Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 Days AF Monthly Moderation

Welcome to our monthly moderation site,

This site was designed for people who may consider moderation but also has very good information for those who want to abstain completely from alcohol. Just disregard the parts that discuss moderation and focus on abstinence only if that is your goal.

Moderation for drinking can be successful for people who are not dependent on alcohol but who have found that alcohol is starting to create difficulties in their lives and they want to decrease their drinking and/or taper down to a safe, moderate level.

If you have perused various recovery sites, you will probably find the common statement that 30 days of abstinence is recommended before you attempt to moderate your drinking.

The rationale is explained this way. Every time you drink alcohol your body begins to build tolerance. The frequency with which you drink, the amount you drink, the age at which you began drinking and your family history, all affect how fast your tolerance will grow. When you build up a higher tolerance it becomes difficult for your body to gauge what is normal and you may end up consuming too much. Most people who discover that they are drinking too much and try to moderate their use without lowering their tolerance do not find much success. If you are able to give yourself a break from alcohol for 30 days, you will also probably discover that you sleep better, feel better, and you will become more aware of what other activities (other than drinking) that you enjoy when you are not focused on that drink in your hand. So, if you have found our monthly moderation site with the goal in mind that you would like to be consider being a controlled drinker, we recommend you try to abstain from alcohol for 30 days. This is not
    a requirement but a suggestion. We are also very supportive on the moderation site so you can be comfortable in the fact that you will not be judged if you have trouble complying with this request, or want to discuss the struggles with abstaining or any slips while trying to abstain for 30 days. We are here for you! :h
    Before we begin day 1, let’s look at a few things that may help jumpstart the decision to give 30 days abstinence a try:

• Evaluate the upside and downside of continued use. Make a list of the reasons you might want to continue use and why you want to quit. Weigh both sides.
    • Avoid the people, places, and things; that may trigger your use. If you find yourself in a risky environment, be prepared to respond assertively, don’t make excuses, and be willing to leave immediately if necessary.
    • Make a commitment to quitting. Make your decision public with people who will support and respect you.
    • Decide whether you are ready to sacrifice immediate gratification for more long term benefits.
    • Have confidence that you can deal effectively with the situations you face and that you can accomplish the goals you pursue.

*See* you tomorrow - Day 1!
    :l
    Eve11

Addendum: This thread has run for 30 days but we want to keep responding to it as there's lots of good advice to share with newbies. Please feel free to respond to whatever day you are at in your AF timeframe and let us know how you are feeling. We would love to hear if anything that was written resonated with you and if so, why or how. Remember: We are each an angel with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing each other.
    ~Anonymous
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

I'm in Eve. Have been unsuccessful in 30 days so far (26 tops). Yes, makes perfect sense about the tolerance. I need to give my body a good break before even considering further course of action (you'd think I'd have that in my head by now!).

I don't find it a problem saying no when I'm out funnily enough. Home is my trigger (too much time alone sometimes). I definitely need to learn to sacrifice immediate gratification for longer term benefits. That's it for me, in a nutshell. Think I'll make that list too.

Thanks for the thread
    You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Freefly,
      Home is my trigger too as it used to be so hard to say no to "just one more glass" when the wine bottle was open. Congrats on 26 days and hang in here with us on our AF thread. I'll be posting lots of tips for success and words of encouragement!
      Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Eve, but just to clarify in case of any misunderstanding... my maximum AF stretch is 26 days but I'm actually on day 2! Lots of other stints but that's the long and the short of it as it were. Pretty tired of the cycle. Happy to be here for yet another go

Comment

Great thread, Eve. Thanks for starting it, you know I feel that the 30 day af stretch is a great way to consider drinking in your life, and develop the non-drinking strategies that one needs to drink moderately.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Home was my "safe" place to drink, too, FF ... And where I did the most damage to myself!

The biggest change in my life has been the decision to simply NOT drink at home anymore. (Unless we are having a party, which we seldom do as we are very lazy.)

I credit the MWO hypnosis CDs for this accomplishment...I used them exactly as prescribed, for months, until one fine day I no longer went to the liquor store.

I also made myself eat an apple and drink a large glass of decaf iced tea EVERY day at 4pm.

And, now we eat dinner every day at the unfashionably early hour of 5 pm, so the "cocktail hour/dinner hour" is OVER by 6 pm. Once the dinner dishes are done, my naughty brain shuts up.

Another suggestion I have heard, I think from K9, is to rearrange the furniture so as to help in changing your routine.

Anyway, these are just the strategies which helped me with this part of my plan...changing my thinking has been the MOST important!

thanks, Eve, for starting this thread. Happy Tuesday, everybody! FFP
            . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Good job, Eve! You know, I've never had the reasons spelled out quite like that for a 30-day abstinence. It sure does make a lot of sense! I knew that it worked, but I wasn't completely sure why. Well said!

I may go for another 30 days AF in January.

