Skullbaby's Fitness Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started posting this in a couple different threads, but in my long-winded, detail-oriented, OCD way, the posts got so long that I figured it'd be more appropriate to make my own progress thread. My intention is to log in here daily or weekly or as often as I can, to create a journal for myself for reference, or maybe in hopes that my trials, successes/mistakes etc. could be of use to others.

So, in the interest of logging my fitness journey, thought I'd start with where I'm at and what I do...

I'm 37, male, newly sober (64 days AF at present). Ex-smoker and fast food/junk diet. Trying now to be very consistent and motivated with healthy living, especially since it can help with keeping sobriety on track. I've lost about 20 lbs in the last 4 to 6 months (not sure when to count my starting point) and have about 20 lbs more of fat to lose.

Just for the record, my basic outlook/plan is a bit out of the norm, a bit out of the mainstream, and some would call it just plain loony, but it works for me and I'm sticking with it for a while.

My diet could be described as sort of hybrid of SCD/paleo/juicing.

95% of the time (the other 5% being celebrations, slip ups, and cheat meals), I don't eat any sugar, processed foods, gluten, beans, or grains except for white rice. I do eat healthy fats such as butter, Omega 3 oil, avocado, coconut/MCT oil. I eat eggs, maybe twice a week, and I eat lean meats such as chicken and turkey, beef, bison, and elk, fish, and pork, all pastured/grass-fed/organic/wildcaught when I can get it. I juice tons of veggies and select fruits such as berries. For carbs, I eat select few complex carbs such as sweet potatoes and white rice. I eat nuts such as almonds and macadamia nuts and seeds such as pumpkin. I do eat a piece of dark chocolate (organic 85% cocao or above) per day.

For drinks, I do Bulletproof Coffee (Upgraded Coffee, grass-fed butter, MCT oil) during the day and switch to Skullbaby Lemonade (ice, water, splash of organic lemon juice, 8 drops stevia to sweeten) at night.

I also follow the IF/LeanGains method with quite good results so far.

I make sure to get between 7-9 hours of sleep per night. I really try to guard my sleeping time ruthlessly so that nothing infringes on it. I'm trying to do that with exercise now, too.

For exercising, I do 3 days of heavy/intense lifting per week, of which I'm using a RPT (Reverse-Pyramid Training) method. I use 90% compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench, pullups) and add the occasional targetted muscle exercise. On off days I'm trying to get in the habit of doing just a little bit- stretching, then 20 min of yoga, 3 min of jumproping to improve cardio, and abs exercises. Or some combination of those. Then on Sundays, I do 8-10 hill sprints for HIIT.

I supplement with Vit C, D, B, Creatine, Cal/Mag/Zinc, fiber, and protein shakes.

I've been doing the above for about 4 or 5 months and have lost a lot of fat and put on a lot of muscle. I test my blood regularly and my labs all look really good.
    I'm really seeing for the first time in my life how dedication to health (not to mention sobriety) contributes to a healthy mind, spirit, and self. One really affects and informs the other.

Lastly, my worst craving foods tend to be pizza and donuts. (And beer, but I'm working on that too).

I just moved to a new city and I have a meeting with a trainer at a gym today at 8pm- the move has caused me to miss training for 2 full weeks which is waaay too long. No more. I jump into training tonight! I must commit to it and make the time for it every day. After two weeks of no training, my re-entry is gonna hurt... more than usual

I'll check in tomorrow and post how it went...

Update- Day 6 on healthy diet/exercise.

I went down to meet with the trainer at the weightlifting gym yesterday. The gym is not for everyone, but it's right up my alley. Lots of free weights, iron, boxing gear, bootcamp gear, heavy metal music blaring. Kind of dirty, grungy, but all the essentials are there and then some. The attitude there is focused and intense. It's very non-fitness club, and not a meat marketty place to be "seen". I get the impression that it'd be very looked down on if you were to chat with people while they're working out there. It's a little on the overly macho side but I can look past that since it's (mostly) in line with what I want.

I was nervous about making, and keeping, the appointment with the trainier/owner for a couple days prior. Not because I was intimidated by the macho gym thing really, but because doing almost anything outside of my comfort zone routine can fill me with anxiety, sometimes slight, sometimes not. Usually this is an indicator that the task is important and worth doing, that I need to make it a high priority, to "feel the fear and do it anyway". When I do, I feel empowered and usually am very glad I did.

