In a world surrounded by wine!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost every activity I'm aware of seems to center around alcohol. Every get together...the wine is flowing. Every dinner out cocktails and wine are a given. Going camping - well get that cooler stocked with beer. Going on a vacation - make sure to have a cool one on the beach. Every event seems to have booze as a centerpiece of some sort. Are "we" the only ones? I remember at my last attempt at sobriety I was at a pool party (kids birthday party) and it seemed like all the adults were lounging with their glass of wine or bottle of beer. It's the middle of the day people!! What the hell?

But seriously...why does every event seem to have a common denominator of booze?!?! And why is it so prevalent? Tempted to hang out with Mormon's just to catch a break...but they wouldn't have me because I smoke. No offense to Mormons...my best friend is one. I'm just saying, how to all manage without feeling "left out"?

Sake....how many social groups did you offend in that post? Bahahahaha!!!!
    Just kidding, girl.
    Yes, it sure does seem like there is no sacred ground for us to walk on....it is absolutely everywhere. In one 30 minutes show last night there were 4 ads for booze! However, at the moment we are sensitive to it. I reckon it'd be like if you were diagnosed with diabetes, everywhere you look there'd be sugar. Back in 1996, I was on heavy steroids and salt made me swell up like a tick, so everywhere I looked there was SALT...the good news is that just like everything else, we become more immune to the onslaught of it all. I look at it now and it's just something other people do. I try not to concern myself with what is in other's people's glass. I guess it's a coping mechanism...you'll get better at tuning it out (thank heavens!!!) Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

It's very true...it's like we are conditioned to think that we cannot relax, have fun, enjoy a meal or socialize without al. I live in BC wine country...there are no less than 100 wineries (who offer free wine tastings from 9am-6pm daily) within 25 miles of my house! I'm literally soaking in the wine culture here.

Comment

Byrdie - You crack me up! I'm glad to hear that after time you tune it out. I guess you're right. When I started eating low carb everywhere I looked there were dinner rolls and pizza. But I've learned to not concern myself with what's on someone else's plate. And someday I'll not notice or care what's in their glass.

Oakley - Good God!! You have a will of pure steel! I'm sure it's very pretty where you are though..I guess you'll have to enjoy the natural beauty of the region.

Comment

Totally agree. going out now is a nightmare. First thing you get asked is "what would you like to drink " then when you say cordial or water ,they look at you like you've grown 2 heads !!Then they want to know what's up why no alcohol , then they look a bit embarrassed .Even eating out is hard ,as no one orders AL ( as my husband has never been bothered about drinking -he is a LGV Driver ),it seems like they treat you like a social leper.
          AF 10th June 2014

Comment

Gingerspice - exactly...like you have 2 heads! LOL! I'm on the heavy side so I'll just say I'm on a diet. Maybe it will convince me to be on one.

Comment

Working...
            X