Skullbaby's Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skullbaby's Progress

Hey all... longtime lurker, I've read much of the forums and have finally decided to jump in, take the plunge, and document my recovery journey...

:new:

I've been up since 3 am with insomnia (my main bac SE) so decided to get up and and start my progress thread.

My plan is to be titrating up on bac, and I am considering pairing it with Nal/TSM when drinking. On top of those, I'm considering adding the occasional 3-5 day stint of antabuse for when travelling for work/attending conventions (basically times where I can't be hungover and feeling like death, and so taking away the choice to drink altogether).

Doing all this with the careful approval and support (and so far, scripts) of my MD. She's also having me do monthly liver panels (which are elevated right now, causing concern...)

About me-
    male, USA, 36 years old.
    Alcoholic for 15 years, last 10 years worse and worse.
    Binge drinker, 1 to 3 nights per week. Heavy hangovers next day keep me from working, eating right, pursuing passion projects, exercising, or doing much of anything.
    Drink of choice- beer, sometimes red wine, anything else around after those are done.
    Smoke when I drink. :upset:
    Often have intense depression/despair, sometimes leading to suicidal thoughts.
    When sober, am generally postitive and motivated towards recovery and healthy behaviors.
    Poor health that I'm trying to work on- overweight by approx 40 lbs, high cholesterol, high CRP, high blood pressure, elevated liver.

Have tried Naltrexone/TSM but didn't give it much of a fair shot to take hold (only did a couple months before the drunk in me decided that it'd rather have the buzz back)

Since the cravings themselves are what usually take me down the dark path, I'm now trying to combat them with baclofen at low doses. Have noticed a VERY slight (maybe placebo effect?) decrease in craving, enough to have hope to titrate up.

Presently at only 30 mg bac/day and hope to get up to 80 in a few weeks and reassess.

SE's- most problematic SE by far is insomnia, paired with the feeling of shortness of breath/gasping for air constantly through the night, keeping me awake. Also, some somnolence but can deal with that fine. The insomnia/breath thing is irritating and exasperating and keeps me from sleep which really bums me out. Sometimes melatonin (10 mg) helps, sometimes benadryl (50-100 mg), sometimes they don't help at all.

Being at only low doses so far, I do expect SE's to get much worse as I titrate up. But I guess I'll just bear it and soldier on cuz I can't keep going this way... I do worry, though, about taking too many medications. In addition to the drinking recovery meds I mentioned above, and for the record, I currently take daily-

10 mg lisinopril (for high blood pressure- may go up to 20 mg/day)
    20 mg omeprazole (for esophagitis/GERD)
    120 mg armour thyroid (for hypothyroidism)
    75 mg effexor (for depression/anxiety)

very occasionally, 0.25 or 0.5 mg (i half pill or 1 pill) xanax for anxiety/hangover anxiety (no more than approximately once a month on average)

daily supplements-
    1000 mg Vit C
    daily multivitamin
    calcium, magnesium
    Vit D
    Vit B
    lots of fish oil/Omega 3

So... that's kind of a big cocktail... I'm really hoping that I'm making the right choices with all these meds (and supps etc).

That said, I'm willing to try this stuff because the alternative is just too heavy. If I don't find the switch/extinction/combination to help me moderate/cut down drinking, I don't think my life will really have much value. Drinking pretty much ruins my quality of life.

As a side note, I've also found a bit of hope in exercise- I hired a personal trainer to keep me motivated and on track, and we're lifting weights two to three times per week, and that helps me eat healthier too (on sober days).

Much much much heartfelt thanks to all you posters and active MWOers, bac-ers, TSMers, and recovering drunks in general... I've felt hope for the first time in years by reading your experiences and knowledge.

Skullbaby's Progress

forgot to add one detail... another SE of the bac so far...

The other thing that interrupts my sleep is a weird tickly feeling at the back of my throat, combined with a gross nasal blocked feeling that takes a while to clear, if it does at all.

So far, very bummed about these SE's as I've always valued my sleep.... oh well, we'll see what happens...

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Hey! I know you!

Here's a link for you: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ise-39134.html

:welcome:
      :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
      :what?:
      sigpic
      Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
      A Forum
      Trolls need not apply

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Hey skullbabyland...

Baclofen messes with my nasal passage as well. I sort of try and sleep with my mouth open as breathing can be a problem. The sleep think should get better with time. It has for me. I'm getting good sleep 25 days in. I fall a sleep quicker (never used to). I still wake about 2-3 time over the night but I get back to sleep soon enough. I went to bed at 9pm last night and didn't get out of bed until 8am this morning.

I don't lift weights but cardio has become easier except for terrible nausea afterwards. Its probably just easier because I'm not hung over though.

My 2 SEs that caused me real problems were nausea and other sleep related problems. The sleep had sorted itself out (touch wood). I sort of have the nausea under control through anti-nausea meds.

I sweat like ******* during the night though.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Touch wood you might not even be still drinking long enough for TSM to be of use but it could be an option. Antabuse might help to get you off to a good start if you find yourself still drinking in the early stages as the hangovers might cause you problems. I was lucky enough to cut back on my booze intact from the off. I couldn't imagine drinking through the 200mg+ stage. I considered Antabuse to give me a good base to start off. You might only need it for a month or two.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Lo0p;1512753 wrote: Hey! I know you!

Here's a link for you: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ise-39134.html

Thanks Loop! I've actually read that thread a few times, and the seeming exercise-boost seems like the one SE that I could actually enjoy

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

john doe;1512767 wrote: Hey skullbabyland...

Baclofen messes with my nasal passage as well. I sort of try and sleep with my mouth open as breathing can be a problem. The sleep think should get better with time. It has for me. I'm getting good sleep 25 days in. I fall a sleep quicker (never used to). I still wake about 2-3 time over the night but I get back to sleep soon enough. I went to bed at 9pm last night and didn't get out of bed until 8am this morning.

