Am I an alcoholic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I an alcoholic?

For me, it's important to admit that I am an alcoholic. It's been a long time coming, but I know that normal drinkers do not:
    -Hide their drinking.
    -Secretly dispose of empty bottles.
    -Have almost daily hangovers.
    -Feel rotten about self after binging.
    -Worry about internal organs.
    -Drink whole large bottles of wine at a time.
    -Drink hard & fast.
    -Obsess about alcohol (when, where, & how to get it & drink it).
    I'm on day 2 AF & want to see the zeros mount up on drink tracker; however, I know the urge can strike at any time. Thank you all for listening & being there. I haven't been so honest w/anyone in years.
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Am I an alcoholic?

To scared to admit that just yet.
    Heart versus head. Head is trying to convince me I'm not. Heart aint sure !!

A -x-
    Just believe - that's all you have to do

:lilangel:

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

I so appreaciate your honesty and what you have written. You are right. Social drinkers wouldn't be thinking of those things, we do. That's why we are here. Great job on day 2 and I wish you the best on all the days to come. Again thanks for being so honest that's what makes this place so great.
      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

RET
        Good work on being 2 days AF! I fail all those Are You an Alcoholic tests, too. Just admitting to yourself that you have a problem with alcohol is enough to address it. Forget about the label, this isn't AA, but focus on the quality of life you would be enjoying AF than what you have with the binge drinking, hangovers, anxiety about booze and so on.
        "There are two types of education... One should teach us how to make a living, And the other how to live.? ― John Adams

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

What Zin said...no labeling, just forward movement. Life is a journey, and this site is a great place to ride with.

The only things we can control is our thoughts and actions/reactions.

sunny
          :rays:

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

Very good list Ret. I realized when I was constantly obsessing about the state of my liver I might have a problem. You are so right that social drinkers would never think twice. Great job on two days AF. And wishing you many, many more days AF in the future.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

ret,
              I am an alcohoilc.
              I've done all that stuff.....and more
              That's why we are here.
              DrinkTracker is a very good tool.

Well done.

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

Reteacher, your words ring very true, and I can honestly admit that once I truly admitted to myself and others that I was an alcoholic everthing seemed to get easier.

It's amazing how our minds can work, isn't it? We can deny and deny, saying this time I will be able to control it - but for me it never happened. Only after I accepted it was I able to move forward.

Great insight and thanks for posting (and sharing your journey with us).
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

It couldn't hurt...

Ret ... to get bloodwork done and a profile done so you can see if there is damage to your internal organs. Ask for it when you get a cholesterol test , also glucose is key because alcohol is high in sugar. Again, just a suggestion -- but I had it done & wake up call for me!!!!! May 11th will be 30 days! LaLiz

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

hi Ret,

Yep, failed them all - but still can't use the term 'alcoholic' - lack of courage I suppose. I recognise that I have a problem with alcohol and have verbalised that (both to myself and others), and in whatever form it takes, I agree that honesty with ourselves is crucial to our recovery. So whatever it takes to give an extra edge to our determination to beat it, then use it!

Thank you for your honesty - it's quite a reminder to read the list - this is why I don't /can't drink any more! Many congrats on your 2 days AF - long may it continue climbing.
                    :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
                    Goals:
                    Days 1-7 DONE
                    Days 8-14 DONE
                    Days 15-21 DONE
                    30 days DONE
                    60 days
                    100 days

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

the disease based groups say it's a disease, but there is no test. how can that be?
                      there are implications that it might be genetic but no proof.

also, i find that an addictive person has compulsive problems in a lot of other parts of life.
                      in my opinon, it's the compulsive nature that is the main point, not the substance.

also, presumably, the word alcoholic also is not supposed to include all those heavy drinkers who function well and don't black out, but who can't enter a room without grabbing a drink.

i prefer "alcohol dependent" and i think that covers all of us here on the site, aside from those in the poor family and loved ones section!!! some people have very severe dependency problems, those are the ones we would traditionally call "alcoholic".

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor...

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

At this time I am not ready to say I am an alcoholic, I am 12 days AF and I don't get cravings, I can go awhile without, its just when I break down and give in, usually if I am very stressed that I binge, I'll start in the evening and then, back again in the morning until a few days have passed and I finally fall apart.

What am I ? I don't know. Who am I ? Sometimes I don't know any more.

kitkat
                        AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                        Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

I absolutely know that I am an alcoholic, I always tell myself I will just have one. My most recent episode was on Friday, decided to work from home, thought bthere was no alcohol in the house. But, I had asked my husband to get rid of all the alcohol but what he did was put it all in a box and "hide" it in the garage....I found it and by 2 p.m. I was so pissed I couldn't even talk, So what did I do? I went on a conference call and I can't remember what I said, or even if it was legible. Things just got worse from there. I feel so lost...I fail every test there could be for an alcoholic. Today I am going to the doctor because I so need help. My kids think I am sick and they are so sad....why me...I really ned help to stop this thing.
                          Thank you all for being there....please give me guidance how do you do it...........

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

Happy3B, I don't have any advice for you since I'm just starting out myself and trying to figure things out.

Rett, I think of myself as "addicted" to alcohol. I do all of the things you listed and also worry about all of the brain cells I've destroyed. I also think about the terrible damage I have done to my self-esteem and just know that I'd be a happy, healthier person if I could put the alcohol aside.

Today is a new day, here, and I'm going to give it my best try. Today, I truly don't want to drink any alcohol.

Comment

Am I an alcoholic?

Thank you everyone. I am in day 3 AF. I feel great physically, emotionally, & spiritually. I know I can't get complacent, because that is when I drink. I want to get through this weekend (Fri. thru Sun. AF). It is now Sun. AM & I haven't had a drink all weekend. This is a rare weekend for me. Anyhow, good luck to all of you out there. Please keep coming here. We need each other.
                              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X