maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maintenance

hello everyone! i have a question regarding maintenance.

it took me 4 months to reach my switch at 190 or 200 mgs. for the next 7 weeks, i slowly continued higher than my switch by 50 mgs. and then slowly lowered my dose to 200. i wanted to lower my dosage because i felt my cognitive skills weren't what they should be at work. starting at 200 mgs., i lowered my dosage by 25 mg. every 6 days. i've been at 75 mgs. for a week now. yesterday (for the first time in a long time), i had a strong urge to drink but didn't.

i have not had one drop for 3 months now. should i go back up to 100 mgs. and stay there? should i try a drink?

maintenance

75 mgs seems like a pretty low maintenance dose. I'm not surprised you're having cravings. I did the same thing after I hit my switch (also at 190). I dropped down to around 80 mgs and had intense cravings. I wouldn't advise you take a drink at this point, since if you're having cravings you'll probably find yourself back in a daily drinking habit in no time. I'd bump up the bac until you find the cravings go away. That dosage will depend entirely on the person. I've been at 140/day for some time.

Comment

maintenance

thanks serenity! that must be what's going on. i'll go right back to 100 mgs. and see if i get that strong urge again in the next week.

Comment

maintenance

Hey, well done for getting out of the shit.

Everyone is completely and utterly different, but generally, if a drink is now a good idea, you are too low. It's that simple. If you had reached a point where it was easy, and now it's not, more baclofen is required.

Comment

maintenance

jbkhy523;1468433 wrote: hello everyone! i have a question regarding maintenance.

it took me 4 months to reach my switch at 190 or 200 mgs. for the next 7 weeks, i slowly continued higher than my switch by 50 mgs. and then slowly lowered my dose to 200. i wanted to lower my dosage because i felt my cognitive skills weren't what they should be at work. starting at 200 mgs., i lowered my dosage by 25 mg. every 6 days. i've been at 75 mgs. for a week now. yesterday (for the first time in a long time), i had a strong urge to drink but didn't.

i have not had one drop for 3 months now. should i go back up to 100 mgs. and stay there? should i try a drink?
          I would NOT play with fire. I know what one drink can do to me and I never want to go that way again. If my cravings got real bad I'd take an Antabuse so I could not drink! I'm gonna do whatever it takes to stay AF! My maintenance doses has been 50mgs. I was gonna see how I'd feel going completely off baclofen but when I got down to 10mgs. the drinking thoughts started creeping in. Now I'm on my way back up to my comfort zone!
          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

maintenance

Hi Hippy, we cross posted...

I hear what you are saying, and perhaps there is some truth to that. I know that personally, it hasn't worked that way at all for me baclofen. A drink or two does not deteriorate into the horrible mess that was usually guaranteed; It's been close to two years now, which is still too early to draw a major line in the sand, but my wife and family are happy, so I say it works...

YMMV, but hopefully not.

Comment

maintenance

What's YMMV?

Comment

maintenance

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

thank you everyone for the replies! i am so grateful for Dr. A and his discovery, baclofen, this forum, and YOU PEOPLE!

i think it is inevitable at some point that i will try a few drinks and see if it makes me feel like i am headed back to drinking too much. i will know at that point that i can't moderate, put it down and ramp up the baclofen.

Comment

maintenance

Ne/Neva Eva;1468548 wrote: What's YMMV?
                  'Your Mileage May Vary', which in this case would mean 'your results may vary'.

These young uns and their fancy, modern forum-talk, Tsk!
                  "My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them." Jack Kerouac

Comment

Working...
                  X