af day Monday 31 Dec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Monday 31 Dec

Well its 7pm here on New Years Eve and I am with my family in a well known holiday spot in the North island of NZ - and pretty disgusted by the general drunkeness that has already started on the streets outside. OK its not toooo bad yet but it just has nasty vibes. Its a hot dry day, lots of young people who have been drinking all day (and many seem stoned as well)...while the "la-di-das" are sitting around quaffing wine. I am being judgemental - I should not be like this because I was once young and very willing to get pissed on New Years Eve....

I have looked through some of the posts on this thread and there seems to be some tension lurking around - I don't quite understand - and I also don't quite get why some (not on this thread) are passive aggressive. Some of you guys have been doing MWO for yonks - so maybe you can fill me in.

I am quite amazed at Can Too's physical exertions!! Were you like this wehn you were drinking?
    Congrats to all who have made their milestones. Thats fantastic - its a struggle - but you (we) are a determined lot.

Ok - hope you all weather the New Years Eve and the myriad ways it is celebrated. Tomorrow we are doing some local exploring and then we hit the road again.

af day Monday 31 Dec

Good morning all...yep tis I...here again!!!! the bad penny has turned up again!!
    2 things to say before we start.....firstly thank you to all those that pm d me to see if there was something wrong,it was really nice of you....

Secondly, with regards to any issues on this site.....I stuck my nose into a discussion that I knew nothing about ,and probably should have stayed out of but Mr Nosey had to!Didnt think the answer as right so then it went on.....etc etc,discussed it with the author of the post and so on....I was in the wrong...what I will say without dragging all this out on a personal detail levels I have some other things going round in my life at the mo, which are pretty important and need looking at.
    I also take meds, which one of the side effects, is every now and again make you feel pretty low physically and in spirit...only happens every so often but it does,.....that combined with it just made a pretty unappealing time....so there you go...back at the consultant in Jan, so we shall see what can be done...right enough blurb...onwards and upwards

Tea and coffee on the go now..so on you go ..grab a brew

Treetops you ok....Like your image ...all the la di das quaffing wine...sounds like you are watching the set of Downton Abbey or summat !!!Hope you are enjoying your travelling time.

TDN....good morning to you..6 inches of snow aargh..at the moment we just have torrential rain!!...as for a snow blower we have something similar...me wi a shovel ! How are you?Best of luck with that job inquiry..fingers crossed for you

PPQ..Shall we put the extra one on? ok PPQP..how are you today?..remember..number 1 !
    Deep breath and take it easy..yes you are right ..sometimes we can be our own worst enemies and read things into nothing..thats from an expert!!!replied in part on pm, but you make sure you look after you first ..best of luck with the lawyers too...hopefully soon be at an end for you :l

Afternoon KY.....and how is you today?you aint mentioned the swimming pool recently ..so has the weather changed?Was speaking to my mate and his wife the other day ..they are home for New Year..the one that runs that place near you..its quite interesting really..I know him, but one of my other mates is going to be his regional boss out there!!
    Anyway what you been up to? why the no sleeping?No I aint jumping for the obvious answer!!:H

Mornin Lav...2 coffees today? seeing as you had to get your own yesterday!!! trade you for sausage and meatballs !Any plans for the New Year?
    Think I will try a wee bit of your advice

Well Nurdl...and how is you today?thanx for the kind words...and how did yesterday go for you? All aching?I certainly am after yesterday!!As far as no al goes you are doing well, as is everyone else on here, so we must be doin something right...and yes dont put yourself under the pressure, the day will come when it is the norm not to drink..when you think to yourself,actually I dont want to drink,as opposed to need , cant ,wont..its a really good feeling that..so slowly slowly

Cantoo...many moons ago, you were the diary..and look you still are!!! well done you... fancy remembering all the days! yep 180 twas for me yesterday...think the actual 6 months is something like Saturday ..decided now to put my long trousers on and stop counting days!...the main thing is...not to get complacent or too smart..6 moths is a fair amount of time but in relativity to the time I drank ..hmm..anyway..you are doin really great..jeez have to remind myself of ehn you started and how far you have come without white flag man!!!
    At the moment my daughter is home..you know how I know? the telly cosists of back to back..Corrie Eastenders Emmerdale Homeland Big Bang theory, bit o Judge Judy thrown in!!! aaargh