I don't lift weights but cardio has become easier except for terrible nausea afterwards. Its probably just easier because I'm not hung over though.

My 2 SEs that caused me real problems were nausea and other sleep related problems. The sleep had sorted itself out (touch wood). I sort of have the nausea under control through anti-nausea meds.

I sweat like ******* during the night though.
              Hey JD, thanks for the posts. Yeah, man... the sleep issues are such a drag. I'm really glad to hear that you're getting better sleep though, and that the SE's have subsided for you. I can't imagine what it'll be like if the insomnia continues. Scary.

I wish you good luck with the nausea SE... sounds like you've got it mostly under control... Great to hear.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

john doe;1512768 wrote: Touch wood you might not even be still drinking long enough for TSM to be of use but it could be an option. Antabuse might help to get you off to a good start if you find yourself still drinking in the early stages as the hangovers might cause you problems. I was lucky enough to cut back on my booze intact from the off. I couldn't imagine drinking through the 200mg+ stage. I considered Antabuse to give me a good base to start off. You might only need it for a month or two.
                Yeah I hear you. At the moment I'm not ruling anything out... The drunken fool in me is mighty indeed and I may need multiple weapons (ie, meds) to combat it...

Glad to hear you were able to cut back on the booze early on!

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Thanks man. Sleep should come soon enough. A lot of members had sleep issues before using Baclofen but you seem to have had a good cycle before hand. Thins makes me think it should sort itself out. I had no luck with sleep meds. I've had major trouble with benzo's in the past and would rather have insomnia than go down that road again.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Hey, skullbaby,

Welcome to the party!

I had the SEs of messed up sleep and the breathing issue. The nasal/breathing problems happen, IMO, because the bac relaxes the muscles involved in breathing. Try sleeping on your side.

The great news is that the SEs don't always get worse as you titrate up. Plus it sounds like you're going up slowly so maybe your body will adjust to the bac better. My SEs got worse after I hit my threshold and came down--or maybe I just better accepted them going up. Once I stayed at my current dose for a month my sleep seems to have straightened out. Now I just have a buzzing in my hands (a new SE in the last few weeks).

Good luck and I'm glad you posted.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

I love that sign... Anyway, yeah, I try sleeping on my stomach, with lots of pillows all around me. Like 1 pillow kind of under the corner of my face, so I can point my head downward but also not smashed right down against the bed, if that makes sense, and 1 pillow for under my arm, kind of supporting the upper body so it feels like you've got some room to breathe. Again, if that makes sense, but with some experimenting you can usually find a pretty comfortable place.

Facing head-down also seems to help with the upper-airway congestion feeling.

Consider Milk Thistle for the liver. It's not a cure-all or anything, but it's not just placebo either. It has been shown to improve liver function in alkies, though those studies were done after beginning long-term abstinence. Can't hurt, though.

As for the rest of the sleep, there are multiple things conspiring to screw you: bac, which messes with sleep, and anxiety sometimes, and the drinking. More specifically, the reduced drinking. Even just cutting back a little bit, so you feel more or less sober going to bed, will fuck up your sleep for at least a month.

For me it used to feel kind of like a strategic decision--no cravings, so either deal with the anxiety/insomnia of not drinking, or get bombed and get a "good" night's sleep. I'm sure that wasn't as rational a choice as I thought it was at the time, but it was what it was.

Also, try distracting yourself on MWO--like it seems you're doing already. Write up your progress here, random thoughts or worries, or whatever. And find some of the older, longer threads that you like, and just read through those. Lots to identify with there (in AA speak), and seeing others going through what you're going through really helps. (You can click on the button on upper-right of the forum that says "Views" or "Replies" and it'll show you the most popular and longest threads... Easy way to find the big progress threads that you can work through in the middle of the night.)

Best of luck and keep at it!

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Thanks to all who've posted on my thread with great advice, tips, and encouragement. It's very much appreciated.

A quick update before I go to bed and (attempt to) sleep...

So I got the OK from my MD that it's safe to use TSM/nal in conjunction with the bac regimen. So I'll be starting that up this week. She also agreed that it could be good to use "targeted" antabuse for limited times such as conventions and work functions where I really need to be on my game and not hungover/sick. I'll be filling that script tomorrow and will use as needed (and be very careful to allow a lot of time to pass when using Antabuse so as not to get sick).

I was hoping to have this all ready for this weekend, when I had a convention to attend, with colleagues/houseguests... but basically I didn't do too great. Drank heavy amounts on 2 out of 4 evenings, with hangovers during the convention. It sucked, but I still basically came through and was able to perform as needed and even had a good time at the convention. But still... gotta work harder on being prepared and taking the necessary steps.

Still at 30 mg bac, will go up to 40 mg this week. I'm tempted to titrate up faster as others have done but the sleep SE's really bother me and Im scared they'll be significatnly worse if I don't give my body adequate time to adjust to the dosage.

Anyway... hope you're all well... any comments/support appreciated as always

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

You seem to have all bases covered. Getting your drinking down any way you can will only help you on your way up. Regarding titrating up.. listen to your body but give each jump 3 days to let settle would be my advice.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

The quicker you go, the more SE's you will face definitely. You seem to be attacking this from all angles,which is good, because the less you drink on your way up on baclofen, the easier it will go.

Best of luck.

Comment

Skullbaby's Progress

Thanks guys. So far, not doing great at getting the drinking down, but since I'm adding both NAL/TSM and AB to my toolbox I'm optimistic I can get the units down. Now, I just have to be patient with titrating up, as I only feel comfortable adding 10 mg every 5 days... at this rate it may take a while
                              That's OK... at least I have a plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X