Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drinking, A Love Story

written by Caroline Knapp
    For all you highly functioning alcoholic women like me.....I totally relate to her story!!
    I just won't anymore

Drinking, A Love Story

I enjoyed reading this also, Jenniech. I think this one's been posted in here somewhere.

"I like people too much or not at all."
    Sylvia Plath

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

I really enjoyed this book...she was a good writer, imo. I also enjoyed the memoir written by her good buddy, after her death from lung cancer, about five years later. I'll look it up & post it in a moment. FF
      . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

"Let's Take the Long Way Home," by Gail Caldwell. This was also well written, and presented a view of Carolyn Knapp from a slightly different perspective.

On another note, LG, today I finally finished the Hunger Games...I also think Suzanne Collins is a clever writer.

I was intrigued to note that Haymitch, the apparently totally hopeless "drunk" at the beginning, actually proved to be useful as the tale progressed...and that Katniss considers how hopeless his task of grooming tributes from District 12 for certain death must have been, as if that might have had an impact on his drunkenness.

Which, of course, reminded me of Lance Dodes and "the Heart of Addiction" ... another good book, IMO. FF
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

Drinking, A Love Story, was a turnaround book for me....for a good while anyway.

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

highly recommend.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

Very good book. I could relate to many parts of it.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

Just finished this - one of the best al books I've read so far. Could sooo relate!
                Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

Thanks for the recommendation Jane - Just downloaded Dry and will start it tonight!
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

jenniec, thanks for the recommendation. I have heard about this book for years, and am finally putting it at the top of my "to read" list. Jane - Dry was excellent. The review on Amazon called it "darkly funny." I couldn't agree more. So profound, yet at times I actually laughed. Maybe he just hit too close to home.
                    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

I loved this book ! The author died to young of anorexia, but she died sober.
                      Meow-Meow
                      MonaKitty

Comment

Drinking, A Love Story

Just finished reading this about a week ago. Some great stuff in here. The author struggled with many addictions, including eating disorders, but I believe she actually died from lung cancer. Either way, she battled hard to beat a lot of things, and she died way too young.
                        Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

Comment

Working...
                        X