Is a binge drink the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually start my 'non drinking' sessions with a bit of a binge, in the hope that the next day I will be so ashamed of myself that I will want to quit anyway. I don't know any other way to go about it. Any other ideas would be welcome!

No.

This is also a technique used by dieters, they have a blow out the day before starting. All it does is make any withdrawl ten times worse.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Same thing for smokers.

The day before you quit, you usually smoke like a chimney...more than you would have on an average day.

I wouldn't trust myself to have "one last binge"...I do really stupid stuff when drunk and it may be something I can't undo. Not worth it.
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Well, you have come to the right place for THAT question! I did just that for almost a year (1/31/2010-1/20/11). It was horrible. I'd have a blow out, and then try to quit, realize I couldn't...decided to moderate, ended up binging worse. I've said it many times on these boards, I never drank harder than the year I tried to moderate. In my mind, it was like I was trying to drink all I could before it was taken away and I was deprived of it. Then when I did drink, I made up for lost time. I drank out of panic. If I thought I was a heavy drinker when I first got to MWO, I hadn't seen anything yet. It was a horrific year.

The only way I've seen or experienced to get this monkey off your back is to just stop. It is a vicious cycle and just an hour of looking around on this site will bear that out over and over again. Just stop. Cold turkey.

For us, one drink only leads to another. We can't even enjoy the drink we have in hand for worrying about where the next fix will come from.

This is an opponent the likes of which I've never experienced before....more cunning and clever than any other, and it is out for your very soul! The winner of this contest takes all....so let that be you.

I think you answered your own question in the post. 'I ususally start my non drinking sessions with a bit of a binge'. This would imply that you are just having a break from drinking....maybe giving your liver a rest or some such. If you want to end this cycle, make this your last quit....make it stick! Or you can be like me...sitting here next year asking the same questions and getting the same answers. Join us over in the Newbie's Nest (link below) and get this monkey off your back for good this time. It is worth it!!! No more monkeymind and all that chatter of 'should I? shouldn't I?' It is a relief to finally be sober! There is nothing like MindPeace!

I'll look for you over there! All the best, Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks, I know I should start today and I will try to go without my 'blowout' session, but it just seems easier to go longer without drinking if I've made myself feel so bad with a huge session- the memory of how awful I feel afterwards stays with me longer and keeps reminding me why I'm quitting.
          I'll see how I go anyway. I feel pretty crap after last night anyway so hopefully it will get me through a day or two. If I can make it till wednesday that would be great as I have a hypnotherapy session booked and it may be easier after that.
          So, here's day one then.
          Again

Comment

the first week is the hardest...I promise
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

But it gets easier with time. You can do it! I graduated from college and could have easily celebrated but instead I am home enjoying a sober night. ODAAT
              I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Hi Downunder,

Good to see you here, and great question!

I always tried to taper off before Day 1. I doubt that binge drinking is a good strategy.

One way for you to look at it: Binge drinking always made me feel guilty the next day.

Another way for you to look at it: If I binge drink, I am repeating a pattern that has been proven to not work for me, and I'm setting myself up for failure

Maybe that'll help sort it out?

P.S. DriftyAlison0 ? did you *just* graduate from college? If so, congrats! If you graduated long ago, congrats! See my college/work post (not composed yet); I have many questions and need peoples' input!
                "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Working...
                X