Catbuddy........absolutely brilll..well done on your 90 days..as for your fears....turn that lot round
    You wont have to get up and think "what the fk did I do last night"
    You wont have to get up and think I feel like crap
    You wont have to get up and think Am I sober enough to drive
    You wont have to get up and think need another drink
    You wont have to get up and think wonder if anyone will notice
    You wont have to get up and think why did I start that argument
    You wont have to get up and think oops made a real arse of myself

the list is endless

Mornin Det...you doing ok?excellent matey..13 is going to be your year..so go for it

Turn again ...lovely to see you as it always is..Chinook thats a helicopter isnt it?:H

Right peeps...wishing you all the best for a great New Year...2013 will be yours..so lets all go for the af version

thanks to all those who wished me well on the 6 month thread (tho on the official books there are 3 days to go)
    Take care this is our thread, so lets make it work for us all this coming year...and just to finish off..........

Q: What do you tell someone you didn't see at New Year's Eve? A: I haven't seen you for a year!
    Q: What happened to the Irish man who thought about the evils of drinking in the New Year? A: He gave up thinking.
    Q: What's the problem with jogging on New Years Eve? A: The ice falls out of your drinks!

On New Year's Eve, Marilyn stood up in the local pub and said that it was time to get ready. At the stroke of midnight, she wanted every husband to be standing next to the one person who made his life worth living. Well, it was kind of embarrassing. As the clock struck, the bartender was almost crushed to death.

This woman walks into a tattoo parlor and asks for a tattoo of a christmas tree on her right inner thigh and a cocktail drink on her left inner thigh. The tatoo artist say thats an unusual request. "Why do you want two tattoos there?" So she says "Because my husband needs to eat between christmas and new year."

New Years Resolutions You Have No Chance At Keeping
    When I hear a funny joke I will not reply, "LOL, LMAO, or ROTFLMAO!"

Start using Facebook for something other than Farmville and stupid quizzes

I will try to figure out why I "really" need 5 facebook accounts.

I resolve to work with neglected children... my own.

Lose 20 pounds by going to the gym!

I will stop using, "So, what's your URL?" as a pickup line.

I will spend less than five hour a day on the Internet.

I will read the manual... just as soon as I can find it.

Spend less than $1000 for coffee at Starbucks this year.

Lose weight by inventing an anti-gravity machine

Stop repeating myself again, and again, and again.

I will stop tagging pictures of myself in pictures even when I?m not in them

I will think of a password other than "password"

And for those that dont know it..here you are the full hit!!!

Auld Lang Syne Lyrics by Robert Burns (1788)

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And never brought to mind?
    Should auld acquaintance be forgot
    And auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
    For auld lang syne,
    We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
    For auld lang syne!

We twa hae run about the braes,
    And pu'd the gowans fine,
    But we've wander'd mony a weary fit
    Sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl't in the burn
    Frae morning sun till dine
    But seas between us braid hae roar'd
    Sin auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere,
    And gie's a hand o' thine,
    And we'll tak a right guid willie-waught
    For auld lang syne!

And surely ye'll be your pint' stowp,
    And surely I'll be mine,
    And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
    For auld lang syne!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL :l
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Good morning, TT and Mik.

TT, sounds like the drinking starts early and goes late, huh? It's a good feeling not to be a part of that. I can remember some nasty hangovers on New Years Day, and never want that ever again.

Mick, so glad you are back! We would be in a bad spot without you! Hope your mood gets better--so many of us, including me, seem to be struggling. But we aren't drinking!

Very worried now about our 15 1/2 yr old dog. He is very confused and having a lot of trouble getting around. He was more restless than usual last night and this a.m. has gone out twice and comes in panting. Just had to go out and get him up, as he was laying in the snow. And our vet is closed for two days. I have given him a Melatonin and hope he an relax for a bit.

