SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

The My Way Out book recommends a low carb diet when one is quitting alcohol. I did that, and it worked. Not only did I end up eventually off the sauce, but lost over 50 pounds in the process.

I took my AF / SF life for granted.

I fell off the sugar free wagon.

I've been STRUGGLING mightily to get back on.

Now my fasting BG is over 100 if I eat sugar.

THIS.MUST.STOP!

Is anyone with me on working for a sugar free life one day at a time?

I am determined to make today a SF day.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

I'm in! Eeeeeeeha doggie Doggygirl! I fell off the clean eating wagon in mid June and have now even started to slack in the exercise department as well. Not good.

I feel very secure in my sobriety....but was that really ME who stopped by the store last week and bought three doughnuts? I haven't done that kind of binge eating in 30 years. Yikes!!!!!!!

I know addiction when I see it. And it is time to take action. sugar sucks.

And I don't need it in my life in any form.

Animal Studies Show Sugar Can Be Addictive
    Sober for the Revolution!
    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

i'm so in there with you, Ladies!!
      i know i'm a sugar addict and i feel so much better when i don't have it in my life!
      i'm off to a 10 day meditation retreat on wed. where we're given one vegan meal a day. that should pretty much get me going on the right track. i will start tomorrow with low sugar--i also feel better on low carbs. the last time i was successful with simply cutting out bread and pasta-- substituting them with whole grains.

this will be fun! let's share ideas and great recipes!
      Life

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

Ohhhhhhhhhh how I wish I could quit the sugar.......I think its harder to kick than AL. I shall be following this thread with bated breath......not bad breath......bated

I dropped 20 pounds when I quit drinking, would really like to drop about 5/10 more....I blame sugar
        Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

I consumed mucho sugar when I first quit drinking.
          It kind of got on my nerves so I took L-Glutamine for a while which helped

The only sugar I have around these days is my bag of dark chocolate M&Ms & I dare anyone to try to take them away from me :H
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

I know you can google Thirty sugar free days, and you get a day-by-day guide that helps you. I saved those daily emails, but never did the program. It sure seems ery similar to withdrawal from AL. I had no desire to eat sugar--or too much of anything, for that matter--when I was drinking. Only gained a few lbs when I stopped--every time! Need to get on track myself.
            "One day at a time."

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

I fortunately very rarely have refined sugar but get quite a lot of the natural stuff from whole fruit and coconut water as well as the lactose from a bit of dairy. Is the recommended gram limit for healthy people the same no matter the source? I actually have no idea what that limit even is. A good thread for health, we might as well treat our whole selves kindly. Love, Ladybird.
              may we be well

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

oh DG, I so wish I could join you. I'm just not at the point even tho my fasting BG is 93 and my A1C is 5.7. My klondike bars are my security blanket these days and I look forward to them as much as I did my glass(es) of wine back in the day. I'm hoping the Welbutrin will help curb some of the carb cravings I have during the day and the sugar cravings at nite. I know I should cut out the stuff completely-mind knows it, body won't listen right now. Plus, on a limited budget, carbs are cheapest in the short run. In the long run we pay dearly. I'll follow this thread and maybe I'll get inspired. Sigh.
                New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

SUGAR FREE, DANGIT!

There is no such thing as an RDA for added sugars in the diet. Sugar is not essential to maintain health. That much I knew but here's the rest:

How many grams of sugar should a person have each day in relation to calorie intake
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I just came across this old thread.

It's interesting that MWO recommends a low carb (hopefully no sugar :wink diet. I didn't read the book so didn't know that. There is so much evidence that getting off alcohol is facilitated by keeping blood sugars stable via diet -- I'd encourage anyone who is struggling to consider adding in this dietary strategy (rather than eating sugar as a substitute). It can improve your health on its own with the added HUGE benefit of making it easier to quit drinking.

Comment

i am so with you on this doggygirl.
                      i was doing great too, and now headed south.
                      for me it isn't that i overdo it like a complete lunatic, i just do it.
                      then a little again a few days later, and again.....

i want to stop it too, ugh!

back to day 1, i ate 2 cookies in the night. okay, no big deal right? it is a big deal as i had three cookies in the night 3 nights ago. and a week earlier i ate a frozen brownie = she is unstoppable at night...
                      i have to be better prepared. i will look for a sugar free treat so if i do wake up and feel hungry i have something SF to snack on.
                      by the way, we had pasta for dinner (which i hardly ever do anymore) and i woke up 3 hours after I slept starving.
                      if i do not have pasta this doesn't happen, strange but true.
                      also, i had headache for 3 days after eating a bag of chips. i am pretty sure there is a link as I have not had those headaches for a while.
                      so.

DAY 1, here we are again.
                      Originally posted by Doggygirl View Post
                      The My Way Out book recommends a low carb diet when one is quitting alcohol. I did that, and it worked. Not only did I end up eventually off the sauce, but lost over 50 pounds in the process.

I took my AF / SF life for granted.

I fell off the sugar free wagon.

I've been STRUGGLING mightily to get back on.

Now my fasting BG is over 100 if I eat sugar.

THIS.MUST.STOP!

Is anyone with me on working for a sugar free life one day at a time?

I am determined to make today a SF day.

DG
                      Last edited by Eloise; April 17, 2015, 04:07 AM.
                      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

?? anybody have some sugar free cookie recipes that are kid friendly??

i think i have to stop baking all these cookies, but need snack for the kids.

i do not want to use sugar substitutes either... natural is okay, but no splenda etc.

Ideas?

Comment

what about making a recipe and just eliminating the sugar?
                          or is that too simple?

example: peanut butter cookies w/out sugar? or does the sugar as a medium/glue to stick it all together?
                          like linseed oil does in paint?

Comment

Working...
                          X