LG

"I like people too much or not at all."
              Sylvia Plath

Comment

Thanks, Eve:

I like you fair and balanced view and well said.
                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

FF, I hope I did not sound condescending...I really admire your having strung together 26 AF days, as that's far more than I have, and I am aware that that means you have conquered different challenges than I have, that's for sure! Good luck to us all in this quest for freedom....FFP
                  . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Hi FFP and thanks for the reply. I don't find it condescending at all, in fact quite the opposite. I know it seems like it's stating the obvious but your reply has made a little dent in my brain. Make a commitment to not drink at home. I've done it quite easily elsewhere so now to the big one, for me at least. I literally felt the window of possibility open up as I read your post. It's not saying 'never again' - my brain struggles with that, but just puts another part of the plan in place. I feel a bit of a pratt as I write this as it is so very obvious but my brain needs a covert operation. I wish I could be like the ones who just give it their all and pack it in but I'm not. I'm learning not to beat myself up and I'm happy with the situations where it's not a problem anymore. I don't even have to think about it.

You've reminded me of the CD's which I have but have not taken the time to listen to enough. I did at first and they helped, then I fell off the wagon and forgot all about them. Will add them to the armoury again. I know I can conquer this (well a part of me does) - I just seem to be taking an unusual amount of time to get there. I'm extremely grateful for the patience of the kindly folk around MWO. When the 'loser' thoughts come in I try to dismiss them now. Also in with the eating early thing - all my AF times have that in place. I would so love to post 30 days. Why it is taking me an eternity I really don't know. Thanks for listening :l:l

Comment

Great thread, Eve. :thumbs::thumbs:

I totally agree that 30 days AF is a great goal if you're starting out, or really regardless of where you are with your effort to take control of alcohol.

I, too am a big fan of the hypnotherapy cd's. At the same time, the one that came with my 6 week "extreme starter kit" was sufficient; I felt like I wasted significant money buying additional ones, as two of the three that came in the (I think $140) package I purchased within a week of getting my starter kit were almost verbatim duplicates of the original one.

The vitamins and herbal supplements (combined with Hypnotherapy and an Rx for Naltrexone) were critical for me to get through the first days, and helped me make my initial run at going AF stretch to over 100 days. As many of my friends from the mod boards know, I always planned to mod (or at least give it a try) and went off the wagon having a glass of wine with my wife two weeks ago. I had a couple more drinks while vending at an industry conference a little over a week ago, but today marks one week since my last drink.

If you want to check around the forums, you might want to take a look at the other moderation areas as well. I particularly like the threads each month (this one is the October Moderation thread, next will be November, etc.) within the Long Term Moderation area. I landed there (the long term mod area) after not feeling comfortable with some of the posts directed at me in the Newbies Nest. That being said, the NN has helped many, many people and the posters there are well intentioned. It just wasn't a good fit for me. I want to be clear by stating I'm not advocating moderation over abstinence, that's a personal decision we each must make. And 30 days AF gives you a great base to make that decision with a clear head and alcohol free system.

Good luck to all.
                      D
                      Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                      When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Hi Friends,
                        Be sure to check out the tool box thread under monthly abstinence for many more ideas you can use for increasing your af days.

FYI, I drank moderately pretty successfully for three years before deciding I would rather be af, then it took me a couple more years to quit for good, which wasn't all that long ago. Unlike so many af people on this site, I really understand and support the role that moderate drinking can play in our lives. If you know that you aren't ready to quit for good, then learning strategies to just cut back can make all the sense in the world. Please do take the time to complete the survey on Eve's "Can You Moderate?" thread, under Long Term Moderation. Take those results to heart. It is certainly true that many people cannot drink moderately, perhaps because they have abused alcohol, too much for too long.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

FreeFly;1402318 wrote: Why it is taking me an eternity I really don't know. Thanks for listening :l:l
                          FFly,
                          Baby steps as they say. Also, with any setback you learn from it. So, the question would be what was the trigger on day 27 that made you drink? Sometimes when we figure those triggers out it helps prevent repeating the pattern. Now you have become the person who will help the next discouraged person who relapses at that point in time :h that's all!

Eve11

Comment

What a positive way to view what sometimes seems like an error, Eve...how it can help someone else.

I think the reason that this is such a long ( possibly lifelong?) quest has to do with how our brains are hard wired to help us cope with our emotions.

IMO once a part of the human brain has accepted that alcohol can be a positive thing for helping us to deal with something we feel to be difficult, retraining that part of the brain is very hard to do.

But a very necessary task, anyway! Good luck to us all....FFP

Comment

Day 1
                              “To make the changes we want, we need to let go of unhealthy but comfortable patterns that we’re stuck in, the way the trees let their colors change, and finally let go of their leaves altogether”
                              ~Marie Lindquist
                              Autumn trees image by zacher_4 on Photobucket

Today is the beginning of your decision to quit or take a break. The first month ‘s break from any substance is the most important. Taking it one day at a time is the easiest way to get there. If that seems hard, concentrate on one hour…one minute.
                              For today:
                              1. Remember the positive payoff for success
                              Feel free to add to today's list:

Eve11

Comment

Working...
                              X