Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 2, after the discussion ...

Hi to my new friends,

Day 2: Yesterday was a true roller coaster of a ride. The morning was full of despair, sorrow, self-loathing et al, and I downloaded the book and read about half of it, (will try to finish later today, if possible, the kids & grandkids are coming for Easter Dinner) and spent a lot of time on this web-site reading and doing my first post. Thanks to those that took the time out to respond, it helps tremendously.

In my mind I beleive that total abstinance is the only way for me. To put the temptation in my hands would be too much, as I heard once at an AA meeting before (yep tried that route, but failed) its not the last drink you have that evening, but the first. That rang a bell in my head, and it was like a lifgt bulb being swithched on. I never realized how true that was for me. My inhibitions and will-power were lost, besides what harm would having two drinks have rather than one?, then is three, four and onwards.

Yesterday, I mentioned to my wife that this was the only answer for me, tried to apologize for all the hurt, but she has "heard it all before". Which is true, but i really hope that this time it is going to be different. I got the (continuing) cold shoulder for a while, then a couple of hours later, we sat in the kitchen and talked. Something we have not done a lot of lately, on my part its what can I say that will make a difference. I have put her through a lot, it must be difficult for my loved one to see the mess I'm in. And hard for her to comprehend the addiction of it. "Why can't you stop after one or two? You've done it before". But it is one of the hardest things to do. I tried to explain the stop button gets turned off by the brain and cannot be turned on again until the bar is closed, thereby making the decision for me.

Plus, her ex-husband and the kids father has just been diagnosed and hospitalised with cirrhosis, a very bad case. Though we have been married nearly 25 years now, a contact was always there as the kids grew up and more recently with marriages, grandkids, and the odd funeral. There is a little bit od soul searching going on there.

Also, her company is going through a large merger and she is concerned about losing her job.

So all in all, a lot of emotions going on, as they say it never rains but it pours. We have decided to stay together (for now), a split being not in either of our wants or wishes.

So day 2, (48 hours) comes and goes, with the task ahead no easier, since golf season is almost upon us and with those hot days and cold beer riding around on a cart.

I hate the idea of drugs, but think I'll try the supplements, when I can get to a store. Not sure about the CD's, I've always hated the idea of hypnosis, but if they are just a relaxation tool, then I'll think about it. Need to do more reading.

I apologize for the rambling, but I feel better sharing ...

:racer:

PS land shark is the nickname of the Porsche 928, the nose looks like a shark's nose
    :racer:

Hi, please feel free to ramble as much as you like .........

It took my hubby a while to believe that 'this time I meant it' but every day gets easier, thanks for keeping us informed of your progress .....

Hope you feel that you're not still right at the bottom of that ladder now..

Love & Hugs:h :l :h
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Hey landshark.
      I know what it's like to have someone who's heard it all before.
      I told my wife so many times that I would clean my act up. It's not squeaky clean yet, but I'm so much better than I was 5 months ago.
      When you're just starting out, a day can seem like forever, never mind a few months. I was a 4/5/6 bottle of vodka a week. Now I'm down to maybe one every two weeks or one a month. My wife has started to believe me this time. Even when I fall off, she knows that things are better than they were. As I said before, I'm not where I want to be, but I'm a long way from where I was.
      Best wishes to you mate.

Comment

hi Landsharkman, (nice car BTW)
        the above posts are right on target, just wated to add something my dear tortured wife said: don't make me promises anymore. just say you love me and that you know I love you. then show me what you've become...don't tell me what you are "going to" do.

yes, DO take the vitamin/aminos for sure. as your brain changes you very much need these missing nutrients or you will be fighting your physiology even harder. especially a really potent B complex, 1000mg of C per day and a blend of aminos.
        Great post BTW. thanks for sharing and keeping us up to speed on your great progress.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi Landsharkman, I'm glad you've started reading the book. Everyone here is in a much better place now than they were before MWO. Some choose to be totally alcohol free and others moderate.

