alcohol neuropathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alcohol neuropathy

hi. new on here, came because of a concern.
    I'm 29, been drinking heavyish (3-4) liters of beer a night for the past few years with intervals (2 weeks - few months) of sobriety. on Monday I had been drinking throughout the day, may 5,6 beers (tall boys) then at night went out to the bar. after a few beers I noticed numbness in my right leg, as if it had fallen asleep. when I left the bar I couldn't walk straight, I was limping pretty bad, and couldn't feel my left foot, my sandal kept slipping off. I stopped drinking and haven't had anything since. the numbness and loss of mobility lasted 3 days or so. on Wednesday there was some pain in my left thigh, as if I had been running or walking too long, more so an ache rather than pain, tenseness. I have been taking B vitamins for 3 days now and of course I haven't drank anything since the onset. it's Saturday night now and there is still some tenseness in my leg but the numbness has gone and I can walk straight just fine. I am happy that the condition has all but dissipated but I am worried that it may be the onset of AN. please help. thank you.

alcohol neuropathy

I'd go and get it checked by a doctor, but I would guess it isn't alcohol neuropathy. I won't go out and say it isn't alcohol related, but I think there are plenty of other things like a pitched nerve or maybe a small circulation problem that would more likely be the cause. I drank pretty hard for 27 years and for the last three years of my drinking career I stayed loaded daily which a much higher consumption rate, and not until the last 6 months did I notice any major alcohol related health impairments....but everyone is different.

That being said stopping drinking all together is a great way to improve your health and your overall wellbeing.

Comment

alcohol neuropathy

thanks supercrew for your reply. i hope to hell this isn't nerve damage, alcohol related of otherwise. i have stopped drinking because this freaked me out, we'll see how long this lasts but i do intend for it to last. the problem is i live in japan so there's the language barrier and i don't have health insurance here so blood/neurological tests i assume would come to a hefty sum to pay out-of-pocket. but of course health costs more than money so if this doesn't improve or starts coming back i'll do what i have to. i just hope it's not neuropathy and some other less serious thing.

Comment

alcohol neuropathy

m147, I'm sorry to read you've had such a scare. Alcohol negatively affects so many systems in the body, who knows? Our health will always be better off without it.

If you need support staying stopped with the drinking, I hope you feel welcome here at My Way Out and will find some threads and people to connect with.

Good luck to you!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

alcohol neuropathy

m147;1366036 wrote: hi. new on here, came because of a concern.
          I'm 29, been drinking heavyish (3-4) liters of beer a night for the past few years with intervals (2 weeks - few months) of sobriety. on Monday I had been drinking throughout the day, may 5,6 beers (tall boys) then at night went out to the bar. after a few beers I noticed numbness in my right leg, as if it had fallen asleep. when I left the bar I couldn't walk straight, I was limping pretty bad, and couldn't feel my left foot, my sandal kept slipping off. I stopped drinking and haven't had anything since. the numbness and loss of mobility lasted 3 days or so. on Wednesday there was some pain in my left thigh, as if I had been running or walking too long, more so an ache rather than pain, tenseness. I have been taking B vitamins for 3 days now and of course I haven't drank anything since the onset. it's Saturday night now and there is still some tenseness in my leg but the numbness has gone and I can walk straight just fine. I am happy that the condition has all but dissipated but I am worried that it may be the onset of AN. please help. thank you.
          Its wonderful decision ! Keep its up !
          Every drawbacks has an equal opportunity.
          Your numbness made you think of sobriety .So I advise be gratitude and salute for that moment .
          Dix
          A learned habit surely be unlearned !!

2012: Continuous AF for 7 months from May to Oct.

Big Relapses : 6th November and 12th December 2012.

2013 : So many ups and down !!

2014: Has a conviction to stay with a healthy life.

Comment

alcohol neuropathy

Hi Hun,
            It could be a million things. You should however get it checked! Even tho its better. If it happens again you need to go to the emergency room invade its a clot.

Comment

Working...
            X