Magic Mineral Broth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Mineral Broth

Being so new, I am trying not to duplicate posts. I did a search and couldn't find this, so please forgive me if it has already been discussed. I too am a big believer in the link between nutrient deficiencies and addiction. (Thanks Kuya for the link to Dr. Wilson's excellent article.) As I take the first steps towards an AF life, I plan to use food as an aid to healing. Therefore I am moving towards a totally organic, whole foods diet. I'm not there yet, but working on it daily. I wanted to share this recipe for a broth that I have been making for years. I have used it in the past to steady my alcohol ravaged body even while I continued to drink heavily. It made a huge difference. Many times after a horrid bender, I would sip this broth all day until my body was strong enough to accept food again.

Although chef, Rebecca Katz, developed this broth to help cancer patients strengthen their body during treatment, it is full of essential nutrients such as potassium and magnesium, so it also helps to repair cellular damage caused by alcohol abuse. Usually I use organic veggie broth as the starter base to give it a richer flavor. Other times, I peel the vegetables first and leave them in the broth to create a hearty veggie soup. Either way it is delicious. In fact, I am sipping a mugful as I type rather than my normal cup of coffee.

I almost posted this in the recipe section, but I consider this broth more of a holistic medicine than food, so this seemed like the appropriate place. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Magic Mineral Broth - Rebecca Katz, MS, Author, Educator & Culinary Translator
    Everything is going to be amazing

Magic Mineral Broth

Looks terrific ! What are whole allspice and kombu ?
    Meow-Meow
    MonaKitty

Comment

Magic Mineral Broth

I cook with allspice a lot - anytime I want to sweeten up a stew or soup. I buy it at my local grocery store in the spice aisle. However, until you just asked, I never thought about where it actually comes from. It looks like it goes by many different names. From Wikipedia:

Allspice, also called Jamaica pepper, pepper, myrtle pepper, pimenta, pimento, or newspice, is a spice that is the dried unripe fruit ("berries") of Pimenta dioica. The name allspice was coined as early as 1621 by the English, who thought it combined the flavour of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Kombu is hard to come by where I live so I have to order it online. It's an edible form of kelp. It definitely adds an earthy flavor to the broth. Rebecca Katz swears it's the magic ingredient, but I've made this broth many times without it and still reap the benefits.
      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Magic Mineral Broth

Very interesting and many thanks MossRoss !
        Meow-Meow
        MonaKitty

Comment

Magic Mineral Broth

Thanks for the recipe and link MossRose; great recipes on her website.

Comment

Magic Mineral Broth

Very excited to try this broth!

Comment

Magic Mineral Broth

Yes!
              Have made a few batches of bone broth which slow cooks with some vegs.
              Have notice better digestion and less cravings for any vices of mine.

Definitely recommend it.

Comment

Working...
              X