28 Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 Days

Hi all. I just wanted to give an update and send out once again my many thanks for the support here. I could not have done this without all of you here. So a HUGE THANKS to all of you.

I am 28 days in today. Funny because I must have missed a couple of days updating my signature as I was at 26 days today. I got out the calendar and counted, and sure enough I have 28 days AF. It is still my intention to moderate after my 30 days of abs.

Just a couple of things I have learned...

I still do not feel like I will be able to just have a drink, without thought and careful planning. Therefore, I will not have drinks at home alone, unless hubby is having one and he makes it. I tend to pour large and drink fast. If he pours it will be less, and if he is paying attention I will go slower. I will have to seriously plan each occasion and plan limits.

If I should go to a place where I feel I am losing control, I will again go through a 30 day AF period.

There came a time, probably after 15 days in or so, when I felt like I really wanted a drink and was almost willing to abandon my goal to have one. I managed to talk myself out of it as I was truly determined to get through the 30 day period. But just a note on abandoning my goal... I can honestly say that if I had had drinks, I would have been making a very conscious decision to do so and therefore would not have been angry at myself later. Even if it is a bad choice, it is a conscious choice. How can I clearly make a decision to do something and then beat myself up the next day? A huge part of this problem for me was beating myself up every single day, feeling like a failure and feeling lost and out of control.

I believe for me the self-loathing was and would have been more destructive than making a decision to drink and then doing it. In a round about way, what I came to learn is that I make the decision ultimately. Not alcohol. I decide to have a drink, I am aware of my choice, and I live with that - no matter what. With luck, I will make the right decisions, or at least better decisions. I know that once the first drink hits the mouth, all self-control might be in the toilet. That takes me back to drinking alone. Must make sure that hubby is with me at first as he is aware of my situation and will help me to enforce making better decisions when it comes to alcohol. I don't know how long I will need the crutch but I am going to use it as long as necessary.

I feel very confident that I will make my 30 day period as I am on day 29 now. I don't feel confident that I will make all the right choices in the future yet, but I am hoping that will come.

Prolonged use of alcohol has/had me suffering from low self-esteem, injuries, terrible skin, brittle hair, poor quality of life, beating myself up, and has made me extremely vulnerable.

28 days in, I feel better, I look better:alf:, I am happier, I am healing, I am stronger :boxer: , I am almost injury free, I am faster, I have more confidence:crazymonkey:, I am clear minded, and I like this person I have become - I am going to stick with her... she's pretty darn OKinkele:.

Thanks again everyone. I hope to feel strong enough in the future to support more folks on this site.

Wishing you all a very happy and in control day.
    :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

28 Days

Congratulations!! Your doing wonderfully. Remember your the main player here. We're the props
    continued Success
    mar

Comment

28 Days

Brilliant well done xx

Comment

28 Days

What a wonderful person you have in mind. You already are her.

Gem x
        Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

28 Days

Must do Better:
          Congrats on your sucess..... It is a worthy accomplishment to do what you have done. Everyday is a like driving down a new road, but the scenery becomes more beautiful and your actually like being in the drivers seat for first time in a long time. Continued success.
          Abby

Comment

28 Days

Good job-sounds like a great plan.:thumbsup Good luck & success.
            :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

28 Days

Great job Must! I agree 100% about taking responsibility for choosing that drink and not beating ourselves up if we do. It is a train of thought that has really changed how I view alcohol. Berating ourselves for "giving in" I believe fuels us to just give up and drink more. I have no doubt you will get to 30 days!!!
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

28 Days

Must -
                Boy your post is exactly what I needed at this moment!!!! Thank you! I am on day 8, told myself I was going 30 (like you) AF before I mod. Today was the first day I really wanted a drink and really was ready to stop at the bar and have just one (hopefully) glass of wine but told myself NO! I would let myself down..I feel all the things you do good and bad! So I came home got on here, found your words and feel much better. Gonna hit the gym for an hour or two and keep my mind off of it!
                Thanks for helping ! GOOD JOB !!!!!!!

Barbie
                We live our lives in chains and dont even know we have the key!

Comment

28 Days

dear MDB..fantastic about almost reaching day 30..your goal AF..
                  I am feeling similar as i set out to do 40 days for lent...and to check out my drinking problem.Well i have done over the forty now as started a lyttle before Ash Wednesday.

away on holiday next week and i want to moderate too..mentally i feel i have a choice about this(well lets hope so)Will posy when i get back as i guess i will try the moderating out and see how i feel.

lile you i feel i have choices to make and i think for noe "my stop button! will work.
                  so i aim for a glass of plonk with a meal for the first time in 7 weeks and lets hope i can re cork!!!
                  whatever happens i know for me i need to be accountable from time to time..so will need to keep reading the posts....good luck and congratulatins MDB.
                  Regards Cassy

Comment

28 Days

Brilliant MDB.
                    I'm really pleased.
                    Well done.

Comment

28 Days

That is so excellent! You are my inspiration... I am still working on one day at a time.

Comment

28 Days

Lovely stuff. A wonderfully positive post. Thank you.

Comment

28 Days

Well done!

Way to go MDB! - and good to hear the self-reflection - fore-warned is fore-armed so if you know what your potential pit falls are you can avoid them, or prepare for them. Sounds like you're in a great place - many congratulations on your achievements!
                          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                          Goals:
                          Days 1-7 DONE
                          Days 8-14 DONE
                          Days 15-21 DONE
                          30 days DONE
                          60 days
                          100 days

Comment

28 Days

MDB, you are in such a positive place at the minute and that is fantastic!!

Thanks for sharing, and well done Barbie Ellen xx
                            sigpicXXX

Comment

28 Days

Thanks everyone for the warm wishes. I so appreciate it. Barbie - Glad to help. I want you to know, and everyone else out there who is struggling with not know who they are on the other side... it's not so bad. I can live with myself sober. I didn't think I could before. Turns out I can and it's not so bad.

I am about to uncork a bottle of wine. I am not going to try to pay attention to what I am doing either. I am just going to enjoy having a drink. I am home, the kids are in bed. I don't care. I know now that at any given time I can go AF. I am the boss of alcohol. And that feels really darn good.
                              :rays: mdb :rays:

Good at being AF. Not so good at Moderation.

Lots of work yet to do!

Comment

Working...
                              X