This time was no different. Had a good meeting with the guy, signed up for my first month, and got right to training. Training looked like this-

20 min stretching
    8 min brisk treadmill walk
    lifting-
    squats, 6 sets. highest at 185.
    bench, 6 sets. highest at 155.
    rows, 7 sets. highest at 120.

Smart guy move-
    Being that this was my first session without a trainer/spotter, and the gym was empty, I decided I'd better do my bench press inside of the squat rack, with the safety bars. Boy am I glad I did- after having been off training for 3 weeks, my strength was noticably less, especially on the benchpress. On my 5th set, I was at 155lbs, which was feeling heavy but I figured I'd get it no problem. Well, my body decided I was DONE. After 2 reps I couldn't get the third no matter how hard I tried. The weight would have pinned me down if not for those safety bars. I was able to slide out from under them. I'm glad that I didn't have to yell out for help to the one person that'd entered the gym, a foxy blonde bodybuilder. Haha, lesson learned- always use the safety gear, folks.

Dumbass move-
    I thought I was feeling unusually strong as I increased the weight set after set on the rows... only to look again and realized I hadn't been increasing the weight at all. I'd just been doing multiple sets of 90lbs. Dumbass! lol

Today, I'm feeling pretty sore all over, and happy Sore is good!

Today being a rest day, I'll do some light stretching/yoga and lift weights again tomorrow. Regarding sleep, I was able to get right around 8 hours last night, as I plan to every night. I've been taking a 3mg melatonin EARLY, like 8 pm, since the effects are slow on me. I get tired at 11pm and asleep by midnight. I give myself a 9 hour window in bed, from which to fall sleep/wake up, shooting for a minimum of 7 hours and a limit of 9. Today, got up right around 8:30 am, so I'm right on target.

Have a good day everyone!

EDIT- Regarding nutrition, I'm starting to get it dialed back in. The brain fog, moodiness, edginess of sugar withdrawals is subsiding, and I'm feeling good. (Remind me of this the next time I'm craving pizza, donuts, or especially beer). I've found most of the sources of good organic/grass fed meats here in my new city, and stocked up. Made some delicious grass-fed steaks last night with soaked in coconut aminos (substitute for soy sauce) along with white rice cooked in grass-fed butter and himalayan pink sea salt. For veggies, gulped down half a jug of my Hulk juice (my own blend of spinach, dinosaur kale, celery, cucumber, ginger, and berries). For dessert, a small-ish piece of 85% cacao dark chocolate.

Comment

Yesterday was a rest day, but I didn't end up making the time for the stretchcing/yoga, which was a mistake. Also, I got cravings for junk food at night and got corn chips/salsa and a giant ass burrito at dinner with the GF. So, diet was derailed, which I feel disappointed by, but I'm not letting myself dwell on it. Onward and upward...

I've decided I want to do a Dwayne Johnson-style eating clean program for 30 days, so I'm starting that count today.

As for exercise... lifting today again- chest, back, arms.

If anyone's reading this, have a good day

Comment

Day 2 of healthy eating, Rock-style. Feeling good!

Yesterday at the gym was a success- worked out hard, but safe- not maxing out, but working hard according to my limitations of being "back" after my break. Feeling myself acclimating quickly again, though my legs are still crazy sore from that first day of squats. Yesterday I worked chest, back, and arms basically to failure, and today they're hardly sore at all, especially in comparison to my still-sore guads. Maybe my body is recovering better/quicker these days, or maybe I need to lift harder.

Getting good sleep- approx 9 hours on average, which I'm happy about since it's so crucial for recovery time.

There are moments the last couple days where I feel like, my body is just super... pleasurable, there's no other way to describe it. High, elated. Almost sexual, orgasmic, but different. And my mindset is really positive and happy. This will be good to remember next time I want a drink, or crappy food, or to skip a training session. I never would have believed it, but exercise is actually becoming pleasurable, and maybe even addicting.