Will check in later.
      "One day at a time."

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

:hallo: Checkin in to say Happy Hogmanay / Hugma'nanny / Hog-money and that you all have a spiffing hootenanny, even if that's hitting the hay at 9pm to get a good nights sleep and wake up bright and boisterous on the first morn of the new year.

I'm heading up norf, to where I've spent the last few hogmanay's... all of which have been beer and whisky soaked occasions, loud and drunken. I am anxious and nervous, but want to go through it. Will let youse know next year.

Mick - lovely to see ya - TDN and TT :hiya: and *big waves* to all to come.

Actually.... TT and Kuya... it be 2013 already for youse?? Must've just gone midnight in Kiwiland...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

a spiffing hootenanny,,,Rabsy..you sound like Jools Holland...you will be fine mate...just an idea..why not get a cupla af beers just in case if you think you are going to struggle???

TDN...hope your dog is ok fingers xd for you
          af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Good morning Abbers,

Nearly 8:30 am here. Wishing a very Happy & Healthy New Year to Kuya, TT & everyone already in 2013

TT, I remember (painfully) having to work New Years day after an evening out partying. Let me just say handling bedpans with a hangover is a freaking nightmare :H

Mick, I don't claim to know what happened or what's going on with you but I certainly am happy to see you here now
            I've been hanging around MWO for nearly 4 years & am still amazed at the audacity of some to post while (obviously) drinking! I have received my fair share of insults & nastygrams from those who have been unable to string together a few AF days. My message to them is always the same...........
            You have to be willing to make changes to see some results. It's their choice to remain stuck in AL hell, not mine.
            I hope you are well & ready for a fantastic AF 2013

TDN, sorry to hear about your elderly dog. I'm beginning to see some changes starting in my piggy swissy too. All we can do is give them support & comfort as we would any family member we love:l

RC, now you behave yourself young man or I will send Stella after you :H

OK, off to Curves to work off those Christmas cookies!
            Have a great AF Monday everyone!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Mick;1435221 wrote: a spiffing hootenanny,,,Rabsy..you sound like Jools Holland...you will be fine mate...just an idea..why not get a cupla af beers just in case if you think you are going to struggle???

:H Had to read that twice... thought it said "get a cupla of beers"

I wis a bit like, ooooooooooohhhh mick jist suggested i drink, oooooooohhh..

But, no. I'm blind. It says A
              f beers

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

HAPPY NEW YEAR AFFERS!

Just home from an awesome party...... Had a great time, danced, sang, ate, watched the fireworks and had a blast. At one point a guy asked me if I was getting a taxi home......he assumed I was drinking!

Now I am home in bed, high on the fun, looking forward to a good long lie in and pleased as punch with myself. AND today is my four months sober.....what a day!

RC .... Don't sweat it for tonight, be yourself and have a good time.....only you know you are sober unless you make it a problem

TT ..... I. Don't go to public arenas for these celebrations cos drunkeness in crowds has always freaked me out. Hope your night was fun and safe. As to the tension you sense, I think it is just like any public forum and has nothing to do with booze really. The longer I am sober the less it bothers me TBH.

OMG......as I was typing I decided to have one of the chocolates I was given tonight as a gift....I bit into it and, feck me it was a liqueur !!!!!, just had to spit the bloody thing out into my hand and run to the bathroom to wash out my mouth. THAT was NOT nice. What amazes me is how disgusting it tasted.

Anyhow ..... Hello Mick, good to see ya matey. Had a swim saturday but was cold yesterday and windy today. The summers here are so up and down ..... Always warm but not reliably hot.

TDN .... What's wrong with your dog? You're not having much luck ATM. Can you not take him to an emergency centre?

