Wish I still had a sense of spirituality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belief in God/spirituality used to bring me some peace, and peace of mind it seemed. However, after so many years of daily suffering (when I was very much a believer), I had to bring myself to the logical conclusion that either

A) God didn't like me,

B) didn't exist, or

C) doesn't matter because I see no help from it; the suffering continues as always.

Anyhow, I'm not looking to prod someone into converting me back or giving me a huge spiel about how their god is going to save me. I just wish I could have a sense of spirituality or understanding which doesn't involve a deity. I want to feel at peace with the Universe again but I know I can never go back to a belief in a god. I spent years on that path to absolutely no avail, and actually to quite a lot of agony.

What should I believe in? I'm rather averse to any notion of greater spiritual beings anymore because I suffered for so long, I gave up caring and decided just to rely on myself.

they say if you become a non-believer, you really weren't a believer in the first place, BECAUSE, once you trust Christ for forgiveness of sin you NEVER loose that forgiveness. and you will always have a place in heaven as His.

I find that people like the idea of going to heaven, but don't realize they have sinned. Sin is doing what God says not to do and not doing what He says to do.

Sin keeps you out of heaven, but the GOOD NEWS is that when you realize that you have sinned, even a little one!!!!! God provides a way. When you trust Christ's shed blood paid the price for your sin you are in "like flynn". Really. That's all.

-S-

Comment

Born again Christians ....... Fool me once, shame on you, fool me TWICE, shame on ME !!

Comment

kuya;1518948 wrote: Born again Christians ....... Fool me once, shame on you, fool me TWICE, shame on ME !!
        THANK YOU. I won't even respond to the other person. Namely because they used the name, "Christ." The Bible says in itself to put no one before God but Christ himself said he was equal to God and in fact that he WAS/IS God. So therefore, Christians worship an idol which is against their religion. I take absolutely no heed in anyone who even mentions a mainstream religion anymore. The ridiculousness is beyond all ridiculousness.

Comment

Christ is God in human form, who came to earth for us.

-S-

Comment

kuya;1518948 wrote: Born again Christians ....... Fool me once, shame on you, fool me TWICE, shame on ME !!
            Whiplash;1519023 wrote:
            THANK YOU. I won't even respond to the other person. Namely because they used the name, "Christ." The Bible says in itself to put no one before God but Christ himself said he was equal to God and in fact that he WAS/IS God. So therefore, Christians worship an idol which is against their religion. I take absolutely no heed in anyone who even mentions a mainstream religion anymore. The ridiculousness is beyond all ridiculousness.
            Sometimes I feel sooooo misunderstood :upset::upset:

:H:H:H

Comment

I totally especially in my darkests moments can relate to OP. I just can't find the logic in the idea that you can sin but all you have to do is belief et voila road to heaven is open. However if you behaved like mother Theresa but do not belief, sorry you won't go to heaven. I had this exact conversation with the oldest children of my ex husband, he was an atheist, they religious. They would "bother" him to convert him during as otherwise they can't meet in heaven. My logic is well why would anyone want to be in heaven, if half of the people is not there? Though they were 'good' people? They always have an answer for everything. Mostly you just have to 'trust'. Every religion also only beliefs in its god. Fast forward my ex husband is dying. We have two young children, under 10. They don't inform them their dad went to hospital and is dying. He dies and they tell us he DID came 'around' eventually and did belief. They are elated. I'm just appalled. Trying to convince a person who is in utterly pain, well... and denying us or any other person that could array this happening, to be at his deathbed and now for selfish reasons IMO, they go around their dad became religious and see no wrongs in what they did. Argh I hate this. I'm sober for 3,5 year. I do not belief in god Perse, however I do feel connected with the nature. In fact if I loose a spiritual connection I will go out in the nature and just be quiet and listen, look and feel. For me it helps. I just don't want to go back to the hopelessness and despair when I was drinking. I would do anything for that and for me that's surrendering.

Comment

KUYA:

That Avatar is hilarious. :H:H
                On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I don't see why just being alive and connected to other people isn't considerd spiritual. that is what it's all about, after all. we are stardust, literally. we are here, and that is AMAZING...how our bodies work, flowers, clouds, stars, the sun, water etc...amazing. I am filled with a sense of wonder everyday. it's all around, you just have to see it.

ps, i'm an atheist.
                  10-06-2012

Comment

You are a body, a mind and a spirit. God is a Spirit. He lives in the spirit part of your being. If his spirit is not in you, you will be spiritually dead. Spiritual death leads to many issues and dysfunction in our lives
                    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

I beg to differ. I am spiritually very alive. when I hike around mt rainier or go to the coast and see whales swimming in their pods, I am filled with a joy that overwhelms me. maybe you choose to call that god or spirit, I call it wonder. please refrain from defining my beliefs in the future. thank you.
                      10-06-2012

Comment

No pun intended. Sensitivity is quite common place here. Totally understandable. The mentioned comments were not direct at anyone in particular. No one is defining anyone's believes. Unless something deep inside is stirring up the guilt.
                        Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

you negated everything you said with that last sentence.
                          10-06-2012

Comment

bettygirl;1521923 wrote: you negated everything you said with that last sentence.
                            I agree! This isn't your platform to convert people. There are debate sites designated specifically towards that.

Comment

Working...
                            X