Diet is on track- had a lot of carbs yesterday in the form of white rice, sweet potato, and gluten-soy-wheat-dairy-basicallyeverything-free bread for burgers that actually tasted just like wheat bread.

Today, being a rest day, it's all about no carbs, but moderate-high fats and protein.

Interesting side-note- aside from my already-growing list of potential physical interests/sports, such as Krav/BJJ/boxing/sprinting, I found an oddly interesting new one- circus aerial/acrobatics. GF and I randomly stopped into a theater on the way home from dinner to catch a Halloween-themed circus show that ended up being really good. Apparently it's Portland's own circus troupe "Night Flight"'s biggest annual event. The combination of grace, dance, flexibility, and insane strength and mental focus really left an impression. They offer 7-week beginning courses and I thought I'd try it out... if you'd have told me this time last year that I'd feel strong/confident/engaged in life enough to try something like this, I'd have thought you were insane.

It's surprising and fun, how life can change. Of course I owe all this to being sober... As I've said before, sobriety is the well by which all good waters spring.

Comment

Day 3 of the Rock diet and feeling pretty good. Ate quite well yesterday- no carbs except for veggies, lots of protein and fat.

Soreness (lactic acid) in legs finally starting to go subside. I should be ready for squats or deadlifts on Wednesday or so.

Goal for today- weights- back/chest/abs. Going to be tough to get to the gym with all we have to do today but I'll make it happen, whether in the afternoon or evening.

Comment

You're sounding great, Skull!
            Keeping on track and seeing results. Keep on posting here-- I always look to see if you've added and am living vicariously through you until I can get my ass to the gym. Did a great yoga class yesterday, so everything is stretched out. The Gym... I love it, I do. But I'm scared to start again. How long were you out when you started again? It's been about 3 weeks for me, I guess. I go to a gym that sounds a bit similar to yours.-- old school body building, rock music , no nonsense. It's a great place and full of super support. But the first step is painful. What is Dwayne's nutrition plan?

Comment

lifechange;1569516 wrote: You're sounding great, Skull!
              Keeping on track and seeing results. Keep on posting here-- I always look to see if you've added and am living vicariously through you until I can get my ass to the gym. Did a great yoga class yesterday, so everything is stretched out. The Gym... I love it, I do. But I'm scared to start again. How long were you out when you started again? It's been about 3 weeks for me, I guess. I go to a gym that sounds a bit similar to yours.-- old school body building, rock music , no nonsense. It's a great place and full of super support. But the first step is painful. What is Dwayne's nutrition plan?
              Thanks Life, nice to hear that someone enjoys my rambling As to your questions/comments-
              1. I had a 3-week lapse in training and knew I had to make returning to it a priority. The lactic acid buildup in my legs from squats was brutal, but nothing else much to speak of. As far as fear of going back, I know the feeling- usually, it means we should really dig in and do it instead of avoiding it, whatever "it" is. I read a fantastic book on this concept that I highly recommend- it's free on amazon, no less. It's nothing short of a GAME CHANGER for me, check it out. Amazon.com: The Flinch eBook: Julien Smith: Kindle Store
              Then, get your ass to the gym!
              2. Re the Rock's diet- I don't actually follow this diet (cream of wheat, etc) but you can find it here-http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/24/the-rock-dwayne-johnson-hercules-diet/
              But, what I was referring to that I follow is the concept of eating super clean for X amount of time, then rewarding at the end with a ridiculous amount of delicious junk. After 150 days of eating clean The Rock allowed himself a "legendary" cheat day. 12 Pancakes, 4 double dough pizzas, and 21 Brownies. @ WTF Pics
              For me, I'm going to do 30 days of insanely Spartan diet then crazy pizza etc.

Though, I messed up on this due to a drunk on Monday night, so I'm still picking up the pieces and getting back on the horse, not to mix metaphors...

Comment

oops, double post, deleting.

Comment

KatheCiscol;1569539 wrote: I am hoping to incorporate a diet plan as well. Quite recently i have gained a lot of fat in belly and i gotta remove that for sure.
                  Right on, Kathe- do so and check in on these MWO fitness forums, and we'll all help eachother stay on track

Comment

Yesterday- trying to shake off the cobwebs of a hangover, decided to make a workout a priority- was glad I did, it lifted my mood. Did heavy deadlifts, bench, and back. Felt good after

Today, feeling sore in my lower back for sure. Today's a rest day- might see about some stretching/yoga.

