hbo's addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hbo's addiction

I know there's been a previous thread on this, however, I just saw one of these "Addiction" episodes on demand. It was "TV junkie", about a pretty famous tv reporter in the 90's and how his life just bottoms out in a big way (it's on HBO this friday). His name is Rick Kirkland and he is pretty much an adrenaline junkie and does anything to get high. He loses several jobs, his house and finally his family just to use drugs. He taped a video diary of himself over the last several years and it is brutally honest. It can be hard to watch, very sad and very scary. Although I think it's imortant to watch.

I plan to watch the entire series, 14 episodes - There are episodes on everything including adolescents - which got me to think hard. I've been so involved in my own life and my own way to beat drinking to much, I've neglected the fact that I have a discontented 13 year old who is probably at prime risk. I'm afraid that so far I haven't laid a very happy solid foundation for him. It's like what has been talked about here lately - what you think about expands. I've been thinking about myself. I want to start being more positive toward my son and to be present for him from this moment on. It has been a real eye opener.

hbo's addiction

Wish I had HBO. Sounds like a good series.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

hbo's addiction

Lush, I can record you copies on VHS but travel a lot so don't know if I can get them all or not.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

hbo's addiction

Awww, D that is awfully generous of you. Hubby just found someone at his work that has it so we are going to go that route. Thanks for the offer though. Very kind of you. :l
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

hbo's addiction

Sounds like an interesting series, I will have to watch...

Comment

hbo's addiction

I'll bump up the post b/c in my post there is the link to the HBO site where they name a companion book "Addiction: Why Can't They Just Stop?" and the four-DVD set which includes the 14-part film series.
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

hbo's addiction

thanks SeaBreez, missed that for some reason.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

hbo's addiction

well, the first epeisode was better than I expected....expected a bunch of typical AA meeting talk (seems all there was available to us all for a long time) but it was very interesting witht the brain imaging etc....
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

hbo's addiction

Yeah- insightful. A little short & to the point tho. I wish they elaborated more. It was almost like a crash course on addiction.

I did like that the emphasis was on brain disease.
                  :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

hbo's addiction

and they DID mention Topiramate which was a pleasant surprise. the first doc I spoke with last week said "it's far too experimental for us to discuss at this point"....I hope he's having some humble pie right now. I Hope my new doc on Wed has seen the show at the very least.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

hbo's addiction

Addiction

I just watched HBO's "Addiction." I was so happy to see the treatment they gave of topiramate. It should help people in this program, and anyone who has difficulty getting topa should buy the dvd and take it to the dr. from now on. Good work on being ahead of the curve, RJ.

Comment

hbo's addiction

If it weren't for my Dr. I would never had known about Topa. He was the one who suggested it after I failed on Campral (2 yrs ago). After I got the script for Topa I researched it-MY WAY OUT came up and that's how I got introduced to MWO.

So my Dr. knew about Topa & alcohol(and how Topa helps with other addictive things) but never heard about MWO & after I started the program & told him about the book-he asked me about it & referred it to another patient to read. He liked the concept of having supplements, exercise as well as Topa.

Comment

hbo's addiction

I've discovered that the rest of the HBO segments are free to view using the "on demand" feature on my cable tv system. Viewed two more segments tonight and not much additional info but it was very surprising and refreshing that the director for NIAAA actually mentioned meditation as a credible part of therapy.
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

hbo's addiction

D,
                            Do you mean you can watch the rest of the series "on demand" even if you dont have HBO? I also have "on demand", but do not have HBO. Another option for those who do not have HBO but DO have an IPOD with pod-cast capabilities, is that you can download the series off of HBO's website onto your Itunes. Once its is in your Itunes, you can download to your Ipod or just watch it right on your computer or laptop. i didnt know this was an option, but my Ipod savvy friend told me about it.

Allie
                            What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

hbo's addiction

Allie, you have me stumped. I have both HBO and On demand so don't know, but what the heck....if it's downloadable that's a great idea. I'll do the same thing too if it works since Determinatrix has an iPod.
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X