Where do I concentrate? Lose wt or AF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhetorical question because I have already decided. I am very unhappy with my wt, am talking 5-7 lbs but clothes don't fit, I feel thick. And those of you who know me know I exercise.

Am much more unhappy with wt than amount I drink. Experience has taught me that I do well on a Fast-5 way of eating plan. This means I fast for 19 hrs, eat in a 5 hr window. This not only cuts calories but since 95% of the time I don't drink until 5-6p, it also cuts my drinking time. Please no naysayers about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Ya right, says the cereal makers and upside down pyramid.

When you read the abs threads they hammer eat, eat, eat. and I'm sure many lose wt because they are not drinking which is wonderful. Personally, I have never felt that to be the case, but I respect that.

Rather than concentrate on stringing AF days in a row, this WOE which in itself limits my drinking is where I choose to be right now.

TMH
    The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Hey, TMH! My belief is that each of us is so different, we have to go with what works for our own bodies. If this is what works for you, fantastic! My own body needs input frequently... I get low blood sugar and the shakes and start thinking about chewing off my husband's fingers if I don't have something in the tum about every three hours. My favorite breakfast is spinach microwaved for a couple minutes with a poached egg on top. (Well, that is my favorite DIET breakfast. My really favorite is the omelet with hashbrowns and toast, you know....)

I'll join you. I have 20 pounds to drop, way more than you. But since both of us are pretty physical, we can do this thing.

Comment

I'm in too. I am the neverending 10 #s over of what I like so I am going to jump on board and fight the battle of the bulge with you both. There are so many different diet plans and books I have read that my head spins. The high protein/low carb has worked well for me, but now we are cutting out so much protein as we've had reduced our meat intake to the extreme so I am struggling too I do know that the body burns AL first, before any food, so it is easier to lose when not drinking. Maybe another reason to really try to moderate to the max.

:l
      Eve11
      "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

NNG and Eve, so nice to have company. Do you want a weekly c/i? We can post weight or not. It could be Starting Wt. (SW), Current wt (CW), Goal wt (GW) or just ok, weighed myself, and one week later lost "X" lbs.

There is an app called Happy Scale that I've just started using. It's free.

NNG, agree not one size fits all. Eve, hear you on the low protein. I tried Vegan B46, loved the recipes, but only after a few weeks with no animal or dairy fat during day and protein pretty much only at night, my hair got very dry. Hairdresser even commented on it.

I am going to have Friday as my weigh-in day. Ok with you?

TMH

Comment

Yikes! You are starting before Thanksgiving? Okay. Yep. I'll do it. Whew. I don't imagine I'll lose any weight this week, but do plan on being more active, and logging some good miles to counteract the holiday meals.

I'll go with how ever you'd like to on the weigh in. I think I'd be more comfortable posting lost pounds, unless we go to PMing. Really, too many folks lurk to be completely upfront on the boards.

Comment

Interesting day. Broke my fast at 1:30. Watching MN gophers/ WI Badgers game and dh wanted hot dogs w/ sauerkraut. That and french fries doesn't make for a nutritious dinner BUT while watching game had 2 gl of wine and took my last sip at 6:30p. Eating/ drinking Window closed. So a successful Fast-5 day and Moderation day!

TMH

Comment

Yesterday was a repeat of Sat. Today? Not so much. Have made decent food choices so I'm not upset with myself, just going with it. Have not worked out, going to go see chiro for an adjustment later this afternoon. May just take the day off exercise wise.

TMH

Comment

A very good day today, at least so far. Just returned from Fitness Center. Did strength training, ran/walked 3 miles, biked 5 miles, planks, sit ups, stretched. Drinking some lemon water and only have 1 hr to go before break fast. Chiro did wonders, leg feels good now.

TMH

Comment

Hi ladies. Does your weight fluctuate a lot? Mine does. Yest Happy Scale told me I would reach my goal wt in Mar, '14 at rate I'm going. Took it with a grain of salt considering after holiday weekend. This was after recording lowest wt since starting. Fast forward to today.

