L-Glutamine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L-Glutamine

Maybe someone can help me out with advice.

When I went to my local health food shop last week, I explained to her that I'm on a "health kick" and incidentally also wanting to reduce alcohol intake (cough-cough). The woman I spoke to was opposed to L-Glutamine, as she said it really was just used by body builders... so I'm thinking, to help them bulk up? My 5'3" frame doesn't want to bulk up! :H So are there two types of this product, or am I mincing the supp names?

Thanks!

Doo
    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

L-Glutamine

Doo, grrrrrr. Ignorant people like that lady irritate me. There goes my positive attitude!! My trainer of all people tried to tell me that we need nothing more than a multivitamin a day. I totally disagree, esp., in light of the fact we have been heavy drinkers. The l-glut will NOT bulk you up, just as lifting weights as a woman will not bulk you up. That is a common misconception. I have been doing high intensity weight training for two years now (lifting really, really heavy weights at a very slow pace) and I have lost 30 pounds, changed my shape but not bulked up. L-glut is helpful if you are an exerciser but will not bulk you up. I am no expert but I can guarantee you that.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

L-Glutamine

Lush is 100% on the mark - you WILL NOT bulk up taking it (especially as an endurance athlete).
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

L-Glutamine

I'm no expert on the matter, but to my knowledge L-glutamine does not make you "bulk up". It is used by body builders to replenish glutamine lost during extreme workouts and thereby allowing them to more easily bulk up. It is used by endurance athletes to help with recovery and muscle break down. Supplementing L-glutamine helps to maintain a healthy immune system since extreme exercise sometimes causes it to suffer. I would say it is more to keep muscles from deteriorating, not for building muscles. Again though, I am no expert. I have been supplementing L-glut for quite some time now, and I couldn't produce a bulk muscle if you paid me.
        :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

L-Glutamine

One hates to think that those bastions of knowlege selling nutrients in the health food store could ever be wrong - on the other hand isn't it nice to know we have more information than they perhaps?

Glutamine is an amino acid with many benefits - one is indeed to help build lean muscle and aid workout recovery - This has the benefit of increasing the proportion of lean muscle mass/fat ration in the body - helping you to loose weight or maintain a desired weight. You will not "bulk up" unless you are doing the "bulk up" work out routines (One would assume you are not?)
          Glutamine works in a number of ways to reduce alcohol cravings - one of the most apparent ways is that it is able to pass through the blood brain barrier (many nutrients cannot). In doing so it provide an immediate reduction in sugar and alcohol cravings - these two are closely related -And siince it is an amino acid - it does not give the sugar or alcohol rush and crash.

I have taken Glutamine for years and I am a runner and climber - 5'5" 115 lbs. There may be no point in trying to educate your store clerk but - YOu need not worry about bulking up and taken with the rest of the program you will find it helps cravings.

Keep up the good work!!
          Rivergirl

Comment

L-Glutamine

Lush, Athlete and MDB... thank you! These are exactly the answers I needed.

Doo

Comment

L-Glutamine

And thanks Rivergirl! That's interesting what you have said about the alcohol/sugar relationship. When I was alcohol-free for 6 weeks, about 18 months ago, I noticed a huge increase in craving for sugar at about the 3 week mark, and I wasn't training at all at the time. I thought it must've been my body craving sugar that I had previously been getting from alcohol. Interesting stuff!

I'll get some L-Glut. My kitchen bench is starting to look like a health food shop in itself. :P Thanks again everyone for setting me straight.

Doo

Comment

L-Glutamine

Some of the stuff they tell you in health stores is mis-informed. They are not experts, only on what they are trying to sell.

I wish taking a pill could make you bulk up - then I wouldn't have to lift weights!

Comment

L-Glutamine

Hey again Doo, I went to the health shop, spoke to the naturopath and she said that this is BRILLIANT for cravings... I'll just run down & get my bottle... hang on, hope I am not going to get in trouble for putting the brand etc here.... Orthoplex Glutamine Complex, she suggested this one as it has zinc & vit b in it as well. Very very good brand Bio Concepts :: Home :: Innovative Nutritional Solutions hope this helps!
                  :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                  Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

L-Glutamine

Tahlula, you are brilliant. Thank you for thinking of me! I'm getting it! Keep me posted on how it goes for you and I'll do the same. Good luck!

Doo

Comment

L-Glutamine

Thank you BDoo

All the best

BTah x
                      :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                      Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

L-Glutamine

Hey guys - just wanted to say that I am starting to think that L-glut is magic. Not only has it seemed to have helped me with my AF adventures, but it is also supposed to be a magician at helping with muscle recovery and work out endurance/strength. I wanted to share some additional supplement info I found on the net. I have also been taking a mega multi formula to help my body get through this detox period. I found this info very helpful.

Doo Doo - I know that you run also so I didn't know if you would find this useful. Good Luck on your continued success. You're doing great. I am pasting a link to the site below. Check it out. At the bottom of the article there is some recommended supplement dosing information.

Addictions Nutritional Program for Alcohol Detoxification
                        :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

L-Glutamine

MDB, thanks for posting that link. This looks really good!

I bought some LGlut last night and have started it this morning. I bought it from the same shop I mentioned at the beginning of the thread. The same woman served me and tried talking me out of it, asking me why's/what's/why's but I just changed the subject onto a different vitamin group and bought it anyway. lol

Doo

Comment

L-Glutamine

Oohh!! This gets better and better. Yet a bit more "casual browsing " on the site (how do we break this addiction, folks??) and I find out that the l-glut. that I thought was simply another in the fantastic anti -cravings arsenal also helps to build lean muscle!! That sounds so sexy!! I'm ordering some more and then its off to the gym for me.

RR

Comment

L-Glutamine

I have been taking l- glutamine for years it relieves my carpal tunnel, along with b-6.
                              So when I went af I didn't get any really bad sugar cravings guess I now know why.
                              AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                              Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Working...
                              X