have you ever read Dr Bernie Siegal?? If not now might be the time! Oh, and if you're up for it, aerobic exercise is great....Oxygen is a great healer too! Wishing the best for you...
                  Jenn
                  PS...love your Avatar! Is she a tuxedo kitty??
                  Jenn
                  "I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk."
                  Leonard Cohen

Comment

Thank you all! I am scared, and also feeling VERY insecure. I have been married for 10 years, and dated my hubby three years prior. I know it will be OK, but I have some emotional baggage to deal with. I honestly don't think that he has strayed...he's home all of the time, and I know he loves me....but I hate the BUT and WHAT IF, that invades my mind. How did I now test positive for this? I (we) have 2 kids!
                    Thanks for all of your support!
                    Love,
                    KIm

Comment

Hi Kiz

Try not to think about it, yes I know easy said then done. For the last 3 weeks I have had med. check ups today was the last with the pap.
                      Keep an upper chin you will be fine.

Take care
                      Debh

Comment

Life is Precious

Kiz,
                        I know exactly how you feel. I have had abnormal mammos for years and another this year....I finally said enough and had a needle biopsy.....ALL WAS Well and I am fine.....I don't know why, but sometimes we need these reminders that life is precious I guess.....keeping my fingers crossed for you....love, My

Comment

Hi Kizzy,

Just wanted you to know that I too have HPV. I had moderate displaysia of the cervix (pre cancerous cells) and had a leep about 14 years ago. I've had normal PAP's ever since.

You've caught it early.....you'll be fine.
                          :h :h :h :h

Comment

Hi Kim,
                            I don't have experience with the HPV, but think there is good advice here..it's obviously bringing up unresolved fears..(or creating them..probably same difference) Is your marriage happy and healthy? If so, remember that whatever was in the past is in the past and be ready to forgive..whether it be forgiving yourself for having suspicians or forgiving your husband for past indiscretions that may have even occured before you met (I don't know if this is possible...and I don't know what the test results prove or don't prove)..I guess what I want to say, is that something besides your cervix may need healing and that this is an opportunity for that.

My husband have a good marriage, but we have our issues...I sometimes have fears that are mine alone...even though his behavior has contributed to them (and he has never been anything close to unfaithful!) We are trying to heal those things together, and it is a process. ((big hugs to you)) and best of luck through the process!
                            Di

Comment

Working...
                            X