Lav ..... To keep on helping here the way you do makes you a bloody saint! Honestly sometimes I don't know how you do it....... But then I have been known to be a little forthright so I won't be applying for your job just yet :H:H

So have a safe and happy new year all of youse.....luvs ya

KY

P.s. my mouth is still stinging from that fecking liqueur ! I've just looked at the wrapper and it was Cointreau

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Hi Molly.... Good to see ya......achully I lurk your thread so I 'sees ya' all the time :H:H

I don't dare post there cos I would NEVER be off this forum...... You lot can gab...... But I keep up with you by reading while you all sleep :H

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

mollyka;1435314 wrote: I 'lurk' everywhere (well, except the 'meds' threads - life's too short!) Glad you had such a lovely night xx
                    Me too...... Nosey git, even the meds sometimes

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

HAPPY NEW YEAR KY & TT and anyone else already in 2013!

Had a very interesting AA meeting yesterday centered around dealing with anger and resentment. It has given me a lot to think about.

Popping in to stay accountable...will post more later.

:hallo: Mick, Lav, RC and Molly....PPQP

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Happy New Year Abs Fab daily folks!

This will be my second NYs eve with a clear eye and a steady hand. I drank immoderately for about 10 years or more, then moderately, and now not at all. I realized even so called moderate drinking was not for me. And looking back it wasnt always moderate, even though I told myself it was. I am very glad to have been part of this thread from spring of 2011 to about this fall of 2012. The advice and friendship was so important, but mostly having others like me to talk to me about a problem I really needed to solve, in a language I could not communicate to anyone else in my life. It was immeasurably helpful and important.

I am wishing you all a HUGELY successful new year, with lots of good food, friendship, time outside or in the gym, what ever you fancy for exercise, but most of all peace. PEACE at last.

k
                        Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Kas......wishing you and yours all the best for 2013

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

"A powerful healing tool can be allowing yourself to be witnessed
                            by your friends,
                            sharing your pain to a listening audience".

When we allow ourselves to be witnessed by another, we cannot help but be transformed by the experience. Whether we are sharing a personal experience, standing in front of friends to celebrate a special occasion, or expressing our unbridled joy or sorrow in front of a loved one, we are allowing ourselves to be seen and experienced in a very intimate way. Not only are we baring ourselves to someone else, but we are allowing that person to hold a very specific kind of space with us so this powerful act can take place. To be witnessed is to let ourselves be seen as we truly are in that moment.

Just sayin
                            AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

af day Monday 31 Dec

Hi all, sorry I missed yesterday - girls and I went to the City by the Bay - it was a gorgeous day, the views were beautiful, lots of happy tourists - we had fun, icecream, long walk, little shopping, some crazy touristy stuff and a lovely seafood dinner - twas really good - would have been better however if I was not the poster child for insanity. I had a stupid let down, triggered by the ex again, and woke for our day out with a red wine hangover....damn it!!! I examined it carefully and with a lot of thought and managed to totally realise how very little enjoyment I got from it and how much enjoyment I missed because of it. I will have a great 2013, I need a good year, I am due for a good year and I know the only way that will happen is if I kick wine to the moon!
                              PPQP - so with you on the ex's - wish I could close that chapter, but like a bad penny he keeps turning up....
                              Mick, so sorry about your down feelings and hassle on other threads - you are truly appreciated here, maybe just hang here?
                              I rarely ever go outside of my comfort zone on MWO - sometimes if I am bored I "visit" a bit, but usually regret it. I also "visit" when I am struggling, but that never seems to be a good reason. The bitchiness and fighting have been so uncomfortable that I have left fro a while, but realised that only hurt me, so I stay on my subscribed threads (thats what I have the site open up to when I log in) and only venture out when I know there si something to check in on.
                              Congrats to all making milestones - Mick, Cat, KY - I know I am missing someone
                              TDN, so sorry about your dog, seems that that would be the last thing you need just now, hopefully he was just having an off day???
                              Hi to Molly and Kas - you are some of those who inspire me on here.
                              CanToo - LOVE THAT!!! Very cool post and has me pondering.
                              RC - you taking some coal with you tonight? Are you a first footer??
                              Well, Happy 2013 to those who are there in NZ and Aussie land, to the Brits who will be there in a couple of hours and then to those in the USA who have a bit longer to go.
                              I know it is taking me a long time and too many false starts, but I will get there and I appreciate each and everyone of you for putting up with me - Happy Hogmanay:l:l
                              “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                              X