I think the supplements are important because they reduce the craving. We all know what it's like to feel like you can't stop after 2. Our bodies just crave more alcohol and our brains are enjoyng the buzz. RJ did much research for the book.

I'm glad you're doing better.:goodjob:
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

landshark, my husband is the one who just said yo me one day'" I think you need therapy" I was a mess he didn't judge me. I was doing that just fine by myself; I had sentened my self to a lifetime of misery and self pity. Then I joined MWO it seemed just to easy, I didn't tell anyone at first, I just tried. My husband soon took noticed. I am now a moderation drinker. I started 1/26/07 that is not my sobriety date ,it is in essence my new birthdate. The day I reclaimed my life. I'm sure your wife is feeling a lot of pressure right now, but it's not all you. Just change what you can and let the rest "fall" into place. Once they see the change in you they tend to change toward you for the positive. Please feel free to ramble no one can go one like me I promise.
            Take Care
            Mary

Comment

i wish to god i had a husband who would say something-anything-that i need help-that i should quit-at least cut down-that he cares-that maybe i look like an idiot. it hurts that he doesnt seem to care, but i know-its gone too far-i feel the guilt, embarrassment myself, and i feel ill, altho he is quick to pick up a case of beer or wine whenever i ask- its not his fault- its mine really-but if someone can care enough to say that you need help, accept that and they sure must love you to give a care for you, i wish someone would tell me-enough! you are doing yourself harm! we want you to stop! we care about you!--it would really help just to have someone else care a bit-i am rambling-thanks tho that i have somewhere to ramble to . everything helps

Comment

888Katie, I care, I am not telling you to stop, I am asking you to slow down; Take a look around and decide where you want to be. I will talk to you. So will everyone else. I know it's hard to belive people you never met care about you, but it's true. no of us want to see you in despair.
                Hugs for ya
                Mary

Comment

Hi Landshark - Many congrats on the last 24 hours! :goodjob:

Great to hear the determination - and the honesty - please keep 'rambling' - you may find that just putting it all in writing - laying it 'on the table' so to speak may add more weight to your determination - do whatever helps to keep you on your new road. Try to keep an open mind - if you try things and they don't work then fine, but you never know...Good luck to your wife as well - sounds like she has a lot on her plate at the moment but great if she's prepared to still give you the benefit of the doubt and keep her fingers crossed that this time you mean it - don't forget the old cliche 'actions speak louder than words' - not sure that's always true as words can be very powerful, but if she's heard it all before then in this case it's now time to show her - prove that you mean it - you can do it and you will and not only for her but yourself - you deserve it! so good luck with the next little step towards your new life - it's there waiting for you! Many :l

And Katie, yes we do care, and we're here whenever you need us!

Just a thought - my ex-husband had a drinking problem too (worse than mine at the time) but I never said anything as I didn't know what to say, how to broach it, - but it didn't mean I didn't care. I also bought him drink when he wanted even though I should have forced us to address the issue - I wasn't strong enough to do that - I didn't want to push him further away, I didn't want him to feel that I was attacking him - I basically didn't know what to do, so it was never mentioned - but it wasn't because I didn't care. I don't know the relationship between you and your husband, but maybe some initial guidance from you would make it easier for him to broach the subject??

But anyway, we are here so keep posting - you don't need anyone to tell you you're doing yourself harm because you've made that decision yourself - and that's exactly where it's got to come from - not anyone else telling you - it's something you
                  have to realise and decide you need to do something about it - and you have!

So brilliant that you're here and look forward to hearing how it goes.

Take care, and many :l too!
                  :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                  Goals:
                  Days 1-7 DONE
                  Days 8-14 DONE
                  Days 15-21 DONE
                  30 days DONE
                  60 days
                  100 days

Comment

Landsharkman,
                    glad your here! lots of support waitin for ya, just ask as you have. Hit the vitamins and aminos hard. Kudzu will help tremendously. Exersize and plenty of water. All day of water! Now for me I went the topa route. I personally cant recommend that enough.
                    I'm now 10 months alcohol free. I feel great!
                    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Working...
                    X