Woke up early feeling fine. Worked out increasing TM time to 4 miles that included hill work. Cleaned house, broke fast at 3p. Decided to input this am wt which was an increase. Now Happy Scale says i'll reach my goal in Dec '14! Well this lady is going to prove it wrong!

Eve- going to experiment this week without the alcohol or as you say "moderate to the max". That way if I wake up hungry I'll picture body burning off the fat, not alcohol! I take it it was The Skinny Book that changed your WOE. Have you noticed any difference w/o as much protein? My hair got dry, a problem I had never had.

Well, know tough time of year bur still hope you all jump in yet this month. I can, however, talk to myself. LOL

TMH

Comment

Hi there

I have been abstinent for nearly 14 months and I did not do this through eating to the max. In fact I have lost a lot of weight since quitting AL.
                    I find that I am more aware of my eating choices now - esp in the evenings - and gradually my sense of taste has been revived since quitting. I don't eat a lots of sugar or fat - but never have (apart from when I drank AL). I also bulk my main meal up with salad or vegetables.

I do drink a lot of bubbly water, and I indulge in caffeine early in the day and then decaf later on.I try never to get really hungry. there is a difference between eating junk to quell cravings and eating regular meals. It takes a bit of planning. Actually I find cutting out junk like crisps or chips - was important - as that used to be associated with drinking.
                    Sadly for you I believe in having breakfast!

And I eat more chocolate and ice-cream than I did when drinking. These are my treat foods but I save this for late at night - and I don't have big portions.

Its individual but I Hope this helps and good luck!

Comment

Hi Treetops. So happy to hear of your success on losing weight just by quitting drinking. And making healthier choices as you said. I don't do a lot of sugar and absolutely cannot at night or will not sleep. My dh loves his ice cream at night too!

No need to be sad for me. As NNG and you said, everybody is different. Thanks for sharing what has worked for you. And kudos to 14 months AF!

TMH

Comment

Morning, my dear TMH!
                        I promised I'd jump on board and I have been very hesitant! I do apologize. I still haven't weighed myself yet, as I know I am carrying some holiday pounds. BUT, I am now with you and will continue to work it. Good long walks (no running... hate running on ice) and am done with the holiday food. My goal (by spring, maybe) is to get back down to my weight when I completed the NYC marathon... that is probably about 20 (well, maybe 25 after Thanksgiving) pounds away, but with your help, I'll get there.

Thanks for keeping us going. Don't want you to have to talk to yourself!

Comment

Nng, do younhave access to a treadmill? When in the snow & ice country I not only belonged to a workout club I owned a TM. I taped tv shows and watched while I ran. If I was training for Boston (beg of April) I had to be doing long runs in Feb & Mar. What year did you run NYC? Best marathon, IMO.

But, hey, thanks for hopping on board. Walked to store to buy a newspaper. Farther than I thought, took me 1.5 hrs so figure 6 mi. Mon it was 4 mi, yest golf + 2 mi. Feel like I'm in a groove.

TMH

Comment

Hiya, TMH. We don't have a treadmill and I no longer belong to a gym (one of the $$ saving things about retirement) but we do have an Airdyne which we both use. It lives in the livingroom during the bad weather months and scolds us when we don't saddle up and ride.

Comment

I remember the airdynes. Tony Horton on Fox News right now promoting 30 min workouts. I can't do those fast moves anymore.

Learned about an interesting concept to lose weight on the other website I frequent. (Fast-5). Count bites. This lady started out at 80 bites/day and averages about 25/day now. that I don't understand as she said she lost 9.8# the 1st week eating 80. found my ol' lap counter and tried it yest. Kind of lost count during my 2nd drink. LOL. Yes, each swallow is considered a bite. But if I had to guess, I think I may have had about 60 bites total yest. Took almonds with me on golf course, ate 5 and thought oh my gosh each little nut is a bite. Makes you look at food differently.

TMH

Comment

Working...
                              X