How to make it a whole year sober!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow will be one year since I quit drinking. It has been the best decision I have made in my life. There are no second thoughts or second guesses. I am truly grateful to have achieved what seemed completely impossible the same time last year. I am here to share what has worked for me and hopefully it will help someone on this forum

1) 30 day isolation. The first thirty days are by far the hardest and I decided to completely shield myself from the outside world. Phone off, no going out, no birthdays, parties... Just a lot of posting on MWO. It really helped to know that people were going through the same emotional up and downs as me

2) 15 minute rule. At first it is really hard to imagine a lifetime of sobriety, so instead I allowed myself the possibility to drink again, however, I would have to sit down and think for 15 minutes before buying a drink. To be honest cravings never last that long, thinking about pros and cons, remembering all the horrible things that I did drunk put me off every time, for the duration of a year. By the end of those 15 minutes I would always decided that not drinking is a long term solution to happiness and no amount of alcohol is worth sacrificing it. The longer I went AF the more I had to lose by giving in and the easier it became to say "NO".

3)
    Social situations. Knowing how to react to peoples questions about your sobriety. It was very hard at first and I had to come up with excuses. However, nowadays I am happy just saying "I don't drink" "Why?"
    "I just don't"
    Most people don't ask again and those that have a problem with it are usually the people that you don't want anything to do with.

Those are the main points that got me through the year. I am a lot happier and more level. I have more disposable income. I feel proud. People can now rely on me.

It is a journey definitely worth taking!!!!

Allan
    AF since 1st Sep 2012
    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Allan,

An awesome post. Thank you for your insights. Love the 15 minute rule and love the comment about how people can rely on you now. That last part is huge. Over the years I felt like I let so many people down by saying I'd do something and then because of al fog or delusions of grandeur in a drunken state, I forgot, or blew it off.

You have every reason to be proud of yourself and we are too!
    You are truly an inspiration!
    Thanks,
    ~Sanchez

Comment

Great words of wisdom......just ordered your one year star.....should be in tomorrow!
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

allankay;1550439 wrote: Tomorrow will be one year since I quit drinking. It has been the best decision I have made in my life. There are no second thoughts or second guesses. I am truly grateful to have achieved what seemed completely impossible the same time last year. I am here to share what has worked for me and hopefully it will help someone on this forum

1) 30 day isolation. The first thirty days are by far the hardest and I decided to completely shield myself from the outside world. Phone off, no going out, no birthdays, parties... Just a lot of posting on MWO. It really helped to know that people were going through the same emotional up and downs as me

2)
        15 minute rule. At first it is really hard to imagine a lifetime of sobriety, so instead I allowed myself the possibility to drink again, however, I would have to sit down and think for 15 minutes before buying a drink. To be honest cravings never last that long, thinking about pros and cons, remembering all the horrible things that I did drunk put me off every time, for the duration of a year. By the end of those 15 minutes I would always decided that not drinking is a long term solution to happiness and no amount of alcohol is worth sacrificing it. The longer I went AF the more I had to lose by giving in and the easier it became to say "NO".

3)
        Social situations. Knowing how to react to peoples questions about your sobriety. It was very hard at first and I had to come up with excuses. However, nowadays I am happy just saying "I don't drink" "Why?"
        "I just don't"
        Most people don't ask again and those that have a problem with it are usually the people that you don't want anything to do with.

Those are the main points that got me through the year. I am a lot happier and more level. I have more disposable income. I feel proud. People can now rely on me.

It is a journey definitely worth taking!!!!

Allan
        Allan, wonderful words of advice! I love your fifteen minute rule especially. Recognising the cravings, addressing them and dealing with them, for me that's key and I failed in the past because I buried my head in the sand. A whole year free Allan, you have your life back, congratulations!

:wave::wave:
        Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

My happiness for you is beyond words. Well done on this one year, and here's to many more to come! I am SO proud of you! Here is your prize:

ants:

Your Big Boy Pants..... for moving beyond addiction and graduating to NORMAL. Keep on going!! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you for that Allankay, I've been following you since I joined and your advice has been absolutely first class and so very true. Many congratulations on achieving a full year, am hopeful I can follow in your footsteps.

Sylv x
            AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I feel very emotional today. I had attempted to quit many times in the past but am so glad the last one was successful. I think reaching absolute rock bottom was the key and it helped me every time I was tempted.
              AF since 1st Sep 2012
              NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

spiderwoman;1550480 wrote: Thank you for that Allankay, I've been following you since I joined and your advice has been absolutely first class and so very true. Many congratulations on achieving a full year, am hopeful I can follow in your footsteps.

Sylv x
                Spiderwoman, it looks like you are approaching 1 year mark yourself. I will be cheering for you!!!
                AF since 1st Sep 2012
                NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

In all your posts that I've read, it is clear how much you like the New You and it's been very inspiring . Congratulations on an achievement that all of us here know is hard-earned and well-deserved!

All the best to you for your 2nd AF year!

Comment

Congrats on your 1 year -- onward to another year. And, thanks for your encouragement and inspiration.
                    Free at Last
                    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
                    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Allan

that is really a great achievement, I am inspired.
                      Sam
                      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Love these threads , I have had really strong cravings lately but success stories really help .
                        Spiderwoman , you are also very inspiring , i have read a lot of your posts
                        Thank you all

Damo in Dublin
                        Still trying !!!
                        AF 25th June2014

Comment

I just wanted to add my congratulations - one year - fantastic!!

I will learn from your advice. Thank you for posting the points that helped you.

I am still really bugged by people quizzing me about not-drinking... There is one bloke who does it every time... He says things like 'why aren't you drinking darling?' Then follows with comments about how he knows I like a drink etc. etc. and how he has only seen my husband drunk once etc. etc. Last time he did this, I told him to just spit out what he was trying to say... Wish I hadn't lost my rag but it really bugs me that he's accusing me of drinking too much on one hand but then questioning why I am not drinking on the other (all of this done when he was pissed by the way). Hmmm. I like the way you say 'why?'.. I really like that.. After all, it's no ones business and why should they be so interested in why we're not drinking? I guess it makes them question their own drinking habits?

Anyway, thanks again and all the best for AF year two!
                          AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Happy rebirth. To me not drinking is like being reborn. Starting fresh.
                            You are an inspiration. It is so wonderful to know this is double.
                            Thank you, thank you, thank you.:band2:
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Wine-no!;1550712 wrote: I just wanted to add my congratulations - one year - fantastic!!

I will learn from your advice. Thank you for posting the points that helped you.

I am still really bugged by people quizzing me about not-drinking... There is one bloke who does it every time... He says things like 'why aren't you drinking darling?' Then follows with comments about how he knows I like a drink etc. etc. and how he has only seen my husband drunk once etc. etc. Last time he did this, I told him to just spit out what he was trying to say... Wish I hadn't lost my rag but it really bugs me that he's accusing me of drinking too much on one hand but then questioning why I am not drinking on the other (all of this done when he was pissed by the way). Hmmm. I like the way you say 'why?'.. I really like that.. After all, it's no ones business and why should they be so interested in why we're not drinking? I guess it makes them question their own drinking habits?

Anyway, thanks again and all the best for AF year two!
                              It is a very common problem. I think your tone of voice is very important. If you are too involved in your answer people will pick it up and will try to quiz you about it. Brush it off with a short answer and move on to the next topic. If this person is important to you then I found it helpful to turn the question around and say something like "why is it important to you that I drink?" ....This turns the attention away from you and now that person needs to justify themselves to you not the other way around.

AK
                              AF since 1st Sep 2012
                              NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X