When does it turn around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 10 days in... well 11 now because I can safely say I will not have a drink tonight. I have chosen to go 30 days AF and then try to moderate, socially only. I am not sure when I will be ready to bring alcohol back into the house. I was thinking today about how I can't wait for this 30 day period to be over so I can have a drink. Well that was a disappointment to me after thinking it. It's probably not the right approach and as I was thinking it I was thinking also that I am not looking at this the right way.

I want to get to that time when I don't care so much about having a drink or not having a drink. When I can take it or leave it. I realized tonight that I am not there yet. I care about not having a drink and I care about when I will have one.

What I wonder is, does it happen? Do you get to that point when you don't care about when you will have another drink? I hear often that alcoholics and problem drinkers have to battle the bottle every single day. I soooo want to be able to take it or leave it. The idea of a battle every day seems so hard to manage.
    :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

I would love to know the answer to that as well as just starting out on day one...

Congrats on 11 days! that's amazing...

Comment

good job both of you, and I'm on day 11 myself. It's a ton easier this time as I'm on Campral. I'm also mentally a lot more vigilant than ever in my life and I've even told my whole family, uncle, aunt, everyone close to me. It takes a while to break a habbit and if anyone told you this would be easy, then be sure to poke them in the eye next time you see them I know that every day will be a challenge for me for the rest of my life whether I decide to moderate or what. Nutrition is extremely important also as well as a low sugar diet...may sound silly but it helps after a week or two and it's medically proven. well, let's all stay in close touch on this journey to a better "us". gotta go. the movie "28 days" is on...haven't seen it in ages. Sure is interesting now that I'm not watching it wasted. Take care,
      D.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

mdb, I'm looking forward to reading some responses from the Senior members who've worked through this. Great post mdb and a big Congrats on Day 11 too!

Truth, I read your original post but didn't get a chance to respond, so Hi

Doo
        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

MDB
          The longest I have been AF is 2 months and the only way I did that was to tell myself I could never drink again - why would I want all the crap that went with it. I then tried to tell myself just to have 2 glasses or half a bottle which worked for a while then back to 2 bottles a night.

What I tell myself now - is that I am not missing out on anything - this is key- why would I want to drink if I am going to feel lousy in the morning,fuzzy headed . I feel much more alert and content than when I was drinking.

Moderation may be a step towards stopping but for me it can never be an option - you have to trully ask yourself - could you stop at 2 glasses of whatever - I know for a fact I would have to have 2 bottles - but thats me and everyone is different.
          I personally don't think we drink like normal people, we get more "pleasure" out of it. (many articles written about addictive biochemistry of the brain) and need to steer clear otherwise we will always be battling ourselves.

Good luck with whatever choice you make
          Love
          S

Comment

MDB, I do agree, Moderation is not for me either, there is one thing that I have realized in my very short time of being here and that is that I have a illness, disease - and I can not touch the stuff - I am an alcoholic, I don’t start first thing in the morning - but I am an alcoholic and if I had not stopped now I would be drinking a cowboy coffee in the morning in stead of a normal black with sugar variety. - but I wish you luck this is not an easy road to travel.
            Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending

Comment

MDB, I think everyone copes with this in different ways. You might end up being the kind of person who CAN take it or leave it - drink I mean! I am 33 days AF and I feel slightly stronger mentally to say NO to it. when I was day 1 or 2 AF I found it alot harder. I have found the longer i have gone without, the easier it has become. But saying that, I have not experienced a big night out yet. When i do I will moderate and just see how it goes! Its a challenge that has to be faced. The idea of having a drink now seems alien to me, i am trying to remember the taste and imagine it to be strong!

I think if you WAIT for a time when you won't care if you drink or not, it won't come. But you will get so used to asking for a soft drink, that suddenly you are aware how far youv'e come. Give it time and patience.
              All the best. B

Comment

I am 89 days AF. I had only 1 drink during this time to relieve a stressful situation I was in (I believe I was about 65 days AF). No cravings just decided to have one. After I had that 1 drink I wanted another-badly. I automatically knew that mods is not for me and refused to give into another drink. So I am continuing my AF journey and couldn't be happier. I don't want to waste energy fighting those demons in my head counting drinks, watching my drinks, watching the clock anticipating when I can have the next drink etc. Too much wasted energy.

On any typical day I have no cravings. I could take it or leave it. The only things I have to look out for are triggers-and I have a major one coming up at the end of April. Alcohol no longer occupies my mind 24/7. I can walk by the alcohol isle at the grocery w/o salivating. I can be approached by people w/o worrying if I have alcohol on my breath. I'm not scared my liver is dying. That's it-I have no more alcohol worries. I know Mods will just bring those worries back into my life-slowly.
                :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

SeaBreez - thats exactly how I feel!!

Comment

MDB, If you are taking the topa, don't forget the effect it's supposed to have on your brain chemistry. It's what I am counting on. (Maybe a senior member has more insight to offer.) I am also aiming for the 30 day af goal then mods. I am only 5 nights af but already think a lot differently about wine than I did last Tuesday. You sound like you have changed, too, since you knew you weren't going to have a drink last night.

Congratulations on number 11. Best of luck on your 30 day goal.
                    Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

Are there any people on here who have moderated for any length of time..it doesnt sound like there are so far......so is the only name of the game rally AF?????//

Souns as though once addicted there is no hope of moderating???

i ask the question to anybody who has the experience of trying to moderate and failed OR for any people who have successfully moderated say for a year or so??

maybe that just cant be done.??

i dont know as this is my first attempyt of cutting the booze with a goal of lent and 40 days ...cant help wondering where my journey will take me next..if i am honest would love to moderate..but I ahve a sneaky feeling looking at this site that rarely is successful for anyone??????/

i will leave this open for anyone to share their experiences and strategies to achieve moderating etc and i hope tand pray for guidance and support as i travel this journey

Good luck everyone in whatever your journey is...life is richer for the support I gain from you all.

regards Cassy

Comment

I haven't managed a year, but for the last 20 or so years i got drunk almost every night (other than being pregnant with my daughter) and in summer last year started drinking in the day time, alone ......

I spent half of january AF, and then started mods mid january, since then i've never drunk alone, I mostly only drink on weekends, unless a special occasion, and havent been drunk once this year .....

Not perfect but much better!!!!
                        sigpicXXX

Comment

Cassy, that's a darn good question. it's definately a safer option to remain AF by what I've seen. easier said than done for me with almost everyone I know drinking and I belong to a wine club (curiously absent for a while he he) so I don't know either. I do know one thing for sure, and that is I will never be a regular daily drinker, and I'll never be able to use alcohol for it's "effects" since that's my trap. it works too good for me. you slam down 3 glasses of booze fast and presto! you get a change in consciousness....not a good path for me. My moderation of the past has always been a huge struggle that ended in me really making myself incredibly ill. I'm in no hurry to moderate again to put it mildly and if I do it will have to be the most cautious experiment I've ever endeavored to undertake.
                          be well....ps nice work everyone!
                          D
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hiya,

I am 36 days AF, and it has really turned around for me. I do not feel like having the sensation of being drunk because for the first time in a long time I enjoy the sensation of being me - that's the turnaround point for me.

I really have reached the point where I don't care/obsess/worry...it's not an issue.

I have started some new medications recently which have lowered my stress levels considerably - that's helped me enjoy being me too of course!

Good luck - and 11 days is fantastic.

Cashy
                            xxx
                            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                            X