Comment

Great job, Skull-- I'm so glad you came right back and you've got a great attitude.
                      I tried to check out the book, but I don't have a kindle-- looks like a really good read though. I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow at 9am, come hell or high water! I'm already feeling better, relieved that I didn't give in to the sugar cravings today. Did have some dried fruit, but in my book a bit of that is fine.
                      Keep us up to date on how you're doing!

Comment

Thanks, Life As for the book, I believe you can just download the book and just read it on your computer like a pdf/ebook, if that's of interest to you. Here's how. Amazon.com: Kindle for PC - Read Kindle eBooks on your PC

Yes, good for you, get your ass to the gym tomorrow at 9, or even today if you can! Good for you on no sugar today I think dried fruit is a good substitute, as is a bit dark chocolate (85% cacao or above), in my opinion... though just a little!

Comment

Day 3 of eating healthy (Rock diet). Scale read 197 today, that made me feel good that I hadn't rocketed back up over 200+ in my last beer/junkfood relapse binge on Monday/Tuesday.

Feeling good today, but sore from the deadlifts I did on Wednesday. Usually after a workout, it's not the 1st day after that feels the most sore- it's the 2nd. That's today and I'm definitely feeling it. Gonna get my ass to the gym promptly at noon. Between drive time, stretching, and workout, hope to be back by 2:30-3pm at latest.

Today I'm doing squats, bench, back. I'm hoping that I won't have decreased energy too much from Wednesday's deadlifts.

Comment

Day 4 of Rock diet. Feeling slow and meh today. I took too many sleep aids last night in attempt to get to sleep and ignore the itchy hives I get every now and then. Sluggish today... at least the hives are gone for now, though they usually persist for 4-5 days so we'll see if they come back this afternoon. If so, I just have to bear it and not take any Benadryl because I have lots of work to do today and can't be drowsy.

Anyway, great workout yesterday. Squats, bench, rows, and surprised myself by being able to do 6 pullups (variations- wide grip x2, close grip x2, and chinup grip x2). That was a definite happy surprise.

Weight-wise, scale read 199 lbs today. Bummed about that- but I guess not too surprised since I ate white rice and 2 slices of gluten free bread with peanut butter. "Safe" carbs but I still have 20+ lbs of fat to lose before I'm at my ideal weight, so going keto today and tomorrow for sure, and will keep that up going forward except for 2 or 3 times a week I'll load some carbs after workouts.

My ideal weight would be 180.

Today is a rest day, so is tomorrow though I may try to do sprints or look into Krav. Most importantly, I'm staying sober. No beer= no junk food= no cigarettes.

Comment

Day 5 of Rock diet. Ate very clean yesterday, and very paleo/keto. Veggies/berries juice, protein shakes, meat. Feeling frustrated because I can't seem to get the scale to go lower than 199 lbs. I seem to just sit here no matter how cleanly I eat. Even if I get it down to 197 as I did the other day, any carbs at all (which I need to have at least a little, on workout days) will make it jump back up to the range of 199-203. Seeing the scale at 203 or so is very disappointing.

Ideas on fine-tuning diet- maybe give up the dark chocolate alltogether for a few days.

I'm wondering if it'll be more effective if I stop lifting weights, and thus needing to consume many more calories, and just do a "cut". I'd love to be down to 170 lbs. That'd be really really lean for me. I've been weightlifting partially because I'd read that it'd help me lose fat to also build muscle.

Wondering if I should just stop weightflifting for now, try to get down to 170 lbs, and then pick back up lifting weights at that point to build up to 180 or so. Or if I should just stay the course for a bit longer.

I think maybe I'll stay on this course til the end of October and then make the decision.

Upside- no alcohol/cigarettes/junk food in my forecast today. So I can still consider today a win. Also, I need to continue my mantra... "strong and positive". I need to remember when I'm feeling grouchy and sour, as I am now, that I CHOOSE to be happy or not. I control my mood to large degree, and I can change it if I try.

Choose to be happy, dude. Do it. OK, I'm already feeling a little better.

Comment

Working...
                              X