Moderation possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moderation possible

I'm posting here on the advice of another member. I originally posted with the username Draper but changed to freethinker, which is actually what I am on many levels. I have a history of drinking more than I should on occasion. I included more details in one of my earlier posts.

I truly believe that I can moderate my drinking because I have done so during periods of my life. I hold booze very well and can sit around my house in the evening and easily enjoy 5 or 6 drinks and hardly show signs that I've imbibed. Maybe because I'm 6'0 tall and weigh about 190 and process it easily? Maybe 5 drinks over 3 hours time isn't very much in the eyes of many here? Anyway, because I have the misfortune of being a perfectionist, it seems like it's more than I ought to have. This drinking life can be a strange one at times. Guilt, shame, self-esteem and all of the other things that we deal with make us prone to question our true motives of why we do what we do.

Moderation is what I strive for in all things. Sometimes I miss the mark. Sometimes it's too much television, too much ice cream, too much laziness, too much chocolate, or too much booze. I've been very disciplined at times ( Marine Corps), marathoner, managing many tasks in a timely manner, etc. But, there are times when it seems like nothing will take the place of a nice drink to help one cope. As I said, this drinking life is hard to figure out. I guess it's all about escaping some sort of pain or pressure that life throws at us.

I probably don't come from the same "dark drinking place" that many here do, but, addiction is addiction, even at different levels. My ego still tells me I am in control. We will see how successful I can be at moderating. I'm very busy but will try to contribute here as time allows. This forum is a good place with noble goals.

Moderation possible

im certainly no expert on anything,but if you dont drink every day,can stop at a few,dont do dumb shit when drinking maybe you can moderate,its your decision lots of people on this site moderate,i think mwo is great cuz it gives you a chance to take a step back and see where you are at with alcohol,good luck to you
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Moderation possible

Thanks pauly. Although the patterns of embarrassment can be very similar among those of us who drink too much at times, there does seem to be varying degrees of it. We all have experiences that are unique to us. I guess that's what I was trying to say initially, which is that among, let's say, 10 people including me, moderation may only work for me.
      Who knows? I'm no expert either to be sure.

The journey ( i.e. struggle) is more intense for some than others. I've enjoyed my drinking much more than I've been debilitated by it. BUT, I have been debilitated by it at times. That's why I'm here. It's about seeking a more predictable, stable path which may lead to total abstinence. We'll see...........

Comment

Moderation possible

freethinker, I have read some of your posts, except for being six feet tall :-), it sounds like we may have a lot in common (I also am a marathoner). Yes, everyone has a night when they may have drank too much and done something foolish, it doesn't mean you're an addict.

Everyone's journey is different. For me, it seems to be more about physical and mental health. I've learned that I can be very moody, when I am in one of these "moods" I need to watch what what I put in my body - both food and drink.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Comment

Moderation possible

Stewarts;1480113 wrote: freethinker, I have read some of your posts, except for being six feet tall :-), it sounds like we may have a lot in common (I also am a marathoner). Yes, everyone has a night when they may have drank too much and done something foolish, it doesn't mean you're an addict.

Everyone's journey is different. For me, it seems to be more about physical and mental health. I've learned that I can be very moody, when I am in one of these "moods" I need to watch what what I put in my body - both food and drink.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure you'll do fine.
          Thanks Stewarts. I love your city. Hope to go back again one of these days.
          Best of luck to you as well.

Comment

Moderation possible

NYC

freethinker;1480117 wrote: Thanks Stewarts. I love your city. Hope to go back again one of these days.
            Best of luck to you as well.
            Ha, thanks, let me know when you're here....also, as I am sure you know, NYC is a very BIG Drinking City.... ;-)

While the above statement was said in some jest, there is some truth....the acceptance amongst the business community (with drugs also), the fact you don't have to drive anywhere, etc. I know many people that have fallen to might Big Apple in very bad ways...(and not necessarily drunk and AL related).

Be Well,

j.

Comment

Moderation possible

Oh for moderation

Just joined last night , I too only want to be able to have some alcohol free time. I will have wine every night, up to 3 glasses , on weekends a bottle a night is easy. I find this a problem.
              I cannot make myself have alcohol free days , so have started Antabuse this week , took 1/4 tab for two days and had no desire to test the reaction even on such a small dose. I have not taken one for Thursday Friday and am now anxious about a reaction but have had a big week and so want to chill.

Comment

Moderation possible

I agree

paulywogg;1479893 wrote: im certainly no expert on anything,but if you dont drink every day,can stop at a few,dont do dumb shit when drinking maybe you can moderate,its your decision lots of people on this site moderate,i think mwo is great cuz it gives you a chance to take a step back and see where you are at with alcohol,good luck to you
                This has been my approach now for 3 months and I drink minimally, 3-4 AF days/week, and never over 3, and I'm over 6 ft too !!

CBT therapy, hypnotism, HARM reduction and Naltrexone were hugely helpful to me, and all fairly simple.

So yes, I think Moderation is possible and so far so good !

Comment

How is the antabuse going?

j.

Comment

I am looking for mod support. its possible

Comment

It seems a lot of folks here are trying to abstain completely. I am on another forum that will be of interest to you - Moderation Management. There is a very active list serve and forum there which I highly recommend for moderation support. Some people who don't drink still participate there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JanCan View Post
                        It seems a lot of folks here are trying to abstain completely. I am on another forum that will be of interest to you - Moderation Management. There is a very active list serve and forum there which I highly recommend for moderation support. Some people who don't drink still participate there as well.
                        Is moderation management on mwo?

Comment

No, it is a different forum entirely. If you google moderationmanagement.org, you can find it. It is a diverse, active forum for people seeking to control their drinking. Some are abstaining for long periods of time, some are trying to moderate, and some decided they need to permanently abstain. But the focus of the forum is not on permanent abstinence. It is not frowned upon to talk about it there. There is an active list serve and also a forum. The list serve is always active. I recommend it for anyone looking for support in moderating their drinking.

Comment

Working...
                          X