Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scandinavian comes back from vacation, that almost ended in disaster from the start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scandinavian comes back from vacation, that almost ended in disaster from the start.

Ok so some of you may have read my post when i talk about drinking on my vacation.

I discussed back and forth whether to drink or not, and of course concluded with that drinking would be the worst but most likely option.

And so it was. I had the day prior to departure bought beers which I had for breakfast. Nothing crazy about that. But at the airport tax free store, the beers were of course warm to encourage people to drink overpriced beers in the bars. But vodka was pretty cheap, and the stores had cold coke bottles. Problem solved!

My trip involved intermediate stops in both Amsterdam and Paris, and by the time i was half way there, i was so drunk I fell asleep / passed out waiting to board the second plane. Luckily one intelligent and friendly passenger woke me just in time to get on the plane.

That could have been a big disaster with dire consequences.

Anyway, that was a bit of an eye-opener for me, and for the duration of the vacation I drank mostly beer, and some gin tonics and other "exotic" drinks. Very little unmixed alcohol. One day I bought an old relic of sorts, that probably was fake and that I probably overpaid for, but other than that, there were no major incidents.

I only worked up a real hangover two times or so, besides from the "normal" morning nausea and general slight depression and feeling of guilt.

So "vacational" drinking seems to work just fine. But here is my problem. I am a big habitual everyday drinker in the sense that I drink much every afternoon/evening.

How the cr@pp go I get myself back on the 'bus? My boss comments on that I always show up late, and my coworkers comment on that I look crazy tired and have implied that I smell of booze, even though I just drink after work.

I love sports, I love my other non drunk activities, I love being sober, but it has come to the point where I am hung over all day and only booze can cure that problem.

As you can see, my "mood" is "optimistic" because I know that as soon as I start with Antabus again everything will be fine. I just did three or four months on it with no problems.

Comment

Hi Scand!

I have to disagree that your "vacation" drinking worked "just fine". You almost missed a plane and had several hangovers...is that "fine"?

Now you are basically starting at the beginning with trying to get back on the wagon. Each time we slip it gets HARDER. You CAN do this, but it will take some determination and hard work.

When are you starting the AB?
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

So whats your plan for the next vacation? AL is bad vacation or not and you need to get around that YOU CAN NOT DRINK NOT EVEN ON VACATION!
        I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

K9Lover;1508530 wrote: Hi Scand!

I have to disagree that your "vacation" drinking worked "just fine". You almost missed a plane and had several hangovers...is that "fine"?
          ?
          Hi Scan:

Completely agree with K9 here. Nothing fine about any of it...but it got me thinking that perhaps your threshold - your mindset if you will, for what you consider Okay or fine in your life is the stumbling block you keep tripping over.

It's hard to raise the bar for ourselves but maybe you can inch it up a bit. The observations of your friends, your boss...even you yourself seem pretty far from fine IMO.

Granted I don't know any of your history, how you started where youbwent but just from reading your posts it's clear what a thoughtful funny and engaged person you are.
          That's where I'd set the bar..:l

:h
          On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
          *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Well Scan, hopefully now you get what we were saying before you went on this vacation. Once you get AL free again I hope this memory stays with you and you learn us alcoholics cannot drink even once. You know how wonderful you felt when you were AL free, let's get back there again. Can you start the AB today?
            AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Scan....not even sure where to start!
              Wasn't your fiance? on this trip with you? One of your concerns was taking AB in front of her. You mention that a stranger helped you make that second flight, was your fiance? not there? How did she react to your over indulging?

Observations:
              Normal people don't wake up with nausea. Heavy drinkers do.
              You can't take a vacation from addiction, if you could... none of us would be here...
              It takes 36 hours for the AL to leave our blood. If you are drinking every day of course you are going to smell like it....AND act like it. With some level of AL onboard all the time your performance is going to show it.
              If this is your idea of a plan working, I'd hate to hear your account of it not working!
              You obviously have a problem with AL, trying to manipulate it like you are doing is dangerous.

I wonder what the vacation would have been like without AL? You didn't mention the beautiful scenery or the food or the activities (other than drinking). It sure takes a while to 'get over' not having AL, but once you do, the world is an amazing place. Not having that constant pull of AL is freedom like no other. I hope you get there...because the only way to conquer this beast is to starve it to death. Good luck to you. Byrdie
              Last edited by Byrdlady; July 22, 2015, 04:42 PM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Don't get me wrong here, this was not a binge drinking vacation. I just drank every afternoon, and never to the point of not being able to walk. (As far as I can remember).

Anyway, now I just need to start taking Antabuse again, and Case Closed! Its as easy as that!

Like I said many times before, I was 100% AF on Antabuse from January until before my vacation, and I know that I can do it again. I just need some incentive to start.

Problem is this:
                1. I wake up hung over as a mofo, and I don't wanna take the 'bus because I need to repair in the evening and to calm my nerves which scream for alcohol
                2. I wake up feeling only slightly hung over and I don't wanna take the 'bus because its not so bad

Comment

Wow Scan, you say you are going to take the AB and it will be easy but yet you say (or imply) your drinking is not so bad but you are hungover every morning. Just because you can walk when you have been drinking doesn't mean you are ok. Drinking everyday, your boss commenting you are late to work, your coworkers saying they saying they can smell alcohol on you. These are signs things are not ok. You need to get honest with yourself. If being in recovery was easy we wouldn't need this site or AA or counseling or rehab. You have to work a program and be diligent and honest. I hope you take the AB sooner rather than later and get back to the life that you know is better than this.
                  AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Beer for breakfast is OK???? Not.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

WHAT?

???? Like Byrd I am not sure of what to even say...

Sorry to say but it sounds like a shit vacation to me. I am not fond of looking like a fool in an airport or any other place.

Frankly it sounds like you are not over your love affair with alcohol. I take antabuse, but not often. I am at a point where I take it if I start to think about drinking.

IMO-the non-drinking life has to be EMBRACED, not tolerated. Maybe you need a medical detox. Maybe you need rehab. Or maybe you need to do some soul searching to decide what you really want. If you want to drink then you have to be willing to take the consequences. By consequences I mean a bunch of stupid awful nonsense

Comment

Ok... I have a problem and I do not have control of my alcohol abuse.

I need to start Antabuse treatment, and I want to start it as soon as possible, but I am too weak...

Should I set a date? Or do you have any other recommendations?

Comment

ARE YOU KIDDING?

You are really asking for a recommendation on this from a group of people who are sober and/or trying to be?

I think you know the answer

Comment

Amen, Ann....
                            That's the problem with addiction....you are totally blind when you are in the thrust of it. It's a vicious cycle of mind games. 'I can stop any time I want to.' Boy, do I wish I had a nickel for every time I said THAT one. You are thinking that you have the magic bullet there with the AB, but as you can see, EVEN THAT can't make you stop once you are in the cycle of it. AL is telling you the problem isn't that bad and that you NEED more to feel better so you can do your job...that IS the problem...because life is just the opposite of what AL tells you!!!

One drink leads to another. Period. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Ann Carolina;1508623 wrote: ...the non-drinking life has to be EMBRACED, not tolerated.
                              Such a great quote, because its true. I will try to remember that.

And I don't need a medical detox. I detox every day. Remember that I many times wait until afternoon/evening before drinking.

What I need is to a kick in the a** and get on the 'bus.

Which date should I set? I feel it will be easier if I have a date to look forward to.

Comment

Working...
                              X